The All Things Political Topic - Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.

Gfted1

Weird that people are still confused about where babies come from. Cant fix stupid. :shrugz:

A long time ago, in a galaxy far away, while I was in the Navy and we were going on shore leave, they would station a giant tri-wall box full to the top with condoms located right next to the gangway. Everybody just grabbed a fistful on the way out. Maybe we should try something like that. CONDOMS FOR EVERYONE!!! :yes: Well, prolly not in redneckville (TX). :lol:

• Like 1

we first saw this bit o' alt-right pith attributed to gaetz and considering his legal issues which allege the congressman's inappropriate involvement with millennial women, we thought the supposed tweet couldn't be legit, but we went to gaetz's twitter and sure enough it is bona-fide florida man. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

25 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

Weird that people are still confused about where babies come from. Cant fix stupid. :shrugz:

A long time ago, in a galaxy far away, while I was in the Navy and we were going on shore leave, they would station a giant tri-wall box full to the top with condoms located right next to the gangway. Everybody just grabbed a fistful on the way out. Maybe we should try something like that. CONDOMS FOR EVERYONE!!! :yes: Well, prolly not in redneckville (TX). :lol:

Gfted1 you making me blush, you never took any right because you dont believe in sex before marriage ;)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

31 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

we first saw this bit o' alt-right pith attributed to gaetz and considering his legal issues which allege the congressman's inappropriate involvement with millennial women, we thought the supposed tweet couldn't be legit, but we went to gaetz's twitter and sure enough it is bona-fide florida man. 

HA! Good Fun!

I guess they're just too old for Gaetz.

• Haha 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

8 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

Gfted1 you making me blush, you never took any right because you dont believe in sex before marriage ;)

I used to be a bad guy. My motto was "two a day, every day, never the same one twice." :biggrin:

But you have to understand, this was a different time in the world. :lol:

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

I used to be a bad guy. My motto was "two a day, every day, never the same one twice." :biggrin:

But you have to understand, this was a different time in the world. :lol:

When you were in the navy which countries did you travel to and how long were you at sea for before you had shore leave? And how long was shore leave, I have always though of the Navy as a good choice for military service. It always sounds such fun, especially the shore leave 🥳

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

58 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

Weird that people are still confused about where babies come from. Cant fix stupid.

It's rare but I think we still have stories of people who don't even realize they're pregnant.

I think part of the issue with regards to Sex ed is people not understanding the overall risks, even if they do know where babies come from. And especially types of birth control from condoms to IUDs and everything in between. Wife from Texas says it was definitely a thing where sex ed was basically abstinence only, and if you have sex as a teenager you'll get some STI. (she was in a small town school)

This is super unfamiliar for me because I remember going over all of this stuff in Grade 8/9 in my very rural school. I do remember that parents were allowed to have their kids opt out of sex ed which also felt weird at the time and moreso now.

TL;DR it's all weird....

Edited by alanschu
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Malcador said:

I guess they're just too old for Gaetz.

is curious as the tweet appears designed to alienate a women voters, which don't sound like a particular effective approach for a politician, even in florida. if we had to guess at a strategy, we would assume this were part o' the curious new, own the libs bit which trump and his ilk popularized. no matter how stoopid a statement is, if the libs is "triggered" is somehow a win for the gop. ultimate payoff is managing an angry response from a "squad" member? am obvious not the target audience, so it makes it difficult to guess what is the payoff.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

8 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

When you were in the navy which countries did you travel to and how long were you at sea for before you had shore leave? And how long was shore leave, I have always though of the Navy as a good choice for military service. It always sounds such fun, especially the shore leave 🥳

While I was in the Navy Ive been to: Hong Kong (when it was still British), Philippines, Thailand, Singapore, Brazil, Chile and the Virgin Islands. We could be at sea for weeks at a time but during shore duty the rotation was 5/2 (five days on liberty / 2 days on ship duty). It was the best decision I ever made in my life up to that point. :yes:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

While I was in the Navy Ive been to: Hong Kong (when it was still British), Philippines, Thailand, Singapore, Brazil, Chile and the Virgin Islands. We could be at sea for weeks at a time but during shore duty the rotation was 5/2 (five days on liberty / 2 days on ship duty). It was the best decision I ever made in my life up to that point. :yes:

What ships were you stationed on?

I enjoyed watching the Carrier documentary by PBS (10 part series detailing a tour by USS Nimitz into the Gulf) and fascinating to learn about how those are basically floating cities.

2 hours ago, BruceVC said:

But whats your view on the whole argument that R vs W can be legitimately overturned because the word abortion doesn't exist in the Constitution. Does that make sense ?

I don't know about legitimately, but certainly there's no insurmountable obstacle to it being overturned legally.

• Thanks 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

5 minutes ago, rjshae said:

I don't know about legitimately, but certainly there's no insurmountable obstacle to it being overturned legally.

Yes I agree, I am sure it will be overturned. Its a Conservative aligned SC and the US is going through Culture Wars so its almost guaranteed 

Its just this particular reason I heard on CNN I find strange 

John Milton 

23 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

Nice, is that where you had such fond memories of Chile? 

John Milton 

3 hours ago, Chairchucker said:

Dunno about technological, but there are a bunch of sociological - if not solutions, ways to mitigate/lower the rates of abortion. Better sex ed so unwanted pregnancies are rarer. Better social safety nets so prospective parents don't feel like they're choosing between an abortion, or having both them and their child live in poverty and/or starving to death. It's late and I should go to bed so I'm not gonna look up the exact stats but I think those were two of the bigger predictors of abortion rates.

Interestingly, nowhere on that list: the legality of abortions.

The same places (in the US) that are banning abortion are the same places that are rank near the bottom in those regards. They also just happen to be the same places we're seeing the anti-CRT and LGBTQ (especially the T) laws being put into place. The reactionary agenda to strip away what meager protections of privacy and bodily autonomy marginalized groups have is in full swing with the ghouls packed into courts and in the state governments. Overturning the right to abortion is only the start and it's only going to get worse.

1 hour ago, alanschu said:

Wife from Texas says it was definitely a thing where sex ed was basically abstinence only, and if you have sex as a teenager you'll get some STI. (she was in a small town school)

Big city school was the same. We also had a playground for student parents with a dozen or so kids. Abstinence only didn't seem to work well.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

8 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

CVN-65 and CVN-72

Exactly! The people of Valparaiso are the kindest Ive ever met (circa 1990).

But Gfted1 dont leave me hanging, surly you know me  by now :teehee: 

Why are they the kindest, what happened that you remember this so emphatically ...their must be a good story their?

Its a women you met right, I dont blame you. South American women are really beautiful 💞

John Milton 

3 hours ago, Gfted1 said:

Unfortunately there's a big belief in some areas of the country that teaching sex ed (including condom distribution) is going to make kids have sex the first time or have more sex (as opposed to making the sex they're already having safer).

2 hours ago, alanschu said:

It's rare but I think we still have stories of people who don't even realize they're pregnant.

I think part of the issue with regards to Sex ed is people not understanding the overall risks, even if they do know where babies come from. And especially types of birth control from condoms to IUDs and everything in between. Wife from Texas says it was definitely a thing where sex ed was basically abstinence only, and if you have sex as a teenager you'll get some STI. (she was in a small town school)

This is super unfamiliar for me because I remember going over all of this stuff in Grade 8/9 in my very rural school. I do remember that parents were allowed to have their kids opt out of sex ed which also felt weird at the time and moreso now.

TL;DR it's all weird....

We not only had to have our parents consent, it was actually done as a field trip (sex ed was explained at a local science center rather than in the class; I guess so no one who hadn't had a parent sign off could come and sneak a peak).

29 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

Why are they the kindest, what happened that you remember this so emphatically ...their must be a good story their?

Its a women you met right, I dont blame you. South American women are really beautiful 💞

Pardon me while I steal this response from KP...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Gasp! 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

@Amentep Please be honest....you also want to know Gfted1 Chile story...you know you do :thumbsup:

John Milton 

Just now, BruceVC said:

@Amentep Please be honest....you also want to know Gfted1 Chile story...you know you do :thumbsup:

no.jpg.99b0badb5cfb177e6ff331002c14dce8.jpgnicetheory.jpg.f4e8648c50f8c92417db121b882356f8.jpgthreadsucks.jpg.804f862a1353b7378a66535e1d344ec5.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

9 minutes ago, Amentep said:

Pardon me while I steal this response from KP...

It's appropriate. Very appropriate.

• Thanks 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

2 hours ago, BruceVC said:

They were simply the friendlies civilians that I ever encountered overseas. Most US ports of call are set up specifically for pleasure and separating us from the almighty Dollar (seriously, the exchange rate at that time was ludicrously in our favor.) Chile was different in that a US naval vessel hadnt been there in YEARS so the locals were excited to see us. They were lining the docks and cheering for every liberty boat that pulled up, when they noticed us struggling with Spanish they would go out of their way to translate for us, the women couldnt wait to approach us at the clubs. Its the one and only country that I took a tour while I was there. We hiked up some mountain (Andes?) and then white water rafted down. Good times. :yes:

@Amentep Do you have the crying meme from BIS?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Amentep said:

We not only had to have our parents consent, it was actually done as a field trip (sex ed was explained at a local science center rather than in the class; I guess so no one who hadn't had a parent sign off could come and sneak a peak).

To my school's credit, you needed permission top opt out so by default the kiddo was enrolled. But then again we have reasonably unified school system across our province which I've heard makes us Communist.

(Our current government is working on helping break down our school system though, so cool cool cool)

I do remember one of our teachers (a new teacher) got in trouble because he gave a factual description of what a blow job was when a student asked during a sex ed course. That said this one was in Grade 6 where most of the sex ed stuff at that point was very anatomical, but still... IMO it's silly panic and some parent getting upset with answering the question of a curious student is silly.

It's because of something like that, though, that I see stuff that is going on in Florida and 100% assume it's going to be as close to worst case situation where a kid asking a teach what it means to be gay is 100% going to get any teacher that answers that in trouble.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gfted1 said:

I'll look, but I don't think I do.

2 hours ago, Gfted1 said:

This one?

H4Yg9SK.jpg

I wonder if anyone posted them at some point. Hmm.

Not sure if it's all of them, but them's all I gots.

• Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

@majesticI think your post was where I got mine from, but I couldn't remember what was in the zip file any more.

I was thinking 1 was missing but I don't remember what one (and my memory may be lying).