Besides Megabosses, Is Neriscyrlas The Hardest Single Boss Enemy?

In my last playthrough the only lone boss style fight that gave me a problem was Neriscyrlas. I walked into it hoping my Ascendant Cipher + SoT Priest could handle it but man was I wrong. The dragon is quite a foe and put up significant resistance. I didn't have nearly as much trouble with any other boss fight (Menzaggo, Beast of Winter, Jaderfelas, etc) as I did with her. The water dragon gave me a bit of strife but I still beat it in one shot so I am just curious if there are any other major battles like this that have a really tough single foe.

Not the Oracle? Also when going to Ukaizo after killing Megabosses and with upscaling the Guardian is a lot worse imo. 

With some fire stuff, especially Combusting Wounds and reliable interrupts, for example Spear caster + modal or Thrust of Tattered Veils, I find her pretty manageable. Preventing her from casting Llengrath's Safeguard is a key to an easier fight. I usually don't even use the support from the King, Inquisitor etc. 

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

25 minutes ago, Boeroer said:

Not the Oracle? Also when going to Ukaizo after killing Megabosses and with upscaling the Guardian is a lot worse imo. 

With some fire stuff, especially Combusting Wounds and reliable interrupts, for example Spear caster + modal or Thrust of Tattered Veils, I find her pretty manageable. Preventing her from casting Llengrath's Safeguard is a key to an easier fight. I usually don't even use the support from the King, Inquisitor etc. 

Uh I didn't find the Oracle super troublesome though it was tough, I think maybe I had so much trouble with Neriscyrlas since my party was dealing a lot of cold damage and not much fire damage. 

The difficulty with Neriscyrlas is his high will that make debuff hard to hit. But she is not resistant vs Con affliction, so with a way to Enfeebling her, the siphon dont regenerate her . The Veilpiercer is a good way to reduce his buffs, or Glacierbane if you crit her.

Neriscyrlas is a vessel and if you have Amaliorra, the +10 acc and +20% damage bonus work on any attack. The Charms of Bones can also help (+5acc vs vessel).

Also an SC Monk with Resonant Touch (=raw dmg) in combination with blunderbuss is very useful. 

The easiest way surely is to use Lover's Embrace with Gouging Strike from stealth or invisibility and Brand Enemy - and then just wait. ;)

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

2 hours ago, Elric Galad said:

My bet on the Frightened Child.

The Forgotten Sanctum fight? I did find many of those challenging but mostly because if you let any of the casters get off a Missile Salvo it is just game over. The Salvo also lagged my game a lot so that made it extra hard. That fight specifically is very troublesome as you are locked in and surrounded. IIRC you can get some of the automatons to aid you in battle and those helped greatly.

• Like 1

I guess it's not a single enemy but I always find Maerwald (if you consumed his soul) to be one of the tougher fights. The soul mirrors are annoying, and some of the Maerwald copies are tanky or do nasty abilities.

It was many playthroughs ago but I remember the toughest fight I ever had was vs Sissak. I had Galawain's challenge on and iirc his spiders all rolled the ability that gives them regeneration. That was an extremely nasty fight that took everything I had.

I am much better at the game now though than I was then so maybe I just played it poorly. Was a while ago so dont remember.

Edited by masterty66

1 hour ago, NotDumbEnough said:

Soul Mirror fight can be tough but is easily cheesed by stripping naked before the fight. 

Interesting. Never thought to do that. I'll keep that in mind if it ever whoops my butt again lol. This past run I didn't have too awfully hard a time with it. Was still tough and I think I had to rez a party member or two mid fight but I managed.

On 9/28/2022 at 6:09 PM, patronkus said:

The dragon is quite a foe and put up significant resistance. I didn't have nearly as much trouble with any other boss fight (Menzaggo, Beast of Winter, Jaderfelas, etc) as I did with her.

did you recruit all the other souls? i find that if you're patient and have some sustain you can pretty much KO the second ner fight with using those other souls's abilities.

my personal vote would be for either Frightened Child as well, if we're just talking about unique named fights. Not just the plethora of enemies and high-level abilities, but I really hate monk knock-up interrupts and in that fight in particular it can be really ruinous to have an ally get disrupted by a knock-up. 

11 hours ago, masterty66 said:

I guess it's not a single enemy but I always find Maerwald (if you consumed his soul) to be one of the tougher fights. The soul mirrors are annoying, and some of the Maerwald copies are tanky or do nasty abilities.

It was many playthroughs ago but I remember the toughest fight I ever had was vs Sissak. I had Galawain's challenge on and iirc his spiders all rolled the ability that gives them regeneration. That was an extremely nasty fight that took everything I had.

I am much better at the game now though than I was then so maybe I just played it poorly. Was a while ago so dont remember.

Super funny you mention this. I did this fight today and had a Barbarian with Barbaric Retalliation in the party. I knew the feedback loop of Barbaric Retalliation from the Soul Mirror and my party member would just be insane so I used BDD on him first. I have to say watching my game stutter and lag before catching up seeing the following combat log was absolutely hilarious.

Capture.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 1