Quick open question for fellow visitors to this forum; how many times have you been around the wheel in PoE and Deadfire? I'm nearing the end of my second complete run-through and whilst I have a backlog of other games to play, I'm seriously thinking of immediately starting a third complete playthrough. (I'm usually a one-and-done player when it comes to CRPGs so for me this is quite unusual).

I've probably completed oh I dunno four or five plays. I've had many more where I've gotten halfway through and abandoned the run to make a new character or take a break from the game.

I've gotten better at not abandoning playthroughs over the years but it's still hard sometimes. There's always some new fun idea I wanna try. 

• Like 1

On 9/21/2022 at 4:43 AM, Vasvary5050 said:

I'm seriously thinking of immediately starting a third complete playthrough.

<meme>oh you sweet summer child</meme> i haven't racked up the hours that @Boeroer has, but I think I'm up ~1750 steam hours.

i play other games (Cities: Skylines probably second most often, and now Multiversus) but Deadfire scratches an itch that no other game can, not even the P:K/WotR games.

• Like 1

I think it has something to do with the forum. I didn't put that many hours into any game before as I did with PoE and Deadfire - and I played more when I was young, you know, Pools of Radiance, Eye of the Beholder, Baldurs Gate, Icewind Dale and also Monkey Island, Indiana Jones, Day of the Tentacle, Roger Wilco and all that stuff.  Many, many hours, too - just not that focused on one or two games alone. And always together with at least one friend, sitting on front of one computer. :) Almost never alone. 

Then I had a sick Diablo II phase during my time at the university (again with friends and cousins and stuff, doing LAN parties and whatnot) and years after that I (this time alone) played the heck out of FTL while I enjoyed parental leave and the child turned out to be some hibernating species (at least during the first months) - but the hours I put into those and the timespan over which I would return to the games over and over again weren't even close to the Pillars games. 

I think if you're a bit more involved in this forum and users constentinely (höhö) come up with new tricks and cool findings - or even cool themes and character concepts - or if you just get inspired by some stories or brainstorms - that brings you back to the game all the time - I mean if you like it in general. 

Without talking about the two game so much (here) I seriously doubt that I would have put so many hours in. 

A bit like what's going on with multiplayer games I suppose, just more decoupled. Since I don't like multiplayer games much (or better: the interaction between players in multiplayer games) this seems to be the best (or worst?) amalgamation of playing and interacting with other players for my dinosaur brain.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

@BoeroerDungeon Master, Eye of the Beholder, Baldurs Gate and Icewind Dale were classics I also played when I was young (though I somehow missed Pools of Radiance). And I get what you say about MMOs and forums. I went through an MMORPG phase (mainly World of Warcraft and Elder Scrolls Online) but nowadays just play single-player CRPGs like Deadfire and Pathfinder, and other tactical/strategic games and get my gaming community fix through forums and discord rather than in-game chat.

Edited by Vasvary5050