The Librarians of the Forgotten Sanctum are some of the most devious enemies in the game but it doesn't end with them, most enemies in the DLC are very tough. The vithracks aren't the worst and the spore enemies are tolerable but the high level humanoids like the Librarians are just horrifying. Notably, the high level monks/barbarians are simply awful. In my current run I have a Barbarian Watcher and it took me so long to figure out why he would instantly die when engaged by the Librarians. It was because of Barbaric Retalliation chaining between the 2 fighters leaving both instantly dead after getting into a barb retalliation loop. Not only the Barbarians but the Monks are also horrifying. They run up on you and do tons of damage and CC you. Moreover, they have amazing defences and plentiful resistances/immunities. Are there any good strategies to dealing with the FS librarians? 

1 hour ago, summatsupeer said:

I think one of the key things I had for my barbarian was Nemnoks Cloak so doesn't die from the loop, though it was 1 per rest.

Are you playing solo?

Nemnoks Cloak/BDD is the only thing I've found that works consistently. I considered trying to CC them away from my Barb so the loop couldn't go off but it was hit and miss.

If memory serves the Librarians have nasty offensive abilities but aren't particularly resistant to melee damage. I think on my most recent run I just tried to burn them down quickly before they could bring their nasty offensive abilities to the forefront.

Xoti using Mohora Tanga plus Whispers Of The Wind/Heartbeat Drumming really helped clear a lot of those encounters for me. 

So pretty much what @Fab3686said lol. Wotw + Mohora Tanga is nasty and solves a lot of problems 

Edited by masterty66

They dont are immune to resolve afflictions right? Frightened make them unable to cast WotW. 

The ability from Veilpercer Disruptive Arrow or the Silence from Last Word can also work.

If you have a wizard in your party, I didnt try this but the form of the Helpess Beast should work as a Last Word effect.

Maybe, for Frightened affliction, that can unable also their passive Barbaric Reliatation and Heartbeat Drumming.

The fight in this DLC are tough, but not to the level of Abbey of the Fallen Moon in PoE1.

Abbey of the Fallen Moon was maybe my favorite place in all PoEs (beautiful place and incredible lore). And Oh boy it was stressful for about the same reason (high level Kiths with plenty of nasty abilities and... monks !)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Elric Galad said:

The fight in this DLC are tough, but not to the level of Abbey of the Fallen Moon in PoE1.

Abbey of the Fallen Moon was maybe my favorite place in all PoEs (beautiful place and incredible lore). And Oh boy it was stressful for about the same reason (high level Kiths with plenty of nasty abilities and... monks !)

On subsequent runs I figured out you could be mostly peaceful and avoid most fights there. My first time through I think I battled my way through and lord was it tough lol.

But you can be peaceful mostly and only fight Kaoto and a few of the Monks in the basement

• Like 1

1 hour ago, masterty66 said:

On subsequent runs I figured out you could be mostly peaceful and avoid most fights there. My first time through I think I battled my way through and lord was it tough lol.

But you can be peaceful mostly and only fight Kaoto and a few of the Monks in the basement

iirc you can do a surprising amount of sneaking around to avoid conflicts. for some of the stuff you don't need party-wide sneak, just one really good sneaker while the rest of your party hangs back, such as nabbing all the books in the basement.

3 hours ago, thelee said:

iirc you can do a surprising amount of sneaking around to avoid conflicts. for some of the stuff you don't need party-wide sneak, just one really good sneaker while the rest of your party hangs back, such as nabbing all the books in the basement.

Never tried the sneaking route so couldn't say, but you can just talk your way through almost everything. Only required fights are the monks in the basement when you open the loud door and then Kaoto after you drown (or free) the monks in the basement.

11 hours ago, masterty66 said:

Never tried the sneaking route so couldn't say, but you can just talk your way through almost everything. Only required fights are the monks in the basement when you open the loud door and then Kaoto after you drown (or free) the monks in the basement.

oh lol i completely misread and thought you were talking about FS, not the abbey, my bad

• Like 1