DoT, as status effects, are not affected by crit for their damages but their durations. They are affected by Might however.

Even if they come from weapon or spell, they are not affected by bonus damage to weapon or spells. Because their damages cant crit, bonus for crit damages are useless too for them.

Only generic damage bonus,PL bonus and Pen bonus (see in comments) can work, for exemple :

• High Harbinger's Robes provide +10% damages (for self's DoT)
  • Thaos' Headdress give +5% damage vs flancked (self)

• Crucible token , 15% vs designed enemy (self)

• Xoti's Lantern (Threshing Aura), <20% damage (everyone)

• Baubles of the Fin, +3% (everyone)

• Shattered Vengeance (Shards of Woedica) up to 25% taken (multiple effects can be obtain with summon by the way)

• (the list of items giving some PL bonus is below)

Maybe I forgot some other items, and some others are specialized :

• Dire Talon : Tooth and Claw ( +10 cc and damage against beast) is universal
  • Aamiina Legacy : Slayer of Beasts (+10 Accuracy and damage against Beasts) is universal
  • Wicked Beast : Wild Heart (+15% damage against Beasts) is universal
  • Amaliorra : Ash and Dust (+10 acc against Vessels) is universal
  • Amaliorra : Innevitable Decay (+20% damage against Vessels) is universal
  • Whispers of Yenwood : Soul Cutter (+20% Damage and +15 Acc against Spirits) is universal
  • Bane Spirit (+20% damage against spirits) is universal (from the Spoil of Caed Nua Mod)

There are also some abilities and passives that can increase the DoT damages

• Takedown Combo (ranger) give +100 damage until a new direct attack that deal damage (for everyone's DoT)
  • Hunter's Fang (ranger) < to 20% vs the enemies race (self)
  • Sworn Enemy (and upgrades, paladin), +20% damage vs designed enemy (self )
  • Inspired Beacon (paladin), +40% damage (everyone )
  • Blooded (barbarian), +25% damage when bloodied (self )
  • Wilder Hunter (barbarian), +25% damage vs wilder (self )
  • Fighting Spirit (human), +15% damage when bloodied (self)
  • Death's Usher (death godlike), +20% damage vs near death (self)
  • Infamous Captain (Watcher) +5% damage (self)
  • Ascended (Ascendant) +3 cipher PL, +20% damage (self)
  • Resting Bonus : Bloody Mess (The Kraken Eye, if you choose violence for resolve The Better Man) +10% damage (self)
  • Cleansing Flame (SC priest or scrolls) +100% tick rate during the effect

All these bonus are working on current and further DoT, and are not anymore effectives when over (Blooded, Fighting Spirit, etc)

For PL bonus, there are many way to gain some PL, from subclasses, races (godlikes), weapons, trinckets, ect. Considering only Generic PL, I made previously a topic about this, that take into account the scaling rules :

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/126420-prestige-enchantment-the-scaling-transcendant-suffering-overview/

For Keyworded PL, every bonus stack on top of generic PL but not from two same weapons (2 Sun and Moon allow +2PL, not 4, and 1 Sun and Moon  + 1 Magran's Favor allow +4PL).

By the same way, Acute and Brilliant from items seems to stack 1 PL with "ordinary" acute and brilliant. I'm not really sure because, when these effects are stacking, in the Character menu the second inspiration mention only the name of the inspiration, not the bonus (like ordinary).

• Lance of the Midwood Stag (Lord of the Forest) +2PL (generic) while under a plant status effect (self)

• Wicked Beast (Wild Heart) +2PL for Beast KW

• The Spine of Thicket Green (empowering Instincts)+3PL for Beast KW or  (empowering Lifeblood) +2PL for Plant KW

• Magran's Favor (Fiery/Blazing Core) +2PL for Fire KW

• Sun and Moon (Celestial Attunement) +2PL for Fire KW (day)

• The Weyc's Wand (after empowering something) +3 generic PL

• Spider Silk Robe (Poison Master) +2 Poison KW PL (require BPM to work)

• Mask of the Grotto Deep +2Poison KW PL (Require BPM to work)

• Some pets give +1 Fire KW PL

I'm not speacking about other KW PL because I dont see any DoT as Wind, Tempest, Electricity, Ice KW.

Alchemy increase the poisons (consumables) effect as well do generic and poison KW PL bonus. 

Arcana increase the scroll PL as well do generic and correspondant PL bonus. 

Edited by Constentin Lévine
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Power level boosts also increase DoT. For example, having Spine of Thicket Green with Empowered Instinct equipped will increase the damage dealt by Plague of Insects. And this isn't just on cast - it's reactive. If you unequip the Spine the damage of the spell ticks will immediately decrease on the creatures it is affecting.

an indirect way to increase damage is to increase PEN (indirectly also from PL). especially relevant on PotD. Importantly, the damage adjusts dynamically based on your current PEN, so once again crits don't help, but a buff like Tenacious or the chanter invocation (+3) or chant (+1) can be significant boosts to damage.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, NotDumbEnough said:

All universal damage bonuses should work including Ascendant's Ascended bonus in unmodded game.

I love how up to date this sentence is relatively to BPM, as I have corrected the "ascended damages bonus applying to everything" oversight less than one week ago 😉

• Like 1

On 8/21/2022 at 7:10 PM, thelee said:

an indirect way to increase damage is to increase PEN (indirectly also from PL). especially relevant on PotD. Importantly, the damage adjusts dynamically based on your current PEN, so once again crits don't help, but a buff like Tenacious or the chanter invocation (+3) or chant (+1) can be significant boosts to damage.

Lower their Gard work pretty badassely on DoT .

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Constentin Lévine said:

Lower their Gard work pretty badassely on DoT .

Nice find! In a similar vein: Cipher's Driving Echoes would especially boost DoT Damage output.

Edit: And maybe the bonus penetration of assassinate (not tested if it works for the whole spell duration).

Edited by Bosmer

1 hour ago, Bosmer said:

Edit: And maybe the bonus penetration of assassinate (not tested if it works for the whole spell duration).

That dont work for the DoT duration but the invisibility duration (when the icon "assassinate" is activated), so applying some DoT and then turn into invisible form give the +4pen bonus to the current DoT (from the rogue).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Also if you use mods:

- CP.Extra: Cleansing Flames adds +100% DoT tick rate. I.e. while the target is under effect of CF, DoTs on it tick twice faster

- Spoils of Caed Nua: Bartender's Ring: Spirit Bane: +20% dmg against Spirits, Vessel Bane: +20% dmg against Vessels

• Like 2

16 hours ago, MaxQuest said:

Also if you use mods:

- CP.Extra: Cleansing Flames adds +100% DoT tick rate. I.e. while the target is under effect of CF, DoTs on it tick twice faster

- Spoils of Caed Nua: Bartender's Ring: Spirit Bane: +20% dmg against Spirits, Vessel Bane: +20% dmg against Vessels

wow I tried this spell (with CP) and forgot to mention in my notebook! It is +100% DoT damage during the Cleansing Flames effect, and I forgot that.. Some weapons in base game have a similar effect than Spirit Bane, I edit the post.