Hi guys,

I've been searching but I can't really find a definite answer.

"The barbarian deals a massive blow, increasing the likeliness and damage of Critical Hits and applying Carnage in a larger area."

Self: +20% Damage, +50% Area of Effect with Carnage attacks, 30% of Hits converted to Crits, +50% Crit damage

The way the description for Barbaric Blow is worded seems to imply that the bonuses are applied for a duration but it doesnt have a duration in the description. And one would think that "increasing the likeliness and damage of Critical Hits" would mean after the ability was delivered, you get this benefit.

Thanks!

Right. Barbaric Blow executes a Full Attack - and those mentioned bonuses are for that Full Attack and nothing else. 

Iirc in PoE1 the ability Heart of Fury gave a short-lived 20% damage bonus for following attacks, too. But there's nothing like that for Barbs in Deadfire.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

13 hours ago, Dogma18 said:

They really need to change the way they word some of the skills. It's kinda misleading.

yeah, what also doesn't help is that hit to crit conversion and crit damage is almost pointless on carnage (the only exception i can think of is Energized for interrupts), so it's only for the full attack itself, which is not at all clear from the autogenerated tooltip.

It can deal great damage when used as finisher as Barbaric Smash in combo with Bloody Slaughter - and then it also is for free (I mean costs no Rage).

Best to use with a dual wielding setup with high dmg per hit (love it on Barb/Rogues instead of Finishing Blow and Barb/Wizards with Draining Touch). Because of the first strike doesn't kill there's always the second one.

Also as single class Barb you may pay 0 Rage for Barbaric Smash while getting +1 Rage from Blood Surge from time to time. Which is cool imo. I really like SC Barb...

Recently really come to appreciate "+20 health on kill"-pets (even mix it up with +10 per kill pet for party when Edér is around) in combo with a SC Berserker. Concentrate on hunting squishies with a Driving Roar, upgraded Leap and Babaric Smashes while not going down from your own Frenzy so easily.

Edited by Boeroer

6 hours ago, Boeroer said:

Also as single class Barb you may pay 0 Rage for Barbaric Smash while getting +1 Rage from Blood Surge from time to time. Which is cool imo. I really like SC Barb...

Recently really come to appreciate "+20 health on kill"-pets (even mix it up with +10 per kill pet for party when Edér is around) in combo with a SC Berserker. Concentrate on hunting squishies with a Driving Roar, upgraded Leap and Babaric Smashes while not going down from your own Frenzy so easily.

lol, don't forget with blood thirst for zero recovery while you do that.

honestly driving roar and dazing shout are way too good, once you unlock them barbarian kind of goes out of control without much metagame effort IMO; you don't even need barbaric blow for that.

Edited by thelee

Barbaric retaliation is also so much fun. Blood ward is a game changer.  I just love sc furyshaper. Btw, what about build which focus on instruments of boundless rage.  SC corpse eater (with Balanced polishing mod) could do pretty  decent  dmg stacking fire and universal Power levels.

Instrument of Boundless Rage is just too expensive for what it does. Driving Roar/Dazing Shout deal great damage in big AoEs and either knock down/back+interrupt or cause daze+engagement+3 for only 1 Rage. 

I haven't tried BPM's version of it.