Music: Sharing and Listening - The music is not in the notes, but in the silence between

xzar_monty

Was never a fan of Led Zeppelin live as Jimmy Page tended to be much too casual and loose for my taste, but bloody hell this is good.

I'd be willing to bet that the galloping bassline here was a major inspiration for Steve Harris and Iron Maiden in general.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, xzar_monty said:

Was never a fan of Led Zeppelin live as Jimmy Page tended to be much too casual and loose for my taste, but bloody hell this is good.

have mentioned previous how the presence album is a bit o' a departure for led zeppelin and is vast underrated in our estimation. robert plant were not well for presence as he were recovering from a car accident, so the band had to make adjustments and compensate. were not what zeppelin fans had come to expect, but it were technical more sophisticated and arguable represents the best work o' bonham and page. 

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 3

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

7 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

have mentioned previous how the presence album is a bit o' a departure for led zeppelin and is vast underrated in our estimation. robert plant were not well for presence as he were recovering from a car accident, so the band had to make adjustments and compensate. were not what zeppelin fans had come to expect, but it were technical more sophisticated and arguable represents the best work o' bonham and page.

I agree it's underrated. Nobody's Fault But Mine is an excellent song. Like Black Dog, it's one of those where good interplay is essential, as it's stop-start almost all the way. I haven't played Nobody's Fault But Mine but I have played Black Dog, on the drums, on stage, and it's good fun. Also quite hard to get right because of its stop-start nature. Much harder than just listening to it would suggest.

Incidentally, have you seen this? I think it's quite disappointing. Apparently, the first Led Zeppelin album only contains one song that they wrote themselves (Good Times Bad Times). All the rest are at least very heavily influenced by other songs, if not outright plagiarized from original sources.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

yeah, we were aware o' the plagiarism accusations. had a university roommate who raged 'bout such frequent... keep in mid our university were late 80s. am thinking such criticisms is justified. 

the thing is, we were introduced to zeppelin via their blues stuff

and 

for a number o' years we viewed zeppelin in the context o' being perhaps the whitest blues cover band evar (although the stones are serious challengers to the title,) so learning their other stuff were no more original perhaps bothered us a bit less than it shoulda'. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 3

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

4 hours ago, algroth said:

Been a while since I posted here! But anyhow... If anyone's interested, I made a list with my favorite records of the year so far:

am admitted less interested in the list than the welcome news you didn't die o' covid, gang violence, a lightning strike, etc. 

HA! Good Fun!

The music critic has spoken...

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

• 2 weeks later...

A bit of film music... an adaptation from The Fifth Element (depending on the day, it's either that or Galaxy Quest that takes the place as my favourite space comedy)

• Like 2

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

An old Queen Song... nostalgia time ☺️

I was just a skinny lad
Never knew no good from bad
But I knew love before I left my nursery
Left alone with big fat Fanny
She was such a naughty nanny
Hey big woman, you made a bad boy out of me
I've been singing with my band
Across the water, across the land
I've seen every blue eyed floozy on the way
But their beauty and their style
Went kind of smooth after a while
Take me to them naughty ladies every time

• Like 2

On 7/14/2022 at 7:03 AM, Gorth said:

A bit of film music... an adaptation from The Fifth Element (depending on the day, it's either that or Galaxy Quest that takes the place as my favourite space comedy)

I love Dimash' take on that song

Also, Space Truckers is without doubt the best space comedy :p

• Like 2

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

14 hours ago, Gorth said:

An old Queen Song... nostalgia time ☺️

I was just a skinny lad
Never knew no good from bad
But I knew love before I left my nursery
Left alone with big fat Fanny
She was such a naughty nanny
Hey big woman, you made a bad boy out of me
I've been singing with my band
Across the water, across the land
I've seen every blue eyed floozy on the way
But their beauty and their style
Went kind of smooth after a while
Take me to them naughty ladies every time

One of my favs. :)

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I really don't understand Youtubes algorithms... but this one was recommended to me. Not something I would consciously have looked up, but not bad I guess (which worries me) 🤔

• Like 3

Things that played on the radio all day long when Gorth was a teenager. Yes, the synth was strong with that decade (early 80's)...

• Like 2

Video spam... because I listen to too much Youtube while working 😇

• Like 2

Last but not least, this guy was the bane of my cassette recorder/player... always missing either the start or the end of the track when trying to record them off the radio 😖

Still better than Scooter.

• Gasp! 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

9 hours ago, Malcador said:

Still better than Scooter.

Scooter was there to remind people that the 80's were irrevocably dead, beyond any hope of resurrection 😝

Like the proverbial death knell for music...

• Like 1

On 8/6/2022 at 4:44 AM, Gorth said:

Scooter was there to remind people that the 80's were irrevocably dead, beyond any hope of resurrection 😝

Like the proverbial death knell for music...

Infidel! Seize him!

But if you want some more Scooter, here's one with a shuffle dance music video:

Anyway, but I have something better for you. What could possibly be better than Euro Dance Trash from the 90ies? Indeed, 90ies Euro Dance trash combined with German Schlager music. See this once in a lifetime collaboration of Schlager sensation Andrea Berg and your own favorite Swiss DJ, songwriter and coreographer, DJ Bobo!

💀

• Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.