The TV and Streaming Thread: Pilot Week

kanisatha

3 hours ago, Gfted1 said:

Tbh, both. I came up watching the original and the current one is must-watch tv for me (Ill even watch it live vs. waiting for it to record on the DVR so I can skip the commercials). NuHiggins is pretty easy on the eyes too.

Hide contents

Theyre about to ship, teehee.

:lol:

LOL. Yeah been waiting for that for four seasons.

But tbh, I really liked the new love interest for Thomas they brought in at the beginning of this season: Lia (Chantal Thuy). Prettier than Higgy for me. ;)

From. It's dumb at times but it held my interest. I think they're doing another season so I guess I'll see how that goes.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Let me guess, all the same problems Discovery and Picard have, but less serialised? As predictions go I suspect that is close to 'sun rises in morning' tier.

It's on free to air (well, free to internet) here so I may as well see for myself.

It might be better than STD / Picard if the episodes aren't overarching, simply because a stupid plot will be over at once and not be drawn out over the whole season. However, I still don't have any hopes at all.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Yeah, my expectations are not high either. The actors at least were fine (Mount better than fine) in Discovery S2 and they managed to avoid the somewhat 'pod people' feel a lot of its cast had. But that's irrelevant if the rest of the problems with nuTrek aren't addressed.

I did actually read the article Shady linked and there was one quote that stood out:

"In short, it’s designed to appeal to people who, when asked what their favorite live-action Trek show is, unironically say The Orville."

No, not that one, that just makes me smile because I'm exactly the sort of person who'd unironically say that The Orville is the best Trek series out there and feel incredibly smug while doing so.

"Sadly, it’s trapped in the usual mix of faux-melodrama, clanging dialogue and dodgy plotting with the usual lapses in logic. Many writers are blind to their own flaws, which is why it’s so amusing that this is what Kurtzman and co. feel is a radical departure from their own work."

That's the one. They either cannot fix the actual problems or worse, don't think the problems are problems.

• Like 1

I watched all the Short Treks.  They were...okay?  15-17 minutes doesn't give a lot of time for good or bad, I guess.  Probably not a recommendation though when the one that sticks out in my mind the most is the one that revisited scenes from TOS because of the nostalgia factor... 😐 

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

17 hours ago, kanisatha said:

LOL. Yeah been waiting for that for four seasons.

But tbh, I really liked the new love interest for Thomas they brought in at the beginning of this season: Lia (Chantal Thuy). Prettier than Higgy for me. ;)

Yeah shes gorgeous too, have you seen her as a blonde? ;) I was a little surprised they wrote her into the show just to write her out a few episodes later.

7 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

Yeah shes gorgeous too, have you seen her as a blonde? ;) I was a little surprised they wrote her into the show just to write her out a few episodes later.

I think the show has waffled a bit on the "will they/won't they" between new Higgins and new Magnum, so they keep putting these short term relationships in their way.  But Lia is an interesting character; my brother wondered if her and Magnum breaking up was going to set up her having a romance with Katsumoto, but I think right when they started breaking up Lia and Magnum (in a somewhat silly way), they also introduced Katsumoto's ex-wife and had the whole thing that seemed to semi-reconcile them.

Of course it might also just be part of not being a series regular, and only being contractually in a specified number of episodes that make these side romances for Magnum and Higgins so relatively short (unless they start in the back-half of a season and continue through the front half maximizing the number of episodes the actor is contracted for without requiring them to be bumped to series regular).

RE: This week's finale -

Spoiler

My brother noticed that the background on the preview scene where Magnum and Higgins were about to talk used the same type of background as all of the recent dream sequences the show's had; if he's right, then there may be more tease than ship in this weeks finale.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

11 minutes ago, Amentep said:

Reveal hidden contents

My brother noticed that the background on the preview scene where Magnum and Higgins were about to talk used the same type of background as all of the recent dream sequences the show's had; if he's right, then there may be more tease than ship in this weeks finale.

I noticed that too and said the same thing to my wife. :lol:

• Thanks 1

Hahaha, you (and my brother) are sharper eyed than I  - I had to go back and find the preview online and look at it after my brother and I talked. 😄 

38 minutes ago, Amentep said:

I think the show has waffled a bit on the "will they/won't they" between new Higgins and new Magnum, so they keep putting these short term relationships in their way.  But Lia is an interesting character; my brother wondered if her and Magnum breaking up was going to set up her having a romance with Katsumoto, but I think right when they started breaking up Lia and Magnum (in a somewhat silly way), they also introduced Katsumoto's ex-wife and had the whole thing that seemed to semi-reconcile them.

Of course it might also just be part of not being a series regular, and only being contractually in a specified number of episodes that make these side romances for Magnum and Higgins so relatively short (unless they start in the back-half of a season and continue through the front half maximizing the number of episodes the actor is contracted for without requiring them to be bumped to series regular).

Reveal hidden contents

Haha. I also thought Lia and Katsumoto would end up together. Poor Katsumoto needs some lovin' in his life. :)

But yeah, I think they brought in Lia as a way to finally push Thomas and Higgy together. So she was always envisioned as a guest star for a few episodes. And I think Thomas and Higgy will get it on only if this season is it for the show. If the show is given another season, they'll drag things out into next season.

Yeah, Katsumoto been pretty unlucky compared to the rest of the cast.  A

Magnum's not renewed for Season 5.  They haven't gotten to the magic 100 yet, and ratings haven't changed significantly since last season, so I think the odds are in favor of its renewal.

So I imagine we're not going to get a hookup this finale.  Guess we'll find out on Friday.

2 hours ago, rjshae said:

when-there-is-no-way.jpg

Make him black gay woman and just ship it :) .. oh what, they tried it with batwoman and it failed as expected xD

Edited by Chilloutman

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

3 minutes ago, Chilloutman said:

Make him black gay woman and just ship it :) .. oh what, they tried it with batwoman and it failed as expected xD

Batwoman ran two seasons after the change when the lead left due to mounting injuries...is that failure now? :shrugz:

How many seasons should it have ran to be considered a success? 🤔

Oh and the cancellation surely has nothing to do with the impending sale of the network who is cutting their renewals this year and everything to do with the replacement of a 'white gay woman' with a 'black gay woman' 2 years ago... 😕

• Like 1

image.png.25ab917f666bffe2a28a4fc9782cac12.png

seems like going black was actually improvement

image.png.c3502f17bb1b9e5df545747e530f7056.png

Edited by Chilloutman

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

That reminds me of something. Posted this before, but hey, who cares.

(Time coded to the Black Superman joke).

There's another punchline at the end:

DgngBQF.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

I'm really into watching Hell on Wheels these days. One exchange I particularly liked was in season 1 between Bohannaen (one of the the four main characters and a CSA vet) and an Army Cavalry officer. They are discussing the battle of Antietam or Sharpsburg as Bohannen called it. The conversation, including the disagreement over the name and details of the battle, and the fact that they nearly came to blows over it, struck me as very historically authentic. There are a lot of little details like that in the show and I love that stuff when they do it right. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

FWIW, DC Comics has had a black Superman since 1990 (from Grant Morrison's Animal Man, Sunshine Superman of the Love Syndicate of Dreamworld) or if you don't think that one was official enough, Superman of Earth-D (Kal-El of the Justice Alliance of America from Wolman/Ryan/McLeod in Legends of the DC Universe: Crisis on Infinite Earths #1 from 1998).  In general, Black Kryptonians were first shown in Superman #234 (1971) in a story that reads super-awkward in the modern day, as I recall.

I only like Blade and Spawn. They were badass from the start and don't need gender/race swap to be interesting. I doubt I can watch any blade stuff without Wesley tho 😕

1 hour ago, Chilloutman said:

I only like Blade and Spawn. They were badass from the start and don't need gender/race swap to be interesting. I doubt I can watch any blade stuff without Wesley tho 😕

Wesley Snipes could use the money and still looks fit, so I'm bummed he isn't still in the MCU in some fashion.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chilloutman said:

. I doubt I can watch any blade stuff without Wesley tho

I'm guessing you skipped Kirk Jones as Blade in the short lived BLADE: THE SERIES?