Hello,

Imy favourite class is fighter mage combo I really love playing magic users that can still beat the crap out of enemies who get too close 😄 and I was wondering which build/class is good for this. I know about melee wizard and druid but for wizards I read they can be really tedious and that I would have to rest after every fight which doesn't sound appealing 😄

1 Is it possible to build wizard with decent damage using only per encounter abilities and autoattacks so I can go without resting for awhile?

Druid could also be good but spiritshift durations seems short....not sure if it is enough.

2 Is there any other class/build that could fit?

Thanks.

Melee Wizard would be a way to go. On the early levels it's true that you need to rest more often because you will have few spells. But later on you will usually rest because of low health before your spells run out. 

You can also use a Fighter or Rogue and the use items that grant you spells per rest. Both have very high Accuracy which helps a lot with landing spells. And the Rogue's Deathblow passive even works with spell damage (Sneak Attack doesn't though).

All in all the Wizard has the best combo of defensive and offensive and weapon summoning spells imo. It just takes a bit more time to evolve. 

Druid is also good. You can build one who still does good melee damage even after Spiritshift ends. 

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

My melee wizard can handle around 4-5 tough fights before needing to rest, just due to the spell slots you're using.

You can handle easy fights just using the per encounter abilities of Delerious Alacrity of Motion, Ironskin, Eldritch Aim, and Merciless Game.

But tough fights need slots, using them for the following:

3rd level - Llengrath's displaced image

4th level - Ironskin

5th level - Llengrath's Safeguard, Citzal's Spirit Lance (if you need AOE damage in melee)

6th level - Citzal's Martial Power 

2 hours ago, Boeroer said:

Melee Wizard would be a way to go. On the early levels it's true that you need to rest more often because you will have few spells. But later on you will usually rest because of low health before your spells run out. 

You can also use a Fighter or Rogue and the use items that grant you spells per rest. Both have very high Accuracy which helps a lot with landing spells. And the Rogue's Deathblow passive even works with spell damage (Sneak Attack doesn't though).

All in all the Wizard has the best combo of defensive and offensive and weapon summoning spells imo. It just takes a bit more time to evolve. 

Druid is also good. You can build one who still does good melee damage even after Spiritshift ends. 

Hmmm....wizard and druid are more interesting than fighter/rogue 

I just can't decide between druid and wizard. 😄

What are some pros and cons for these two classes and melee wizard/druid builds? 

2 hours ago, Oloorin said:

My melee wizard can handle around 4-5 tough fights before needing to rest, just due to the spell slots you're using.

You can handle easy fights just using the per encounter abilities of Delerious Alacrity of Motion, Ironskin, Eldritch Aim, and Merciless Game.

But tough fights need slots, using them for the following:

3rd level - Llengrath's displaced image

4th level - Ironskin

5th level - Llengrath's Safeguard, Citzal's Spirit Lance (if you need AOE damage in melee)

6th level - Citzal's Martial Power 

Thank you for advice!

It seems melee wiz can be really good for this playstyle

The wizard has the advantage that he gets some great summoned weapons even early on (Concelhaut's Parasitic Staff not only drains life from the enemy for you and comes with exceptional quality at lvl 1 - which his a huge advantage at such an early level - but it also has enormous base dmg - a lot more than a normal quarterstaff). And he gets very good self buffs that are nearly all fast casts. 

Druid's Spiritshift, especially in combination with Wildstrike Belt and later Avenging Storm, is one of the best melee single target DPS builds (the base damage of the Spiritshift weapons scales with level - which works as multiplicative dmg bonus - and the lashes he gets from Wildstrike are also multiplicative dmg bonuses). Boar form does awesome wounding damage (great against high DR enemies), Cat form is very fast. But as you already mentioned Spiritshift can be a bit short. Lacks most of the self buffs the wizard had but compared to the wizard he has better starting stats (deflection for example). Also a Druid can be a good healer and supporter as well which makes him more versatile for a party. 

Both are viable. I would decide based on which "theme" or "vibe" I liked better.

What sort of spells can a wizard stack to keep increasing deflection? I noticed recently (after taking like a year break) that quite a few just won't stack, and I'm only getting the +25 deflection from Llengrath's displaced image, but the +20 to all defences from Llengrath's Safeguard doesn't stack with it

Edited by Oloorin

1 hour ago, Oloorin said:

What sort of spells can a wizard stack to keep increasing deflection? I noticed recently (after taking like a year break) that quite a few just won't stack, and I'm only getting the +25 deflection from Llengrath's displaced image, but the +20 to all defences from Llengrath's Safeguard doesn't stack with it

I'm still new to this game but as far as I know it should stack when you get down to 50% endurance.

On 6/12/2022 at 1:48 PM, Boeroer said:

The wizard has the advantage that he gets some great summoned weapons even early on (Concelhaut's Parasitic Staff not only drains life from the enemy for you and comes with exceptional quality at lvl 1 - which his a huge advantage at such an early level - but it also has enormous base dmg - a lot more than a normal quarterstaff). And he gets very good self buffs that are nearly all fast casts. 

Druid's Spiritshift, especially in combination with Wildstrike Belt and later Avenging Storm, is one of the best melee single target DPS builds (the base damage of the Spiritshift weapons scales with level - which works as multiplicative dmg bonus - and the lashes he gets from Wildstrike are also multiplicative dmg bonuses). Boar form does awesome wounding damage (great against high DR enemies), Cat form is very fast. But as you already mentioned Spiritshift can be a bit short. Lacks most of the self buffs the wizard had but compared to the wizard he has better starting stats (deflection for example). Also a Druid can be a good healer and supporter as well which makes him more versatile for a party. 

Both are viable. I would decide based on which "theme" or "vibe" I liked better.

So I decided to go with a wizard. 

Currently looking for some build/stat advice, not sure when was last patch released and what is up to date.

On 6/13/2022 at 12:30 AM, Lorgren said:

I'm still new to this game but as far as I know it should stack when you get down to 50% endurance.

Huh? What does the 50% endurance have to do with it?

Also, regarding build advice - wait for Boerer to weigh in here haha, but I've been taking this and modifying it for less defence.

I mean, the build is meant to tackle POTD difficulty SOLO, so if you're playing at a lower difficulty in a party, you can get away with a lot more. 

It's the same for a lot of the 'up close and personal' wizard builds, they are all POTD solo ready, so all three builds always have talents like 

Bear's Fortitude
Veteran's Recovery
Body Control

But if you're playing lower diff and aren't solo, those talents are less important and you can replace them with things like Apprentice Sneak Attack, Two-Handed Style if you're using the summon weapons or Abydon's Hammer.

Llengrath's Safeguard is a "+x to all defenses" ability. Those do stack with "+x to one (or two) defense" abilities - because internally those are handled as different buffs (I know, that's obscure, but that's like it is).  

So L's Safeguard will stack its Deflection bonus with individual Deflection bonuses of let's say Mirrored Images. Same is true for Vigorous Defense and Borrowed Instincts as well as Circle of Pretection which both also raise all defenses. Those will NOT stack with each other though, so Circle of Protection will not stack with L's Safeguard or Vigorous Defense.  

Edited by Boeroer

12 hours ago, Oloorin said:

Huh? What does the 50% endurance have to do with it?

Also, regarding build advice - wait for Boerer to weigh in here haha, but I've been taking this and modifying it for less defence.

I mean, the build is meant to tackle POTD difficulty SOLO, so if you're playing at a lower difficulty in a party, you can get away with a lot more. 

It's the same for a lot of the 'up close and personal' wizard builds, they are all POTD solo ready, so all three builds always have talents like 

Bear's Fortitude
Veteran's Recovery
Body Control

But if you're playing lower diff and aren't solo, those talents are less important and you can replace them with things like Apprentice Sneak Attack, Two-Handed Style if you're using the summon weapons or Abydon's Hammer.

Yeah I was looking at these melee wiz builds too(frozen Lance V2 for example) but since they are for solo potd I'm not sure how it is different when playing at lower difficulty and full party.

Pretty much any build can handle Normal and Hard difficulty in a party 😄

Again I'd just stress that you can modify them for more damage, as all those defence talents should be unnecessary.

Or if you really want - make a build that maximises the stats most used in dialogue by having good Perception, Intellect, and Resolve.
At least 16 in those three stats should give plenty of dialogue options.