Originally I had a plan to play a pale elf with perception resistance gear and fight inside chillfog but blinded downgraded to disoriented isn't that great, the -50% recovery offsets the bonus from streetfighter (although the 50% bonus to weapon damage is still nice I guess).

I had an idea to play melee/blunderbuss but the distracted affliction doesn't last very long and full attacks from melee don't seem to trigger gunshots in that range so I'd have to alternate targetting different enemies to keep the bonus going (I don't want to play duel shottys).

Is there any other potential here? Any clever ways to inflict flanked with the wizard kit? Any other synergies that make this worthwhile?

2 hours ago, Okkes said:

Hi, just focus to stay below %50 percent health with blood sacriface and you're fine. Bonus recovery is huge, you dont wanna lose it.

Feels a bit squishy for melee which is what I'm trying to do though, 30 deflection from mirrored image is cool but I lose 10 of that for being flanked and another 15 if my attackers bloodied so full mirrored image bonus for only +5 deflection with less than 50% hp on a spellblade sounds kinda suicidal

Are there any nice synergies with this build?

2 hours ago, Tomucci said:

Feels a bit squishy for melee which is what I'm trying to do though, 30 deflection from mirrored image is cool but I lose 10 of that for being flanked and another 15 if my attackers bloodied so full mirrored image bonus for only +5 deflection with less than 50% hp on a spellblade sounds kinda suicidal

Are there any nice synergies with this build?

I actually have a spellblade build you can find it useful. This is optimal for solo btw you dont have to go this much defensive.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Okkes said:

I actually have a spellblade build you can find it useful. This is optimal for solo btw you dont have to go this much defensive.

Awesome thanks for this, I dont play with community patch so not sure how crucial that is but I'll try incorporate as much of this as I can

• Like 1

For what it's worth:

-50% recovery from "Heating Up" and the +50% recovery from disoriented don't cancel each other out. You will still be faster than normal. Due to the mathematical operations done when calculating attack speed the -50% is a lot more impactful than the +50%.

For more info see:

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/pc/227477-pillars-of-eternity-ii-deadfire/faqs/76599/inversions

So your idea with Chill Fog is still viable, especially because the enemies will suffer the full effect of blindness (including +50% recovery) while you will be faster than normal even when disoriented.  

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

On 8/7/2022 at 2:42 AM, Tomucci said:

Is there any other potential here? Any clever ways to inflict flanked with the wizard kit? Any other synergies that make this worthwhile?

as boeroer said, chill fog is standard wizard recommendation and still very good because of inversions.

a couple others to think about:

• maxed out explosives and sparkcrackers (you'll need to tank or neglect your will defense and resolve). you can easily get 30+ seconds from sparkcrackers from either yourself or an ally. you can do this pre-combat, too.
  • Rokowa's Fingers. grants you sparkcrackers, but unlike the grenade, uses an old version of the effect that checks multiple times with a high explosives. Only a couple times/day, but the extra checks really make it easy to land the effect.

benefit to the above is that it's only distracted, so you get full heating up effect.

if you have another rogue, smoke cloud and the upgrades can apply distracted in a huge aoe, but also interrupts so may be a bit awkward, but at least you won't care about the friendly fire as much since you'll be upgrading your street fighter.

note that if you have riposte and are dual-wielding a blunderbuss and a melee weapon, riposte attacks will trigger the blunderbuss modal if you have it on, so you can get distracted  refreshes in crowded fights.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Boeroer said:

For what it's worth:

-50% recovery from "Heating Up" and the +50% recovery from disoriented don't cancel each other out. You will still be faster than normal. Due to the mathematical operations done when calculating attack speed the -50% is a lot more impactful than the +50%.

For more info see:

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/pc/227477-pillars-of-eternity-ii-deadfire/faqs/76599/inversions

So your idea with Chill Fog is still viable, especially because the enemies will suffer the full effect of blindness (including +50% recovery) while you will be faster than normal even when disoriented.  

Ok this is good news, I was kinda bummed about the idea not working because its really cool thematically so thank you.

10 hours ago, thelee said:

as boeroer said, chill fog is standard wizard recommendation and still very good because of inversions.

a couple others to think about:

• maxed out explosives and sparkcrackers (you'll need to tank or neglect your will defense and resolve). you can easily get 30+ seconds from sparkcrackers from either yourself or an ally. you can do this pre-combat, too.
  • Rokowa's Fingers. grants you sparkcrackers, but unlike the grenade, uses an old version of the effect that checks multiple times with a high explosives. Only a couple times/day, but the extra checks really make it easy to land the effect.

benefit to the above is that it's only distracted, so you get full heating up effect.

if you have another rogue, smoke cloud and the upgrades can apply distracted in a huge aoe, but also interrupts so may be a bit awkward, but at least you won't care about the friendly fire as much since you'll be upgrading your street fighter.

note that if you have riposte and are dual-wielding a blunderbuss and a melee weapon, riposte attacks will trigger the blunderbuss modal if you have it on, so you can get distracted  refreshes in crowded fights.

Sound like good ideas but I have a weird thing against using consumables and per rest abilities, just rubs me the wrong way. The riposte idea sounds good, seems like it'd synergise well with chill fog (not when I'm standing inside it obv) but if the positioning works out that they're affected by it and I'm not with my defensive buffs up it should trigger fairly regularly. I'll definitely give it a go.