The All Things Political Topic - We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office

Gorth

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-62200507

The committee of state legislators highlighted a lack of leadership and urgency, describing a "lackadaisical approach" by authorities at the scene.

Nearly 400 officers rushed to the site, but police waited over an hour to confront the attacker.

The report was published on Sunday.

Edit Disclaimer: The BBC's take on it, not mine (didn't really follow what happened, got no opinion)

Continued from old politics (and religion) thread:

• Gasp! 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

3 minutes ago, Gorth said:

old politics (and religion)

Oh no

• Haha 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

2 minutes ago, KP wants Blue Velvet said:

Oh no

Oh come on, I'm sure it's at least 10 years since we had a religious disagreement. Was it that Malaysian (or was it Indonesian?) poster, Kristina (sorry, I really don't remember the spelling) who was all about mixing religion and government?

• Haha 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Just now, Gorth said:

Oh come on, I'm sure it's at least 10 years since we had a religious disagreement. Was it that Malaysian poster, Kristina (sorry, I really don't remember the spelling) who was all about mixing religion and government?

I think it started with a Q and she also believed in period sniffing or something.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

1 hour ago, Gorth said:

Oh come on, I'm sure it's at least 10 years since we had a religious disagreement. Was it that Malaysian (or was it Indonesian?) poster, Kristina (sorry, I really don't remember the spelling) who was all about mixing religion and government?

Malay. Well, ostensibly.

If politico-religious disagreements count then Trump's Muslim Ban/ 'Muslim Ban' was more recent (iirc). Bit of a one man band on the pro Trump side, but then so was Qistina.

2 hours ago, Zoraptor said:

Malay. Well, ostensibly.

If politico-religious disagreements count then Trump's Muslim Ban/ 'Muslim Ban' was more recent (iirc). Bit of a one man band on the pro Trump side, but then so was Qistina.

No the Muslim Ban wasnt a religious debate, it was about Trumpism and Qistina I doubt was a real person. She claimed she really liked me because I reminded her of her Scottish friend ....it was weird but she was entertaining  :lol:

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

8 hours ago, alanschu said:

Oh no I can't edit it now either lmao

I count that as a win. 

• Haha 3

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

1 hour ago, majestic said:

Qistina was certainly more 'real' than ComradeMageSonicYellow117. 

I miss Comrade, I wonder where he is? Maybe he is on Codex under another name ?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

20 minutes ago, majestic said:

Pretty sure he got banned for insulting Hurlshot. :p '

Yeah, I remember you mentioned he called Hurlshot a...."Californian pedophile " ?  ( or something similar ) 

John Milton 

11 hours ago, Gorth said:

Ahh the ravings, the threats, the promising of our total destruction... good times!  :lol:

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

1 hour ago, BruceVC said:

I miss Comrade, I wonder where he is? Maybe he is on Codex under another name ?

Bruce what did I tell you once? There are only like 10 people posting here. You might be speaking to him everyday and don't know it! :lol:

• Haha 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

1 hour ago, Guard Dog said:

Bruce what did I tell you once? There are only like 10 people posting here. You might be speaking to him everyday and don't know it! :lol:

You did say that and I thought you were joking 

At least confirm you and Gromnir are not the same person....because that would really blow my mind :lol:

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

32 minutes ago, Chairchucker said:

Is calling someone 'Californian' an insult now?

I wouldnt say its an insult but its a stereotype 

John Milton 

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/special-reports/uvalde-school-shooting/uvalde-texas-school-shooting-house-committee-report-texas-tribune/287-dfdaebf9-d887-432a-8870-b0709f0cf1ea

In total, 376 law enforcement officers — a force larger than the garrison that defended the Alamo — descended upon the school in a chaotic, uncoordinated scene that lasted for more than an hour.

Absolutely savage.

Edited by KP wants Blue Velvet

1 hour ago, BruceVC said:

You did say that and I thought you were joking 

At least confirm you and Gromnir are not the same person....because that would really blow my mind :lol:

Nope, not Gromnir

HA! Good Fun!

• Haha 1

Thomas Sowell

I have a few more religious questions then:

1) Does the soul age after death? Are all the Uvalde children forevermore trapped as children?

2) Assuming the soul is a "snapshot" of your personality at the time of death, what happens if you suffer brain damage before you die? Is your soul personality forevermore trapped in a vegetative / retarded state?

3) Do only humans have souls?

54 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

I have a few more religious questions then:

1) Does the soul age after death? Are all the Uvalde children forevermore trapped as children?

2) Assuming the soul is a "snapshot" of your personality at the time of death, what happens if you suffer brain damage before you die? Is your soul personality forevermore trapped in a vegetative / retarded state?

3) Do only humans have souls?

These are all questions I don't have the answer to. I'm an atheist that largely became so because as a 13 year old I found many of the explanations to be inconsistent and/or bull****.

My assessment is that our understanding of any sort of heaven or hell is firmly rooted in projecting what we consider rewarding and punishment as human beings. For example, the supposed suffering of Hell are things that are very understandable from a human perspective (burning, having our physical bodies tortured, etc). But it's not one based on any sort of scripture.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

Motorcycle accident.

Yeah, unfortunate accident with some bad weather on a motorcycle.

Interestingly 15 years later (2009) I started to learn to ride myself. Face fears type of moment and a way to spend time with my Dad.