So, I have this build in mind for my next playthrough of a Warcaller that spams his stuff. I think most people focus on Brilliant Tactican when building Tacticians, and neglect the fact that you generate Discipline when you interrupt. I want to take advantage of both. Chanter provides energized for easy interrupts, and you can also spam Charge.

My sequence would be the following:

Click + Disciplined Strikes + Unbending (+ Vigorous Defense) With Bronlar's Phalanxed equipped with Tactician upgrade, then charge in, restore discipline. Switch to dual wield. Then use "At the Sound of His Voice" to paralyze, then charge, rinse repeat. Paralyzed helps you crit, so skald returns phrases faster, you get to use "At the sound of his voice" for 2 phrases only, and if you also have something like a Cipher or Wizard helping to get Brilliant, then you have even more resources to play with.

Can use club modal to lower will even further (Kapana Taga also synergizes nicely with Tactician). Can also use Sungrazer/Sun & Moon to lower reflex if I want to use invocations targeting reflex, like "Seven Nights She waited". Sungrazer as far as I understand also adds "Blunt Rock" effect to chants that can crit, lowering crush armor of foes in AOE (like "Long Night Drink", which both set up a morning star barb pretty well, that sets up fort attacks even further with morning star modal, at which point every defense is lowered so everything should land). Sun and Moon obviously helps your chances of getting back both discipline and phrases. There is also Sasha to play with empower and fill phrases for "Their Champion Braved The Hoard Alone". So lots and lots of choices, Arms Bearer and Giftbearer's Cloth are things I love to play with on my watcher, probably would be used here too.

Priority stats would be PER/DEX/INT with reasonable MIG, dumped RES and low CON.

Feels like it would be very engaging watcher to play, so I could set the rest of the party on AI for the most and still not get bored. Planning to take Edér and Tekehu with me, maybe Maia/Serrafen, then the mandatory hired Ascendant/Ghost Heart.

Now my questions is: can you get back multiple phrases/discipline with a single Charge that hits multiple enemies? I know that Skald only gets back a single phrase even on a full dual wield attack with Sun & Moon even if it tripple crits, but Charge hits multiple targets, so I'm unsure.

Is there any fault in my line of thinking?

Edited by Zoda

3 minutes ago, Zoda said:

Now my questions is: can you get back multiple phrases/discipline with a single Charge that hits multiple enemies? I know that Skald only gets back a single phrase even on a full dual wield attack with Sun & Moon even if it tripple crits, but Charge hits multiple targets, so I'm unsure.

Is there any fault in my line of thinking?

Skald can only get 1 phrase back from an action. Afaik the number of enemies hit isn't relevant. I know of no way to generate more than 1 phrase per action. However, it is more likely to get 1 phrase back because multiple crits will each have the 50% chance to do so.

With Charge I think you get no phrase at all because it doesn't do weapon attack rolls. Skald only gets back phrases from melee weapon crits.

Tactician might get back more than 1 discipline - afaik here the actual number of interrupted abilities determines the outcome. 

By the way: Tactician doesn't gain 1 discipline when he simply lands an interrupting attack on an enemy. The enemy has to execute an ability/spell by the time the interrupt attack lands so that the ability/spell is really interrupted and lost. If that happens you get 1 discipline.  

• Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Just now, Boeroer said:

Skald can only get 1 phrase back from an action. Afaik the number of enemies hit isn't relevant. I know of no way to generate more than 1 phrase per action. However, it is more likely to get 1 phrase back because multiple crits will each have the 50% chance to do so.

With Charge I think you get no phrase at all because it doesn't do weapon attack rolls. Skald only gets back phrases from melee weapon crits.

Tactician might get back more than 1 discipline - afaik here the actual number of interrupted abilities determines the outcome. 

By the way: Tactician doesn't gain 1 discipline when he simply lands an interrupting attack on an enemy. The enemy has to execute an ability/spell by the time the interrupt attack lands so that the ability/spell is really interrupted and lost. If that happens you get 1 discipline.  

So my idea of chaining paralyze and charge won't work indefinitely :( kind of sad, but the build would still function I guess, just have to add something like chill fog or phantom foes and time everything so everything is under some CC effect.