Suggestions requested for party setup for PotD with level scaling

Hi folks. I'm looking to start a new run in Deadfire, this time on PotD with level scaling. I've played through on veteran with level scaling so not totally new to Deadfire, but this time want to use a more custom party. I sort of half know what I want to run:

1) 2 Multi-class chanters (maybe a fighter-chanter and a paladin-chanter)

2) Eder as a rogue (probably as off-tank with dps)

3) Xoti as a priest (buffs, debuffs, and because I didn't have her in my party last playthrough)

4) Main Character

I want two chanters so one can focus on brisk recitation to pump out lots of invocations, and the other can focus on lingering chants, and I figure because of the way that enchants and the action-economy works, it would be best to put them in the front-line with heavy armour (as chants not affected by recovery penalty). Bit concerned though whether then having Eder on top as a melee is too much melee. So my first question is, does having 3 melee (fighter-chanter, paladin-chanter, Eder-rogue) sound okay for PoTD with level scaling?

My second question is, any recommendations for main character that will work with the above set up? Needs to be main damage dealer.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions! Vasvary-5050.

1 hour ago, Vasvary5050 said:

So my first question is, does having 3 melee (fighter-chanter, paladin-chanter, Eder-rogue) sound okay for PoTD with level scaling?

i think you should give one of them reach weapons at least, or at least give them all backup ranged weapons. there are enough doorways and narrow pathways where three melee can get tight. over time i've pretty much settled on two-melee and one-flex as pretty optimal. i've done more (three melee or three melee and one flex) but then you really need ranged backup and some abilities like leap or charge or escape that'll let you get around.

1 hour ago, Vasvary5050 said:

My second question is, any recommendations for main character that will work with the above set up? Needs to be main damage dealer.

you could probably do with an additional caster. any single-class druid, priest, or wizard will become aces at damage-dealing at high levels without much pre-planning. if you combine with chanter invocation to restore a resource (tier 9 invocation), you can open a fight with an extremely powerful tier 9 wizard/druid spell, get it back from the invocation instantly (since you start with max phrases), cast again. further you can empower one of those casts. this will outright end most fights (even some boss fights). (priests don't get a crazy tier 9 damage spell, but their tier 8 symbols fill the same role; cast twice, get one back, cast again; one of those casts should be empowered)

edit: multiclass casters are also good, i just raise those single-class casters as a recommendation because they're essentially foolproof for becoming damage kings eventually and it meshes well with having chanters at your disposal, one of which you could surely spare to open the fight with the resource-restoring invocation.

Edited by thelee
  • Like 1

I agree with @thelee. But if you are brining along Xoti as a SC priest then I'd recommend that your MC be a SC druid or wizard. In this case, the druid might have the edge for extra healing for the whole party. I recently played a SC Lifegiver and it was very powerful at the end game while keeping the party alive throughout the entire game. And making one of your chanters a SC chanter is an excellent idea for the reasons explained above. As for your other chanter, I'd recommend a Kind Wayfarer Herald, which would bring more to support the party. 

Thanks for the replies. In the end I decided to just stick to one chanter in the party for the early game (a kind wayfarer Chantadin) and made Eder a fighter-rogue so just two primary front-liners. Went for a Mind-Stalker (assassin/beguiler) for my main character. And the 4th and 5th slots will be a floating spots for whichever companions/adventurers/sidekicks I decide to bring along for particular quests. Will probably create a SC chanter and a SC wizard much later on when I get to a reasonably high level (as custom adventurers) for the reasons suggested by a few of you. Thanks again!