The New Cinema and Movie Thread

LadyCrimson

The Mitchells vs. the Machines (2021). I don't normally make note of the random kids movies/shows that I watch with my nieces (particularly as I don't usually have too much of a problem with most of it as long as it's not overly cringey or RANDOM LOL kind of stuff, and my nieces thankfully generally like stuff that I either like myself or at least think is okay)...with that said, my nieces are sadists (i.e. normal children that want to re-watch something endlessly), and I have been forced to view this film several times now - my face is going to melt off like the nazi from Raiders of the Lost Ark if I have to watch this even one more time. I didn't like it the first time I saw it, but now my skin crawls even thinking about it: do not recommend.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Gasp! 2

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

I remember reading years ago Brandon Sanderson saying how an author can't influence enough the decisions on an adaptation, unless the author was J. K. Rowling. It seems things have changed for him. In this video he says that the budgets that have been offered to him are enough to film even the Stormlight Archive, with all the unusual flora and fauna of that world.

He also said in another video that he has been meeting with Hollywood people and they don't know how to deal with someone who already has money and can say no to them. I hope whatever is made from his books is adapted adequately. He certainly seems to want that.

sign.jpg

Prey (2022)

Actually good, maybe better than the original.

• Thanks 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I've also just watched Prey. Liked it a lot. At least as good, or as others said, maybe even better than the first movie.

Edited by Lexx
  • Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

12 hours ago, Lexx said:

I've also just watched Prey. Liked it a lot. At least as good, or as others said, maybe even better than the first movie.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/prey_2022

Prey has received  mostly favorable reviews and Im glad. I always thought it was going to be excellent based on the trailer and the unique setting

I also rejected the whole " its bad because its woke " card because we shouldnt assume every movie nowadays with a female character is an example of wokeness

You can only comment on something like a movie objectively  when you have watched it. I plan to watch it later this week 8)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Well, people have **** opinions, especially on the internet, so whatever.

Only thing I noticed is that the CGI was a bit bleh at times. Didn't really bother me, though, as it wasn't necessary to carry the movie.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

On 8/5/2022 at 10:41 PM, Bartimaeus said:

The Mitchells vs. the Machines (2021). I don't normally make note of the random kids movies/shows that I watch with my nieces (particularly as I don't usually have too much of a problem with most of it as long as it's not overly cringey or RANDOM LOL kind of stuff, and my nieces thankfully generally like stuff that I either like myself or at least think is okay)...with that said, my nieces are sadists (i.e. normal children that want to re-watch something endlessly), and I have been forced to view this film several times now - my face is going to melt off like the nazi from Raiders of the Lost Ark if I have to watch this even one more time. I didn't like it the first time I saw it, but now my skin crawls even thinking about it: do not recommend.

My condolences to your nieces on having to watch such a fantastic movie with someone with such appalling taste.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chairchucker said:

My condolences to your nieces on having to watch such a fantastic movie with someone with such appalling taste.

That movie has Danny McBride and Eric Andre, so I'd say he is getting off easy. My daughter's Barbie the Island Princess stage was much more painful. Oh, it has a karaoke option as well? Fabulous. :p

Prey 2022. Overall good, although I have to say that the predator in this one is pretty unskilled. Couldn't hold a candle to the one from AvP.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

6 minutes ago, Sarex said:

Prey 2022. Overall good, although I have to say that the predator in this one is pretty unskilled. Couldn't hold a candle to the one from AvP.

I think the Predators in most of the movies are the dumb 18 year olds of the species going on their first hunt.

• Like 3
  • Hmmm 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

2 hours ago, KP From Another World said:

I think the Predators in most of the movies are the dumb 18 year olds of the species going on their first hunt.

That... Actually makes a ton of sense.

• Like 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

2 hours ago, KP From Another World said:

They flunked out of Predator Hunting Academy but they had rich patents so the Predator Hunting Commission sent them to Earth to get them as far away from the important hunting grounds as possible and get the rich folks off their case.

• Haha 2
  • Hmmm 2

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

1 hour ago, Sarex said:

That... Actually makes a ton of sense.

Yeah, in this way it makes Prey work in that this Predator is the equivalent of Naru. He's on Earth on a rite of passage to prove himself against the apex predators there before he can be considered an adult predator and hunt the real big game like Xenomorphs or Saiyans or whatever. No one wants a dumbass who would shoot themselves watching their back against the real dangerous game.

1 hour ago, Keyrock said:

They flunked out of Predator Hunting Academy but they had rich patents so the Predator Hunting Commission sent them to Earth to get them as far away from the important hunting grounds as possible and get the rich folks off their case.

Maybe. But I think it's more along the lines of the Predators needing a brutal initiation ritual to separate the wheat from the chaff.

It's also supported by the scenes that show the predator hunting himself "up the food chain" starting with a snake, to a wolf, etc. He is pretty much doing the same as the girl.

• Like 4

Prey was fantastic. Last week we watched the original Predator as a family. My kids were excited to see where all the great memes came from, and it still held up pretty well as an action flick. The original does a good job of keeping the Predator a bit mysterious. You don't really get to see him that much until the very end. It was probably more because of special effects limitations at the time, but it set up Prey as a sequel really well. 

Where Prey really shined was in the character development. Even the animals were dripping in personality.

Next movie night we will probably watch Predator 2. It's not going to compete with Prey, but it does fill in some lore gaps, and Danny Glover is just fun to watch.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Hurlsnot said:

My kids were excited to see where all the great memes came from, and it still held up pretty well as an action flick.

• Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

1 hour ago, ShadySands said:

Prey was really good but I was disappointed by the lack of a giant spider in the 3rd act

Fair point since The Predator had predator-dogs. Why not giant predator-spiders, maybe even giant mechanical predator-spider our heros could ride?

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.