AI artwork

Gorgon

blank_tradingcard.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKI

Imput 

Dame Edna in the style of Mike Mignola.

The future of art or just hot garbage. 

So far I have not been able to reproduce the really impressive stuff I have seen, and I think the reason is that it can create an amalgam of things it has seen, but neither the ai or the person giving the imput truly understands what what's going on.  It's just rearranging from at database, no one really knows what success looks like beforehand.

The database itself is the impressive part. To be able to draw from an essentially unlimited amount of reference. 

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

5 minutes ago, Gorgon said:

blank_tradingcard.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKI

Imput 

Dame Edna in the style of Mike Mignola.

So far I have not been able to reproduce the really impressive stuff I have seen, and I think the reason is that it can create an amalgam of things it has seen, but neither the ai or the person giving the imput truly understands what what's going on.  It's just rearranging from at database, no one really knows what success looks like beforehand.

The database itself is the impressive part. To be able to draw from an essentially unlimited amount of reference. 

I dont have any understanding of art except for simple things but I definitely wouldnt  buy this

It just doesnt look like anything to me, sorry to be negative. Also I dont believe AI can recreate certain things that are intrinsically human or require a human to be significant 

Famous and beloved art needs the creativity  and imagination of a human brain and psyche and I dont see how AI will ever do that?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I love how people are being all coy with their imput, as if it were IP.

In the very loosest sense perhaps, you didn't do anything that took more than a minute or two per attempt.  

https://beincrypto.com/ai-art-wins-art-competition-invokes-metaverse-social-media-melts-down/

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/02/technology/ai-artificial-intelligence-artists.html

• Like 1

Na na  na na  na na  ...

That is all.

4 minutes ago, Gorgon said:

I love how people are being all coy with their imput, as if it were IP.

In the very loosest sense perhaps, you didn't do anything that took more than a minute or two per attempt.  

https://beincrypto.com/ai-art-wins-art-competition-invokes-metaverse-social-media-melts-down/

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/02/technology/ai-artificial-intelligence-artists.html

Thats interesting, AI art winning awards 

Guess I was wrong :grin:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

55 minutes ago, Gorgon said:

My first comment would be to oppose dichotomies like this that appear, interestingly enough, to become more and more prevalent all the time. It's not as if those are the only two options. Surely?

I remain very interested. I have listened to some AI-created neoclassical music, and some of it has been quite impressive, even. The strange and somewhat alienating constant has been the obvious soullessnes of the music; there's something that the AI still fails to grasp, in terms of construction, and this shows quite quickly and clearly. But I'm sure this will change. I am an expert in verbal art (prose, drama, poetry), and my current verdict on AI in that field would be "essentially all rubbish"; I know much less but still quite a lot about music, and my current verdict would be "fascinating but lacking"; I know quite a lot less about visual art, and there my current verdict would be "sometimes very cool, but I haven't seen anything that would really impress me -- I certainly wouldn't want any of that stuff at home".

@BruceVCsays that "Famous and beloved art needs the creativity and imagination of a human brain and psyche", but this is not true. The appearence of these things will do just as well (remember the Turing test?). Let's see where we are in twenty years.

Edited by xzar_monty
  • Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

1 hour ago, Gorgon said:

I would say both.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

The piece that won the competition has the normal telltale signs of it being AI generated (impossible brushstrokes, frightening slenderman-esque faces, fused/smeared/stretched details, and certain other visual patterns that I've never seen outside of AI-generated stuff that I have trouble putting into words...), but the people responsible for voting were clearly unacquainted and more impressed by the idea rather than the technique (the concept is neat and the the lighting looks pretty impressive).

• Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

29 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

The piece that won the competition has the normal telltale signs of it being AI generated (impossible brushstrokes, frightening slenderman-esque faces, fused/smeared/stretched details, and certain other visual patterns that I've never seen outside of AI-generated stuff that I have trouble putting into words...), but the people responsible for voting were clearly unacquainted and more impressed by the idea rather than the technique (the concept is neat and the the lighting looks pretty impressive).

To me the AI art looks like a frame from a sci-fi movie without motion smoothing turned off. It's ok when you're not looking closely but when you do there's just something off about it.

I'll second the "bleh".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

10 minutes ago, KP From Another World said:

It's ok when you're not looking closely but when you do there's just something off about it.

That's the interesting thing. That's what I was saying in my comment about AI-generated music above. What makes it interesting is that it's so easily recognizable from the whole of the work but rather difficult to pin down precisely. So, the sense of "this doesn't work" is right there, but giving a satisfactory answer as to why is not that easy.

• Like 1

AI is used in the field of literature already, though the quality of the said literature could be higher.
https://www.theverge.com/c/23194235/ai-fiction-writing-amazon-kindle-sudowrite-jasper
Regarding art, currently popular are DALL-E 2 and Midjourney, they have their limitations and applications. I don't think I would not be able to point out if an art piece was generated by an AI.
https://towardsdatascience.com/dall-e-2-explained-the-promise-and-limitations-of-a-revolutionary-ai-3faf691be220

I thought the art was in making the AI and training it. Not whatever individual attempts at results it produces 🤔

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Hmmm 1
  • Gasp! 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

6 hours ago, Gorth said:

I thought the art was in making the AI and training it. Not whatever individual attempts at results it produces 🤔

Geez Gorthfuscius, you have completely missed the point of this thread. Its about the Robots trying to replace humans ...and we MUST reject it and fight against it :aiee:

John Milton 

13 hours ago, Gorth said:

Now there's a software developer's mindset for you 😛

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

20 minutes ago, InsaneCommander said:

Some of the results are actually incredible.

This case is interesting, but the image was modified by a human:

AI Art Wins Art Competition, Invokes Metaverse, Social Media Melts Down

Was the second post of the thread and what at least some of us were already responding to, :p.

• Thanks 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

8 minutes ago, InsaneCommander said:

Oops... Should have paid more attention.

I wonder what kind of CRPG portraits it can create. Maybe I should try it some time.

https://www.craiyon.com/

Have a taste

craiyon_212708_rpg_portrait.png

• Gasp! 1
  • Sad 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

There are those "slenderman-esque faces" I was talking about earlier, :p

4 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

There are those "slenderman-esque faces" I was talking about earlier, :p

That's not how I'd describe them, but they're definitely bad. I just spent 5 minutes playing around with it and created some eldritch monstrosities before closing the tab.

On 9/12/2022 at 1:46 AM, Gorth said:

It's all building on research that goes back 20 years though. I couldn't do it, but hobbyists are getting in on the action now that the processing power is there on consumer grade PCs.  

I guess the point is that it owes rather a lot to the database. here is a collection of the greatest art humanity has ever produced, according to whomever. Without that database it's really nothing. The AI can certainly make it look the part, but it doesn't understand the why of it.  

A painting like the one that won the competition would take months to  produce. Is it good or bad that anyone can do it in 5 minutes. Well, I guess it's kinda like how anyone can use their PC to make music. Some of it is good, but it's also kinda the reason  nobody bothers to learn an instrument anymore. So yeah, if you are just some random person using the imput layer, that is definitely not the impressive part of it. 

Na na  na na  na na  ...

That is all.

14 hours ago, KP From Another World said:

That's not how I'd describe them, but they're definitely bad. I just spent 5 minutes playing around with it and created some eldritch monstrosities before closing the tab.

I did a test with a well known Pre-Raphelite artist asking for RPG portraits and the output mostly looked like the actual works of said artist with funky faces, which leads me to believe the thing was really only attempting to change the face.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

18 minutes ago, Hurlshort said:

Those look exactly like the Pathfinder Kingmaker portraits. :p 

e0c3e442ba841822b4d793cc6952e139111bbde0