Freedom of movement

I posted this on the Bioware-Forums, but it applies to Obsidian's games, too. So I just post it here again as I am curious, what the devs here have to say about it (if the answer :) ).

Yesterday I played KotOR again and while walking around in the different environemnts I wondered why I'm not allowed to exlore everything I want to. Especially in the Hrakert Rift I thought about how cool it would be, walking up the "hills" and not only on the pre-defined paths.

But this occurs to me in many new games and RPGs I play. Why don't we have the freedom of movement and exploration like in older games anymore? Why do the devs take us on our hands and guide us through the areas on pre-definded paths?

The only game I recently played with total freedom of movement was Gothic 2. You could walk up hills, fall down chasms, swim to the bottom of the sea etc.

I think this is a really strange decision to limit the freedom of exloration in modern games.

Maybe it has to do with how much code can fit on how many CD-ROMS? Expanding the explorable area would require more space on disk (install CDs).

If that alone is the fact, it only amplyfies my stand that it is time to migrate to DVD.

I posted this on the Bioware-Forums, but it applies to Obsidian's games, too. So I just post it here again as I am curious, what the devs here have to say about it (if the answer ;) ).

Yesterday I played KotOR again and while walking around in the different environemnts I wondered why I'm not allowed to exlore everything I want to. Especially in the Hrakert Rift I thought about how cool it would be, walking up the "hills" and not only on the pre-defined paths.

But this occurs to me in many new games and RPGs I play. Why don't we have the freedom of movement and exploration like in older games anymore? Why do the devs take us on our hands and guide us through the areas on pre-definded paths?

The only game I recently played with total freedom of movement was Gothic 2. You could walk up hills, fall down chasms, swim to the bottom of the sea etc.

I think this is a really strange decision to limit the freedom of exloration in modern games.

go play fable and if you don't like play a 24 bit game ot a 15 bit one

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

Sounds like Morrowind might be more to your liking. Most projects have a focus, and for KoTOR they sacrificed enormous terrains for character and plot development. In Morrowind, somewhat the reverse. Until they make systems big enough, and give developers time enough, I don't think we'll really ever have a satisfactory marriage of the two.

But that's just me.

Never assume malice when stupidity is to blame.

I posted this on the Bioware-Forums, but it applies to Obsidian's games, too. So I just post it here again as I am curious, what the devs here have to say about it (if the answer :rolleyes: ).

Bioware never give you much of a choice. Believe me.

• 5 weeks later...

I agree. I don't think it would be all that difficult to let people wander the country a bit. Even when playing KOTOR on a PC it gives you a very closed in feeling much like most of the games available for the consoles. Even the movement screams console game. That was my only complaint with KOTOR. Atleast that was the only complaint once I accepted the fact that it was single player and had no toolset. Oh, and only one race available for the PC. Considering how great of a game it was even without this other stuff. I can't imagine how great it would have been if Bioware HAD including these other things and still maintained the same quality.

Not to mention.. i spent enough time walking around aimlessly, why would i want to spend more hours being lost and not knowing where i was going. There woudl be no reason or benfits.... I hated morrowind and galxies... it was too....pointless.. and DONT even get me STARTED on the fighting aspects of those games

And they made this game in about a year and if they made it like that than who knows how long it would take too make.

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

Just because a game is huge, doesn't mean it has to be empty. Gothic 2 is both huge and full of living things and stuff to see and do. It also has well-developed characters and great quests. And one of the best things about Gothic 2 is that you're able to explore the entire island right off the bat, even when it means you can stumble into a dragon at level 1. I am hoping Obsidian at least makes Neverwinter Nights 2 somewhat like that, since they've already stated KotOR2 will have approximately the same map sizes as the first part.

I don't understand people who says stuff like "what's the point of wandering around aimlessly?".. What do you want? A corridor? It's called exploring.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Yeah, I know it's exploring. But what's the point of exploring? It depends on the plot for me.

Exploring isn't your job in KotOR, except to the extent you need to explore to find what you're looking for. Exploring isn't nyour job in BG2/ToB. Exploring isn't your job in any of the NWN campaigns.

Exploring is your job in Fallout 1, since you don't have the slightest idea where the thing you're looking for is. (Less true in FO2, since you've always got a good idea where to go next). The same could be said for the early stages of BG1, and if you install the expansion after winning BG1; my preferred method.

Exploration would have made sense in KotOR if the Star Maps had been harder to find. But this is just another way of saying that KotOR should have been longer, isn't it?

Just because a game is huge, doesn't mean it has to be empty. Gothic 2 is both huge and full of living things and stuff to see and do. It also has well-developed characters and great quests. And one of the best things about Gothic 2 is that you're able to explore the entire island right off the bat, even when it means you can stumble into a dragon at level 1. I am hoping Obsidian at least makes Neverwinter Nights 2 somewhat like that, since they've already stated KotOR2 will have approximately the same map sizes as the first part.

I don't understand people who says stuff like "what's the point of wandering around aimlessly?".. What do you want? A corridor? It's called exploring.

Gothic 2's island really isn't too big though. And it's easier to implement something like that as it is an island (as is the case with Morrowind). If you exclude running over the same ground multiple times, Knights of the Old Republic covers much more ground.

Futhermore, Knights of the Old Republic also travels to a variety of areas. It's easier to have freeform travel when you are limited to a single area. But KOTOR isn't.

ya well who doesn't wish the game was bigger?

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

I thought a really big part of it was the limitations of the X-box, and that they wanted to give the game good graphics.

Hey dotn Dis the BOX.... i personnally think the game play is better on the box, more comfortable adn more personanale, not all game play, just in Kotor. (if you debating on getting it for PC or BOx .. go for the box, my friened bought it on the PC and he admtis its better on Xbox), If they make it too big the graphix go down which would be bad!!! BAD BAD BAD, they would not be able to have the battle sequences as exciting, now you may be saying "HEY! the battle scenes in KOTOR were repetitive and not that good!" and you would be right but imagine how bad they WOULD be if they made the worlds bigger and more comlicated...