The TV and Streaming Thread: Pilot Week

kanisatha

Some of the shows I've seen lately:

New season of Stranger things started out nicely, but lost all suspense and nerve along the way.

The first two episodes of Obi-Wan were very mediocre, as pretty much all Star Wars content after Empire Strikes Back. Waste of potential as usual.

Barry season 3 is great, and a true contender for best show of the year. That motorbike chase scene in the last episode was a highlight.

Strange New Worlds Ep5

I may actually have genuinely liked this one. If you'd told me they would do a 'comedy' episode of nuTrek 6 weeks ago I would have given any odds against liking it, and would have expected to actively hate it. There is no doubt a decent dollop of liking it because everything else they've done in the other series has been massively overwrought grimdark serialised angst, but still. They even took the mickey out of themselves a bit, something I never expected to see from that set of writers/ showrunners.

At this point the question has to be asked: if they were capable of writing a decent standalone episode based series why on earth did they waste so much time writing painfully mediocre- at best- serialised stuff?

• Hmmm 1

Okay, quote for the day for a reboot show : "The Golden Girls.. as re-imagined by the creators behind The Boys...."

• Gasp! 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Enterprise: Strange New World

Another solid episode, if you get past the rather cavalier attitude the Captain and crew display to the dangers of space travel. While not a great fan of post TOS Vulcans-just-suppress-emotions-rather-than-not-have-them, I greatly enjoyed T'Pol's barely concealed contempt for the dumb human antics.

Quibble - they stayed behind to monitor nocturnal apes. So where were they? Why did they feel safe enough to not set a watch given there was clearly wildlife? And why did nobody spot the giant destructive weather system?

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Stranger Things 4.1 - 4.4

I was enjoying it a lot in the beginning, but now

Spoiler

the big bad doesn't look that dangerous anymore. Just play some music and you can probably escape from it. Or did the old man escape only because he blinded himself? The military guys may end up killing more people than Vecna.

Anyway, they can easily increase the danger with those flying creatures on the other side or wherever Vecna lives.

The Hopper part of the show seems like a waste of time so far. I'm curious to see why they are even doing it.

• Like 1

sign.jpg

23 hours ago, InsaneCommander said:

part of the show seems like a waste of time so far

My impression of the show is that they really want to give every character something to do, even if whatever that is is pretty worthless to the story or just plain annoying. I can only assume this is at least partly because of fan pressure and trying to please everyone by giving all the fan favorites X amount of time to do whatever. It doesn't help that the cast keeps growing so the different groups of characters are becoming too large to really effectively showcase everyone outside of the slowest moments (not that I am against when the show slows down!). I would have liked for them to kill off or even just drop a few characters.

Spoiler

Honestly, I would've been pretty O.K. with Hopper just being dead and thus effectively eliminating that entire storyline...but I also would've been pretty okay with Eleven being dead at the end of season 1. I guess it's kind of like Game of Thrones where characters become too big with the fanbase so the writers never want to kill them off even when it starts to lead you down some difficult-to-write paths. Probably also explains why each season ends with Eleven doing the same silly deus ex machina thing over and over - it was effective and people loved it in the first season (you know, when she actually chose to sacrifice herself in an emotional and deadly situation in order to save her friends), so let's just keep replaying our greatest hits. Her coming back in season 2 invalidated that big emotional moment of season 1, which is doubly a shame because that was like the absolute best way to get rid of a deus ex machina character that you don't have anything else to do with. I guess that's pretty much precisely the moment when I realized the show wasn't going to have any new ideas, and I think everything I've seen from the show has more or less confirmed that. Still mostly enjoyable silly character writing, but not much else.

Also, yes, the monster kind of sucks.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Thanks 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

the leftover s02

the plot about how a cult can be repurposed by radical member among them to further their own even worse personal end are certainly entertaining

and the reveal in episode 9 make so many earlier scene make sense

the same somber music are used a little too much

Edited by uuuhhii

10 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

My impression of the show is that they really want to give every character something to do, even if whatever that that is is pretty worthless to the story or just plain annoying. I can only assume this is at least partly because of fan pressure and trying to please everyone by giving all the old fan favorites X amount of time to do whatever. It doesn't help that the cast keeps growing so the different groups of characters are becoming too large to really effectively showcase everyone outside of the slowest moments (not that I am against when the show slows down!). I would have liked for them to kill off or even just drop a few characters.

Hide contents

Honestly, I would've been pretty O.K. with Hopper being dead and thus effectively eliminating that entire storyline...but I also would've been pretty okay with Eleven just being dead at the end of season 1. I guess it's kind of like Game of Thrones where characters become too big of fan favorites so the writers never want to kill them off even when it starts to lead you down some difficult-to-write paths. Probably also explains why each season ends with Eleven doing the same silly deus ex machina thing over and over - it was effective and people loved it in the first season (you know, when she actually chose to sacrifice herself in an emotional and deadly situation in order to save her friends), so let's just keep replaying our greatest hits. Her coming back in season 2 invalidated that big emotional moment of season 1, which is doubly a shame because that was like the absolute best way to get rid of a deus ex machina character that you don't have anything else to do with. I guess that's pretty much precisely the moment when I realized the show wasn't going to have any new ideas, and I think everything I've seen from the show has more or less confirmed that. Still mostly enjoyable silly character writing, but not much else.

Also, yes, the monster kind of sucks.

I finished the first part and even with some episodes being as long as a movie, it still feels like there is too many people in the show.

Spoiler

The fight in Russia was interesting, but still, it takes too much time. Now they need to escape the prison and find a way to return to Hawkins. Is there enough time for them to meet with the other characters and do something relevant before the show is over?

• Like 1

sign.jpg

Is Netflix ramping up for Halloween, or what? :huh:

I didn't much like their teen drama Sabrina show, but a dark Addams family show centered specifically on Wednesday...could be either awful or good.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

The first movie is not available in my country (Australia), so no idea what it was, but the Resident Evil movie has too little Milla Jovovich in it :(

Can't really say I know The Addams family other than I recognize the names, like Wednesday, Gomez, Morticia etc. from various Youtube clips 🤔

Edit: Finally got started on my big boxed set of Gladiator. Lots of gore and nudity. Expecting nothing less from HBO 😇

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

My default stance on any video game based movie or show is "it's probably going to be terrible". So far that stance has proven to have an overwhelmingly high accuracy rate. So with that in mind, the Resident Evil show will probably be terrible. I will admit that I kinda like the Milla Jovovich movies. They were terrible, but they were an enjoyable terrible because of how goofy and ridiculous they got. Plus, Milla is easy on the eyes. It looks like they're going for a more serious tone with this show.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Every single Resident Evil movie to date was terrible. The first one is pretty much the best one of them, but even that one is nothing like the games. It's literally impossible for the new tv show to not suck.

Wednesday show looks interesting from the teaser, but it is Netflix, so they will likely cancel it after 1 season.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

2 hours ago, Lexx said:

Every single Resident Evil movie to date was terrible. The first one is pretty much the best one of them, but even that one is nothing like the games. It's literally impossible for the new tv show to not suck.

Wednesday show looks interesting from the teaser, but it is Netflix, so they will likely cancel it after 1 season.

The ones with Milla Jovovich murdering zombies are all they need to be tbh

• Like 3

They are poor adaptions of the game, but as an excuse for Milla Jovovich to kill zombies in increasing improbable situations with a generally likeable cast of zombie-fodder surrounding her, its a pretty fun series.

• Like 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

22 hours ago, Keyrock said:

My default stance on any video game based movie or show is "it's probably going to be terrible". So far that stance has proven to have an overwhelmingly high accuracy rate. So with that in mind, the Resident Evil show will probably be terrible. I will admit that I kinda like the Milla Jovovich movies. They were terrible, but they were an enjoyable terrible because of how goofy and ridiculous they got. Plus, Milla is easy on the eyes. It looks like they're going for a more serious tone with this show.

Werewolves Within was pretty good.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

To be fair, I appreciated both attempts at Hitman on the screen.

They had some bad points, but a fair few fun nods and winks to the games.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I wish they'd made a Max Payne movie. Would be really good and easy to do, too.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

31 minutes ago, Malcador said:

I wish they'd made a Max Payne movie. Would be really good and easy to do, too.

I'm assuming you're making a joke.  But I'll leave this here, anyhow...

• Like 1