Need some advice on Unbroken/Skald (potd solo with community patch and BPM)

After a couple of days I hit the tougher contents where you realize "maybe this doesn't work after all". I struggled at Splintered Reef for hours but eventually made it, but now facing Nemrok I'm kind of lost: I don't have enough defensive stats for Arcane Dampener and Form of Helpless Beast, and couldn't kill those higher level warlocks or acolytes fast enough with Her Revenge... or Seven Nights... Basically finding somewhere not to be surrounded - summon weapons in the crowd (empowered with the sabre) hoping friendly fire on their side - hit lowest DEF enemies to get phrases - doing anything with those phrases doesn't prevent me from dying. I only heard good things about chanters and with the rebalance of troubadour I thought I might give skald a try, and using rebalanced unbroken for defensive since I've played so many paladins and FFs. I don't know if there's something wrong with the way I play chanters, or should have utilized slightly cheesy items like inivisibility potions or high lvl scrolls, or this build just doesn't work very well?

Edited by yorname
  • Like 1

• yorname changed the title to Need some advice on Unbroken/Skald (potd solo with community patch and BPM)

After a few more attempts I can get most enemies killed, but still can't finish the strongest enemies, partialy because Called to... is my only summon, but more importantly skald doesn't get much in lv20 encounters when certain enemies have around 120 DEF, crits become very rare and their phrase gain can be slower than normal chanters, not to mention troubadours. Her Revenge... is also trivial against high REF and high hp targets even though I'm already using flail modal. On the fighter side rebalanced unbroken is still not as good as paladins when that couple points of AR is huge. I'm pretty sure even FS can be done with better preparations, scrolls etc but not many classes can't with high arcana anyway.

What are your stats and gear? I think if you use that Gift bearers cloak, along with heavy +fort gear, you can overcome those spells for the most part. Also, use potions of reflect spells.  

I haven't played the class combo you have, but I imagine it will require using Scrolls of Malstorm. 

The other option is that you send in your summons to distract, then focus on each caster killing them as quickly as possible. You can use Revu's cloak to absorb fire dmg, but then you lose out on the +fort defense.  What I did in POTD solo runs was always look at the gear I have, and try combinations that fit each encounter the best. I know that sounds really cookie-cutter, but it was a fun intellectual exercise LOL. 

13 minutes ago, mjo2138 said:

What are your stats and gear? I think if you use that Gift bearers cloak, along with heavy +fort gear, you can overcome those spells for the most part. Also, use potions of reflect spells.  

I haven't played the class combo you have, but I imagine it will require using Scrolls of Malstorm. 

The other option is that you send in your summons to distract, then focus on each caster killing them as quickly as possible. You can use Revu's cloak to absorb fire dmg, but then you lose out on the +fort defense.  What I did in POTD solo runs was always look at the gear I have, and try combinations that fit each encounter the best. I know that sounds really cookie-cutter, but it was a fun intellectual exercise LOL. 

min CON and RES, I didn't try reflect potion since it (75% one) failed to do anything against those spells, multiple times in my previous runs. gear-wise I think I got highest fort/will with things I have

fire damage was actually never the problem with high reflex, it's just getting lucky with CC spells then failling to outheal remaining enemies' auto-attack because I couldn't get enough phrases to summon as a skald. Having tried how OP Scrolls of Greater Malstorm are I made myself a rule to not using them, at least out of FS DLC.

3 hours ago, yorname said:

min CON and RES, I didn't try reflect potion since it (75% one) failed to do anything against those spells, multiple times in my previous runs. gear-wise I think I got highest fort/will with things I have

fire damage was actually never the problem with high reflex, it's just getting lucky with CC spells then failing to out heal remaining enemies' auto-attack because I couldn't get enough phrases to summon as a skald. Having tried how OP Scrolls of Greater Maelstrom are I made myself a rule to not using them, at least out of FS DLC.

Yeah that might be a problem, because Fort and Will are defenses means you have low defenses . You should consider getting all the buffs for a no rest run (Hyela's Bounty, the + stat buffs), the healing buff, everything else, too. That should help.  If you can sustain the attacks, use the healing chants, and damage shield,  maybe it can work. Build your gear so you are able to survive the attacks; then, find a way to take the the mobs. 

Penetrating strikes does nice damage, but I think maelstrom might be the way for this fight.