There's nothing new about the build so I'd rather not waste everyone's time, though there're things I didn't quite expect before actually started.

The Steel Garrote was an awful pick for me. More than half of the time I was casting or waiting for spell recovery, the healing from attacks is negligible while loosing an ability point to Garrote is huge, it's so replaceable by cipher spells.

Survivability was better than I thought. I still got destroyed in a couple seconds in the first fight in The Bridge Ablaze several times, but after figuring out what to do with the starting focus and one gunshot I haven't used any consumable or empowerment for combat, which is one of the benchmarks needed for me to consider it at least legit for solo.

I actually didn't need a strong melee weapon. In most cases I never had to switch out of Scordeo's Trophy + Kapana Taga combination, 2 hit for a Disintegration was good enough.

Performance for boss fights are very polarized. Against "normal" bosses the inquisitor is extremely strong, always having an afflication for anyone that's not immune to everything and unlimited access to one of the best single target nuke trivialized every boss I fought so far. However megabosses have some extreme defenses, making the whole damage - focus - debuff circulation failing easily. Many legit martial builds can at least face-tank Auranic, however even trying Borrowed Instinct on phantom or bodyguards it was still too risky and difficult to keep a healthy hp. That said, paladin + cipher might be the best combo to cheese the megabosses. It's just a little bit disappointing.

When facing the DLC enemies I still had to use Rekvu's Fractured Casque for some rogue heavy encounters, partly because I dumped RES again for smoother casting with high DEX. Hands of Light was another option, though having a long recovery and the limitation of Zeal made me give up the idea. I can't say it's totally unexpected but having the same problem as that awful melee mindstalker I played almost made me ragequit. At least the helmet did made those encounters very easy. In the end I also allowed myself to use Ringleader so I could continue to not use consumables.

Edited by yorname
  • Like 2

I agree with your assessment of Steel Garrote. It's a great subclass combined with another class that can dish out afflictions via renewable resources, like FF monk, chanter or cipher. But I almost never use the garrote ability, since it is not so easy to replace zeal. What cipher subclass did you use? My inclination for a melee build would be to use soul blade for the concentration as well as the occasional soul annihilation. Also, I would be inclined to use Whispers of the Endless paths; since your defenses are high, you'll generate focus and heal from offensive parry while casting spells. Personally I never dump RES when going solo; the extra deflection, will and more rapid expiration of hostile effects really comes in handy when soloing IMO.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, dgray62 said:

I agree with your assessment of Steel Garrote. It's a great subclass combined with another class that can dish out afflictions via renewable resources, like FF monk, chanter or cipher. But I almost never use the garrote ability, since it is not so easy to replace zeal. What cipher subclass did you use? My inclination for a melee build would be to use soul blade for the concentration as well as the occasional soul annihilation. Also, I would be inclined to use Whispers of the Endless paths; since your defenses are high, you'll generate focus and heal from offensive parry while casting spells. Personally I never dump RES when going solo; the extra deflection, will and more rapid expiration of hostile effects really comes in handy when soloing IMO.

I chose soul blade for the concentration. With casters I can't stand the slow recovery if I give up DEX, especially when lay on hands and borrowed instinct both have long recovery, unlike some other defensive abilities from fighters, wizards etc. Since I'm not using shields with this one even if I max RES there will still be constant hits in DLC areas, and cipher multi have so much bonus will from passives it can dump RES for more fortitude.

• Like 1

Update: Oracle of Wael was suprisingly easy, only took a handful of attempts to figure out, embarrasingly I'm stuck at Guardian of Ukaizo. This is my first time facing it with all 4 megaboss buffs, and I don't think it's possible to fight without any cheese for an inquisitor? It's will is acceptable but that fortitude is insane, I must get lucky to land club hit - borrowed instinct - fractured volition - morning star hit so that disintegration or body attunement can barely graze it. It has low DEF but I don't think I have enough healing to go full martial without those buffs

It's already surprising you made it that far with your build. The Steel Garrotte with his draining passive ability has the best survivability of all paladins and with high defenses and steady draining he's almost unkillable. Keeping the Guardian affected with Fractured Volition and spamming Soul Annihilation is usually enough with a tanky build. If you want to buff yourself against bosses without minions you need the Belt of Magran's Chosen + a multi hit weapon to force the summoning of a blight which can be used the entire fight as a battery for your buffs.

Edit: I was clearly out of my mind when I used words like impossible, there's one thing really great about Enfeebled affliction: it adds 50% to the total duration of hostile effects, not remaining time, and weirdly the game allows it to apply itself mutiple times to the same effect. For example I hit an enemy with a 40s Disintegration, when there's 10s left if I apply enfeebled to it, the remaining duration is extended to 30s instead of 15s, and it grows exponentially. For the Guardian I only have to be lucky enough to extend both Borrowed Instinct and Disintegration a couple of times in a row to get sufficient time to do other stuff before having to prolong them again, the relatively safe phase 1 is the perfect time to set things up. Without having to desperately waste all of the focus I can now have both statues dominated to keep the guardian busy.

Edited by yorname
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Boeroer said:

What do you use to enfeeble enemies as a Steel Garrote/Soulblade?

1 hour ago, Not So Clever Hound said:

You should play BPM @Boeroer :) 

on my phone now but BPM adds enfeebled to one of the Cipher high level powers - can’t remember exactly which one. 

BPM changed Fractured Volition to Hobbled and Enfeebled (from Weakened). The original was so bad I totally forgot it's changed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1