I need suggestions about this build | New Player

About me: Hey everyone, before I ask about the build I just wanted to tell a bit about me so you all can have an idea before you suggest something. I have always played RP games but I used to be obsessed with graphics so those were never old, or isometric games. But recently I wanted to get into that isometric part of RP games and I have always wanted to try PoE out, so my time has come. After trying out some classes I felt close to Cipher since Edér is the coolest guy and he can tank very well, I didn't want to be tank myself and include Edér. Also Aloth, his lore is so high and he is a good wizard so I didn't want that either. So since I am gonna be able to use weapons + spells on one character, now I am going Ranged Cipher. Here is the build so far:

Build
Class: Cipher
ATRB: MIG: 12 - CON: 10 - DEX: 14 - PER: 16 - INT: 16 - RES: 10 | Since I am new to this kind of RPGs, I didn't want to min max.
Race: Death Godlike | Just because I like that more damage to lower health enemies, also they look cool!
Culture and Background: The Living Lands - The one that gives Mechanics and Stealth, I don't remember it I am sorry!
Playstyle and Party that I want to go with: So since I don't have that much knowledge, this section might be cringe for some of y'all to read. I am planning to have 2 tanks, 2 melee damage dealers, one wizard and me. The fights I want to get the agro to the tanks then let the melee damage dealers do hit and run while wizard is dealing AoE from back and I am dealing damage with bow and using crowd control spells from back. Would this work, is this a good party formation? 
Weapons and Armor: Since I don't know the game I really don't have any idea about these, but since I am planning my tanks to tank everything I want to go with light armor. And for the weapons, I wanna use bows most of the time. But if I find a better enchanted firearm, I am gonna go with that. But, mostly bows.

Final words: That's pretty much it, thank you all already for the replies I am gonna get!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, eyyubi said:

I am planning to have 2 tanks, 2 melee damage dealers, one wizard and me. The fights I want to get the agro to the tanks then let the melee damage dealers do hit and run while wizard is dealing AoE from back and I am dealing damage with bow and using crowd control spells from back. Would this work, is this a good party formation?

Generally speaking it's fine. The only problem might be that a 4-melee setup will have problems in tight spaces. Meaning they will have issues with movement/reaching the enemies because they might block each other/stand on each other's feet. This an be solved with one or two melee reach weapons (quarterstaff or pike). Either as alternative weapon set which to can switch to or as main weapon choice.

Another thought: Priests are extremly valuable in PoE because they have very, very good and impactful party buffs (see Devotions for the Faithful - that spell alone is worth bringing a Priest) and also immunity spells against the most nasty afflictions (called "Prayer against <x>"). So my advice for the first run would be to include a Priest. They are not the best melee warriors - but they can be decent if build right, especially from the second row with a reach weapon.

since I am planning my tanks to tank everything I want to go with light armor.

As a ranged character you can totally do that. Enemy shooters might target you a lot more often though if your endurance/HP, deflection AND armor is low though. So it's a good idea to stay stealthed until the enemies have focused fire on your tanks. 

And for the weapons, I wanna use bows most of the time.

A war bow is one of the best weapon picks for a ranged cipher. The best war bow for a cipher is The Rain of Godagh Field, but it comes late-ish. Before that you can use any war bow that you come across. Hunting Bows also work. There's an early one (Massuk Hunting Bow) that does a little less damage than the normal Hunting Bows but not only deals pierce damage but also crush damage (if the enemies' armor is more vulnerable to crush than pierce damage). That's a good backup-bow for when you meet very pierce-resistant or outright -immune foes. 

So, war bow or hunting bow is both fine - and the dps will be better than with any firearm. Firearms have hogher dmagae per hit but lower spd due to their slow reloading speed. They are great to use with special limited attacks like Rogues or Paladins have - because then you'll get the most out of those limited attacks . Cipher's don't have such special attacks so they work best with high dps weapons (like bows).

PS: I forgot - welcome to the forum and congrats to the first post. :) 

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

22 hours ago, Boeroer said:

Generally speaking it's fine. The only problem might be that a 4-melee setup will have problems in tight spaces. Meaning they will have issues with movement/reaching the enemies because they might block each other/stand on each other's feet. This an be solved with one or two melee reach weapons (quarterstaff or pike). Either as alternative weapon set which to can switch to or as main weapon choice.

Another thought: Priests are extremly valuable in PoE because they have very, very good and impactful party buffs (see Devotions for the Faithful - that spell alone is worth bringing a Priest) and also immunity spells against the most nasty afflictions (called "Prayer against <x>"). So my advice for the first run would be to include a Priest. They are not the best melee warriors - but they can be decent if build right, especially from the second row with a reach weapon.

As a ranged character you can totally do that. Enemy shooters might target you a lot more often though if your endurance/HP, deflection AND armor is low though. So it's a good idea to stay stealthed until the enemies have focused fire on your tanks. 

Okay that makes a lot of sense. I will include one more ranged character rather than trying to manage 4 melees on my first playthrough lol.

And Priests are so cool and I probably need one like you said. I hope I will encounter a cool Priest and some point!

Yeah that's what I am planning, hope I will not get one shot when I fail to sneak lol.

22 hours ago, Boeroer said:

A war bow is one of the best weapon picks for a ranged cipher. The best war bow for a cipher is The Rain of Godagh Field, but it comes late-ish. Before that you can use any war bow that you come across. Hunting Bows also work. There's an early one (Massuk Hunting Bow) that does a little less damage than the normal Hunting Bows but not only deals pierce damage but also crush damage (if the enemies' armor is more vulnerable to crush than pierce damage). That's a good backup-bow for when you meet very pierce-resistant or outright -immune foes. 

So, war bow or hunting bow is both fine - and the dps will be better than with any firearm. Firearms have hogher dmagae per hit but lower spd due to their slow reloading speed. They are great to use with special limited attacks like Rogues or Paladins have - because then you'll get the most out of those limited attacks . Cipher's don't have such special attacks so they work best with high dps weapons (like bows).

PS: I forgot - welcome to the forum and congrats to the first post. :) 

I am using a hunting bow right now. But I haven't gotten far enough to find a regular hunting bow yet, just sleeping in the inn for free lol. But thanks for that specific War Bow suggestion!

And thank youuu! I love Obsidian games and Obsidian community a lot. I am glad I finally created and account. 

One final question though. Right now I have Edér and Aloth in my party. And just leveled up to level 3. My current quest is Caed Nua but I remember it was pretty tough over there. So at what level should I go there with how many people on my party? And what is the best way to find side quests and level up? Because as far as I saw doing quests is the fastest way to level up. So should I talk to any NPC I see and will find quests? Thanks!

You should def. do everything else before you go to Caed Nua. Basically do all quests before until you can't find any more (the number is limited) only then go to Caed Nua.

You will gain most XP from quests indeed. Fighting doesn't give you a lot. I'd still recommend to do all fights you can since new enemies do give a bit of XP but more importantly the loot can help you use or buy better stuff. Disarming traps and picking locks will give you decent XP in the early game. So make sure you disarm every trap and pick every lock you can (don't pick up keys unless you can't pick the locks) even if you could circumvent it.

Caed Nua is tough because of a fight right inside the castle. If you managed that fight the game will give you a long break regarding difficulty since you will gain access to a ton of new quests, many of them non-combat. 

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods