Armor Upgrades are Frustrating

I was excited to get stronger armor, but before you upgrade its practically worthless. The upgrades are heinously expensive and farming grubs (and secondary ingredients to a lesser extent) is slow, tedious, and unplentiful. Then, when you upgrade, it feels barely stronger than it was before .13 at the cost of many hours of effort. 

Additionally, the sleek upgrade for the broodmother helm poisons your teammates fighting with you, AS WELL AS YOURSELF. A waste of a lot of effort to upgrade it. And the druability (or repair cost) for the charcoal canteen makes it not worth keeping/using in for our party.

I wanted to get beefier with armor upgrades, not feel like I worked my a** off for nothing of worth. Antlions, Black Ox Beatles, and other bugs still take huge chunks off health bars if you take a hit. I am disappointed.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I completely agree with @Naota26

I saw this update as a clear progression for my character to be able to face the new challenges that will come at the top of the garden. However, the progression is barely noticeable due to damage adjustments to existing creatures. Furthermore, the amount of material needed to maximize a single complete set is undoubtedly exaggerated, as is the wear and tear of the coal canteen.

:(

• Like 2

Absolutely agree! The natural progression in the game has been seriously damaged. A new player would never get past the first challenge (the Hedge Lab).....if he or she even survives the first stages of the game. With armor at level 0 and weapons at tier One? Really? Then increase the damage and armor level of all the critters as well? Seriously.....? I would even think twice before starting a new playthrough.  (On Mild!) And I know where all the skeletons are.....the safe routes.....the work-arounds.....the glitches.....the critter's habits and travel paths. Hope they re-think this.....

Hey agree with all from above. The ingredients to upgrade the armor need to be change at the least to creatures that have more numbers Specifically grub hides. You guys do great work on this game but the armor upgrade perks are not blowing anyone’s socks off. Just being honest. Mediocre Milton on YouTube covers all these concerns in amazing detail and has taken the time to explain the armor upgrade issues. Please take the time to watch. His suggestions will fine tune this.

I think the overall concept is a good one but needs alot of work.  I've never considered armor to be standalone and since adopted my playstyle to include a shield, however I do definitely recognize this as almost defeating the purpose of the armor as being more than resistance gear as opposed to actual direct damage mitigation.  I also kinda think the first tier upgrades for sleek starting at lvl 5 are fairly absurd as many have stated that they simply don't use that armor late game.  So put simply they need to lower the max lvl for 1st tier and 2nd tier sleek, and also make 1st tier armor be able to be retrofitted for tier 3 base stats by some other late game means.

• 7 months later...
19 hours ago, Creepercharge56 said:

Not sure if something changed, but I think Ladybugwins was definitely exaggerating. I beat the hedge lab before I even got a shield!

Yeah their comments are from many months back, before the 1.0 release. Game has definitely been tweaked since then. I love the game as is, and look forward to everything they have planned. The new public test has me real excited for what they're are adding and adjusting. They really do listen to the community.