Cinema and Movie Thread: I like to remember things my own way.

Chairchucker

14 hours ago, Chairchucker said:

Scarlett was fantastic in Jojo Rabbit imo.

Also that movie was just fantastic in general.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

The Lost City, via Prime.

The first third was actually pretty funny. Brain at your door rom-com in the flavor of Romancing the Stone, but with a more cheese-tastic, almost parody flair. Then it slowed down in the middle and never quite picked up full steam again. Still, not terrible. Brad Pitt's small role was great and Daniel Radcliffe was pretty amusing too.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Jojo Rabbit (2019). Wow, now that's how you do a heartfelt Nazi comedy drama. I wasn't sold on Scarlet Johannson as the mom for probably the first twenty minutes...or really, the film in general, but she and it proceeded to change my mind in a large way. Roman Griffin Davis was fantastic as Jojo.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

• Gorth changed the title to The Even Newer Cinema and Movie Thread

Continued from old thread:

@Amentep do me a favour and rename this thread to something more sensible and movie related? You know that stuff way better than I do 😝

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

50 minutes ago, Gorth said:

Continued from old thread:

@Amentep do me a favour and rename this thread to something more sensible and movie related? You know that stuff way better than I do 😝

Cinema and Movie Thread: The Gorth Cut

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

• Amentep changed the title to Cinema and Movie Thread: I like to remember things my own way.

IIRC Cardinal Richelieu doesn't have a patch in the book (nor did the real Richelieu), but in every adaption after Lee has been portrayed with a patch.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

There have been so many The Three Musketeers movies over the years, how come nobody ever follows it up with Twenty Years After? The only movie made from the second D'Artagnan novel that I'm aware of was a Russian movie in the 90s that I've not seen. I guess The Return of the Musketeers is LOOSELY based on Twenty Years After. I cannot possibly ALL CAPS, bold, or underline "loosely" enough.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

@BartimaeusI quite disliked Jojo Rabbit, and feel very alone in that camp (what's up with EVERYONE loving it so much?!). It wasn't smart and it wasn't funny. Though very different, I think Death of Stalin did satire much better.

In terms of Taika Waititi, I vastly preferred his Hunt for the Wilderpeople. When I think about it, I think I've just grown tired of his style of quirkiness. What We Do in the Shadows isn't as funny as it used to be either.

Edited by Maedhros

18 hours ago, Amentep said:

IIRC Cardinal Richelieu doesn't have a patch in the book (nor did the real Richelieu), but in every adaption after Lee has been portrayed with a patch.

lee is not richelieu in the the musketeers movie. charlton heston is the cardinal. lee played rochefort.

that said, is no mention in the dumas novels o' a rochefort eye patch, though he does have a noticeable facial scar. another quirk, dumas hired teams o' writers to author his novels, so is perhaps no surprise rochefort's description in dumas' works changes a bit. at one point rochefort is described as a swarthy man. later he is identified as pale.

as an aside, am thinking heston did a fantastic job as richelieu and is a bit o' an outlier for chuck as he ain't indulging his frequent shattneresque excess.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

3 hours ago, Maedhros said:

@BartimaeusI quite disliked Jojo Rabbit, and feel very alone in that camp (what's up with EVERYONE loving it so much?!). It wasn't smart and it wasn't funny. Though very different, I think Death of Stalin did satire much better.

In terms of Taika Waititi, I vastly preferred his Hunt for the Wilderpeople. When I think about it, I think I've just grown tired of his style of quirkiness. What We Do in the Shadows isn't as funny as it used to be either.

It's the only thing of Waititi's that I've watched. It's quite rare that I enjoy films (or shows) that fall under the "comedy" genre, and it's almost always the result of the film in question not really strictly being a comedy and making some actual attempt of being a meaningful movie via its characters and themes, which I felt Jojo Rabbit accomplished quite well even with its rocky first 20-30 minutes: the film took a definite turn for the better in my eyes once the third main character was introduced.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

14 minutes ago, uuuhhii said:

new version of all quiet on the western front

am ordinary opposed to what we see as unnecessary remakes o' already excellent films. however, all's quiet is not only an excellent film, but am thinking it is an important one, and if remaking every couple o' decades results in more people seeing at least one version o' the story, and perhaps even multiple versions, am gonna consider such an outcome to be a kinda victory.

given the recent reemergence o' angry and violent nationalism in democracies 'cross the globe, is clear that all's quiet is as relevant today as it were in the 1930s. we hope the new version speaks to audiences.

'course the nazis loathed the original, leading to bans in germany as well as brownshirt attacks on audiences before the bans were effective, which if nothing else should convince modern viewers the original were a film worth seeing. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Maedhros said:

You are alone. :p

My unpopular opinion is that What We Do in the Shadows is better as a TV show than it was as a movie. 

I tried to get my family to watch Highlander. My son was getting into it, but my wife and daughter were rolling their eyes a lot. The soundtrack still holds up, but I don't think I helped my cause by singing loudly along with it.

edit: I did forget how bad Highlander is in terms of fight scenes. We had watched Predator 1 and 2 recently and those held up better.

Edited by Hurlshort

3 hours ago, Gromnir said:

lee is not richelieu in the the musketeers movie. charlton heston is the cardinal. lee played rochefort.

that said, is no mention in the dumas novels o' a rochefort eye patch, though he does have a noticeable facial scar. another quirk, dumas hired teams o' writers to author his novels, so is perhaps no surprise rochefort's description in dumas' works changes a bit. at one point rochefort is described as a swarthy man. later he is identified as pale.

as an aside, am thinking heston did a fantastic job as richelieu and is a bit o' an outlier for chuck as he ain't indulging his frequent shattneresque excess.

HA! Good Fun!

Yes, I had a brain fart on Rochefort vs Heston as the Cardinal which is stupid as I just watched the films within the last year. 

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

1 hour ago, Hurlshort said:

My unpopular opinion is that What We Do in the Shadows is better as a TV show than it was as a movie. 

That's a fact, Jack. I heard that in Laszlo's voice and not just because I'm from Tucson, Arizonia.

laszlo-bat.gif

Edited by ShadySands
  • Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

32 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

That's a fact, Jack. I heard that in Laszlo's voice and not just because I'm from Tucson, Arizonia.

laszlo-bat.gif

I just watched an episode where the creature that crawled out of Colin Robinson is obsessed with Roblox and I now call my own son Colin Robinson. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, uuuhhii said:

new version of all quiet on the western front

I love the original movie. Will be looking forward to this one. That said, I haven't seen the original in a very long time now and I can't remember if there were tanks in it.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

19 hours ago, Maedhros said:

What We Do in the Shadows isn't as funny as it used to be either.

IIRC all of Taika's direct creative involvement with WWDitS was early in its run (?all Season 1?), so if you liked it early that was when his influence was strongest. Though any drop/ change in quality is more likely to be be due to Jemaine Clement leaving as he was always a lot more involved.

Hunt for the Wilderpeople is great, though I always wonder a bit how it reads without a certain amount of specific cultural knowledge, eg from a time when pixels were in a global shortage...

(One of a series; same ute is used in the film, and the driver in the ad (Barry Crump) wrote the "Hunt for the Wilderpeople" short story the movie is based off of)