Was Durance based on someone in real life?

I was doing some reading, about Grigori Rasputin. 

And I was like 'Man, he look like that crazy lunatic in POE'. Now I'm wondering if indeed they get the inspiration from there?

And before anyone say 'Well durance doesn't die like Rasputin', true. But they had similar beards 😅

And they both had that fever like holyness about them. They both cozy up to a higher power that get them burned. 

So, though?

I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?

Elderly Hive Dweller

Would love to hear the dev, if they haven't gone in Hybernation 😅

I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?

Elderly Hive Dweller

Durance was written by Chris Avellone.

He's not working at Obsidian anymore and I don't recall a thread or post where this was addressed (could have missed it of course). 

Maybe there's some place on the Internet where he said something about this. All I find is memes. ;)

• Thanks 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Too bad, I think it would have been interesting to hear the though process if indeed Rasputin was an inspiration for Durance.

But thank you for your time, and for looking! Very much appreciate it.😊

• Like 1

Elderly Hive Dweller