Random video game news... RNG 4 EVA

Keyrock

12 minutes ago, Wormerine said:

[sarcasm]Can't wait what brilliant humor Larian will bring to Boo, and to Minsc to join the other companions in BG3 explaining one after another why/why not they don't want to have sex with my PC[/sarcasm]

Aw come one, I'm sure Larian has written a few memorable characters in their games. I've played most of them and I remember...uh...give me a second, it will come to me...

I think there was a talking skull? Or was that Monkey Island? Or was that Morte?

giphy.gif

• Haha 5
  • Gasp! 1

1 hour ago, Keyrock said:

I, for one, am sick of elves because they're elves. Dwarves are cool, though.

Now you sound like a certain kanadian dwarf lover 😁

• Haha 3

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Microsoft signs 10-year ‘Call of Duty’ deal with Nintendo

Microsoft has signed a 10-year deal to bring Call of Duty, one of the world’s most popular gaming franchises, to Nintendo’s platforms for the first time in almost a decade, following its planned $75bn acquisition of Activision Blizzard.

The announcement came as the US technology giant tries to address antitrust concerns to pull off the games industry’s biggest-ever deal. The transaction faces in-depth probes in the UK and EU, while in the US, the Federal Trade Commission is reportedly nearing a decision on the deal.

Rival Sony has led industry opposition to the merger, arguing that any limitation on Call of Duty’s availability on PlayStation would harm the console’s sales.

In a bid to win over regulators, Microsoft has repeatedly argued that Call of Duty, the blockbuster game that has brought in $30bn in lifetime sales for Activision, will continue to be available on other companies’ game consoles after the deal, rather than being turned into an exclusive title on Microsoft’s Xbox.

I did get a chuckle about Sony whining about exclusives

Edited by ShadySands
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

https://www.eurogamer.net/ftc-suing-to-block-microsofts-69bn-activision-blizzard-acquisition

Good. I hope FTC manages to block them, MS immediately proved themselves with Starfield being MS exclusive.

Edited by Azdeus

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

7 minutes ago, MrBrown said:

I hope they don't, MS seems like it'll treat Blizzard's IPs better than Blizzard currently does.

Monopolies are bad, first of all, and I'd rather see them burn than that ****ing asshat Kotick get a single cent. Blizzard died a long time ago.

• Like 2

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Kotick has awarded himself rather a lot in bonuses over the years though, and will continue to do so if Activision isn't sold. Even if he somehow gets forced out it will be with a platinum plated golden parachute. The rules of the game are written so whatever happens, he wins.

But yeah, end of the day MS are most definitely buying Activision to add to their gaming/ xbox division, there really isn't any other possible reason; and if they're doing so it's because they believe that will drive profits via exclusivity. Their actions with Bethesda certainly will not be putting them in a good light for claiming otherwise either.

Edited by Zoraptor

Sure, I won't deny that, but atleast it's not as big a win if they can't get bought out.

Of course Microsoft is planning to make Activision/Blizzard titles exclusive to their ecosystem, they'd be stupid not to. I hate exclusives, I wish every game was available on every platform. However, exclusives sell systems, that's just how it is. Sony knows that better than anyone, that's how they've beaten Microsoft 3 straight generations and counting.

I don't personally care one bit whether this sale goes through or not. I haven't cared about a Blizzard game since Diablo 2 and I haven't cared about an Activision game since... ... ... /scratches head ... Interstate '76(?) I mean, I know CoD is a big deal, but I don't play CoD, nor do I have any plans on starting, so whatever.

• Like 3

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Arcanum 🤷‍♂️

• Like 4

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

15 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

Interstate '76

7c6.jpg

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mamoulian War said:

Arcanum 🤷‍♂️

Wait, was that really Activision? Well, they did buy my beloved Sierra On-Line, so I guess so.

I miss Sierra On-Line, and Troika, for that matter.

giphy.webp

Edited by Keyrock
grammar
  • Sad 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Now I want to play Arcanum again. Last time I did, I remember that it had major issues running on a modern OS. I did get it working enough to play it eventually, but it was a major PITA. That's one game that desperately needs a remaster. Not even to spiffy up the graphics or anything, just make it run on modern OSs without having to jump through 14 hoops of fire and add support for modern resolutions.

Conversely, they could follow the trend of adding ray tracing to old games so that you will need a RTX 4090 to run it at 25 FPS at 1080p. :p

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

5 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

Now I want to play Arcanum again. Last time I did, I remember that it had major issues running on a modern OS. I did get it working enough to play it eventually, but it was a major PITA. That's one game that desperately needs a remaster. Not even to spiffy up the graphics or anything, just make it run on modern OSs without having to jump through 14 hoops of fire and add support for modern resolutions.

Conversely, they could follow the trend of adding ray tracing to old games so that you will need a RTX 4090 to run it at 25 FPS at 1080p. :p

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1089130/Quake_II_RTX/

Here you go 😛

2 hours ago, Keyrock said:

Of course Microsoft is planning to make Activision/Blizzard titles exclusive to their ecosystem, they'd be stupid not to. I hate exclusives, I wish every game was available on every platform. However, exclusives sell systems, that's just how it is. Sony knows that better than anyone, that's how they've beaten Microsoft 3 straight generations and counting.

I don't personally care one bit whether this sale goes through or not. I haven't cared about a Blizzard game since Diablo 2 and I haven't cared about an Activision game since... ... ... /scratches head ... Interstate '76(?) I mean, I know CoD is a big deal, but I don't play CoD, nor do I have any plans on starting, so whatever.

So, we're just waiting for the announcement that WoW becomes an xbox exclusive?

I don't feel like I have a stake in it anyway. If it comes on PC and it looks like I would like it, I buy it (unless a demo convinces me otherwise). Never owned a console. Don't have any plans to own one 🤷‍♂️

That being said, it was actually a PC game that "forced" my hand and made me abandon my Commodore Amiga and build a (my first) PC. Damn Fallout Demo didn't run well enough on my PC emulator on the Amiga 😖

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Edited by Agiel
  • Like 2
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Not so much news, unless you didn't know Darktide has released, but good fun :)

Personal highlights from the show:

Returnal coming to PC. Nothing new, but it's been one of the PS exclusives that looked the most compelling to me (ourside Bloodborne/Demon Souls).

Hades2 - I have similar reservations I had when Hades1 was announced. A usually creative studio doing something generic - this time it is studios first sequel. That said, while Hades1 was good, it also was pretty underdeveloped in its individual aspects. Core rogue lite formula was very repetitive. I feel there is enough of space to expand for both in gameplay and its unique storytelling that doing a sequel could be a creativelly compelling project.

Continuing a trend of being excited for a game best on the studio making it:" from creators of Celeste", is good enough for me.

Baldur's Gate3 is slated for August 2023. Still have very mixed feelings about it, but the trailer looks mostly good. It seems Minsc is not being treated as playable Origin anymore, but that bring the question - was he removed as a companion all together. Are there no origin companions? If the latter then it is a great news. It is also possible that he and Jaheira will be "camp followers" - so NPC that hang around your camp but don't go out adventuring with you. There is a German article on the topic, if you know German.

Didn't Ken Levine leave Bioshock to do something different? Oh well, Judas looks very Bioshocky.

First one was a good time, hopefully this one will be even better

• Like 1