The New Cinema and Movie Thread

LadyCrimson

I saw all the black actors, general style, the fact that it's horror...and couldn't help but immediately think "man, this really feels like a Jordan Peele film". I thought that having watched and enjoyed his Get Out and Us, and then oh look, it actually is a Jordan Peele movie. Feeling slightly racist, but at least I was right, :p.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1
  • Gasp! 2

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

18 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

I saw all the black actors, general style, the fact that it's horror...and couldn't help but immediately think "man, this really feels like a Jordan Peele film". I thought that having watched and enjoyed his Get Out and Us, and then oh look, it actually is a Jordan Peele movie. Feeling slightly racist, but at least I was right, :p.

You naughty Bartimaeus !

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Watched Adam Sandler's Hustle. It's a perfectly fine sports movie. It kept me engaged and interested, even though I knew the plot before the movie even started.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

On 6/8/2022 at 1:26 PM, Amentep said:

Weird complaint*, I'm pretty sure that most major cultures had warrior women examples even if, as is typical around the world, they were not the norm in their respective societies.  Bíawacheeitchish of the Crow, Pi'tamaka of the Piikáni Piegan, Buffalo Calf Road Woman of the Northern Cheyenne, Dahteste of the Chocen Apache are some women who engaged in battle, at least, if not hunting in the Americas that I've heard of.

I believe the film Prey characters are Comanche and while I can't think of warrior or hunter woman from that culture, that doesn't mean they didn't exist (i'm no expert) or that it would have been impossible either, just like it wasn't impossible for any other culture where we can name warrior women from.

*Then again, this is the internet.

https://screenrant.com/prey-movie-trailer-breakdown-story-character-reveals/

Here is a good analysis of the Prey trailer, I think its going to be an excellent movie and if it has been destroyed by wokeness then once I have watched it I will be first person to acknowledge it 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent (2022)

A ways back when I posted the teaser for this film, I expected it to be a whole lot of things. Fun, stupid, over the top. Nicolas Cage playing himself, what else could it be. Apparently he turned down the role three or four times before taking it. I don't know if that means he should be given the credit I wanted to give him for being able to make fun of himself or not, but that's besides the point. I expected this to be the most fun I had with a film in a while.

A longer ways back, my expectations of a film were wildly subverted. The difference is, with The Last Jedi, I expected a bad Empire remake, and I got a movie that made me think Attack Of The Clones was a good idea, and nothing ever should make anyone feel like that. Here I expected good things in a certain way, and expectations were once again subverted.

Except in a good way. Out of all the things I expected of this film, it being a legitimately good movie was definitely not among them. Funny that, but somehow, it is. It's well executed, the actors are all delightfully into and great in their roles, particularily Pedro Pascal who is just the best. Hell, there's a digitally de-aged, super creepy Nicolas Cage appearing every now and then who is giving his hammiest performance, and as a bonus, Cage actually says "not the bees" in the film.

The film just works in every way. As a silly comedy, as a Nicolas Cage action film, and as an adult character drama. Yes, this is partially a meta joke, but not entirely. It really is all that, in a nice package that's good looking, and it certainly deserved more than not even making its budget back at the box office. Looks like Nicolas Cage's handler was right in the film. There simply is no place for adult character dramas without mass appeal any more. I guess the action at the end was too little, too late, or the film was too much of everything and delightfully meta at the same time for most.

I don't know. All I know is that I expected this to be the most fun I had with a live action film in a while, and that was true - and it was also a good deal more. If anyone of you liked 7 Psychopaths, give this a try.

• Like 8
  • Gasp! 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

51 minutes ago, Lexx said:

Damn, I really want this to hit streaming services asap. ;(

It's on Amazon Prime, but at a cost. I've also heard good things about it, although it still doesn't exactly sound like my cup of tea.

• Hmmm 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

29 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

I've also heard good things about it, although it still doesn't exactly sound like my cup of tea.

I'm sorry but I can't really alleviate your concerns here. The emotional core of the film, i.e. Nicolas Cage being aimless, his carreer not going where he wants, his problems with his teenage daughter and the part of the film that's just a buddy movie with Pedro Pascal, that might work - but the film basically starts off with assuming the viewer is familiar with Nicolas Cage on some level.

That is actually a fair amount of the films 105 minute runtime. Then there's the rest of it. Spoilers:

Spoiler

Nic accidentially stumbles into a CIA plot about a Spanish cartel that his newfound friend and superfan Javi (Pedro Pascal) is the head of. The cartel kidnapped the daugther of a politician they want to drop out of an election.

After taking a birthday party invitation, Nic is writing a movie script with Javi that is exactly the movie we're seeing. In order to find the kidnappd daugther, Nic's CIA handler suggests that he brings up a kidnapping and some action in the script they're writing, Nic doesn't want any of that, he wants to do real acting work for a change, the handler argues the film needs some more mass appeal.  Javi takes Nic's suggestion as unresolved issues on Nic's part and flies Nic's family to Spain with the intention of mediating Nic's family problems, where they inadvertently end up kindnapped too - for the action ending of the film they didn't really want in there.

There's a discussion about the plan how to storm the place where the kidnapped girls are held. It's a fortress, so naturally Nic comes up with the best plan ever. They'll just walk in the front door, and that's exactly what they do. Nic gives his absolutely worst performance as fellow criminal cartel lord in terrible makeup, and in they are. It's absolutely hilarious.

Some of the jokes - well, many of them - require at least a passing knowledge of Cage films. In this way, the film comes with the same downside that Jean-Claude van Johnson came with. It's absolutely brilliant in its meta jokes and how it treads the ground between being fully serious in a ludicrous way and over the top satire. However, unless one is familiar with the subject matter, it might prove to be a little impenetrable and fall short.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

It's on Amazon Prime, but at a cost. I've also heard good things about it, although it still doesn't exactly sound like my cup of tea.

👍 saw it now after my daily bike tour.

Liked the movie, tbh it was pretty much exactly what I expected it to be. That said, I have a sudden urge to watch Paddington 2 ... am I being manipulated?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

3 minutes ago, Lexx said:

👍 saw it now after my daily bike tour.

Liked the movie, tbh it was pretty much exactly what I expected it to be. That said, I have a sudden urge to watch Paddington 2 ... am I being manipulated?

I have not see Paddington 1/2, which on top of not having see this film either, I really just don't have the right context to understand what you mean, :p. Nicholas Cage doesn't seem to be in either, so I'm struggling to see the connection...

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Haha 1

@majestic It was as good as the trailer promised it to be, I liked it overall. Saying that, it didn't blow me out of the water or anything like that, but I have to say I like the direction Nick Cage is going with his career.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

For a little call back, but it kind of amused and interested me for the breakdown:

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

1 hour ago, Bartimaeus said:

I have not see Paddington 1/2, which on top of not having see this film either, I really just don't have the right context to understand what you mean, :p. Nicholas Cage doesn't seem to be in either, so I'm struggling to see the connection...

Paddington 2 is one of Javi's favorite films.

Spoiler

He watches it with Nic, who immediately falls in love with the film, and it turns out that helps him reconnect with his daugther, because she loves that film too.

• Like 2

Well, instead of watching that, I watched Wizards (1977). It has magical dwarves and fairies, robots and nukes, Nazi wizards and German war propaganda (no, really, read the plot)...what more could you want? This Ralph Bakshi guy sure made some weird stuff in his day.

P.S. Watch the Nicholas Cage film instead.

• Gasp! 1

6 hours ago, Raithe said:

For a little call back, but it kind of amused and interested me for the breakdown:

I didn't watch the video but I much preferred the Chinese 2009 version of Mulan then Disney's version. 

I can see why the Disney version is so terrible, now that I had something to compare it to. I also didn't realise they teach chinese kids at school (in China) the Ballad of Mulan and she's a role model to many chinese kids. My partner was pointing out all this to me since she grew up in China. Although , I do recall she did have an issue with one scene in the 2009 version, but everything else was ok for her.

The Disney version destroys that by giving her super powers (even when she's a kid) and making her physically stronger than men. She's basically a super hero with super powers. When we both watched it a couple of years ago, she was like wtf a couple of times and mumbling, that's wrong. About halfway through, she bailed and left me to watch it and she'd rather go upstairs and do stuff on the computer than keep watching it.

Edited by Hiro Protagonist

Everything Everywhere All At Once.

Legitimately one of the best movies I've ever seen. It's ****ing wild and bounces between genres and tones in a way that should give you whiplash....but somehow it comes together beautifully in a way that just works. I can't really say more because it's spoiler territory and it wouldn't sound real anyways.

On 6/10/2022 at 6:17 PM, majestic said:

The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent (2022)

A ways back when I posted the teaser for this film, I expected it to be a whole lot of things. Fun, stupid, over the top. Nicolas Cage playing himself, what else could it be. Apparently he turned down the role three or four times before taking it. I don't know if that means he should be given the credit I wanted to give him for being able to make fun of himself or not, but that's besides the point. I expected this to be the most fun I had with a film in a while.

A longer ways back, my expectations of a film were wildly subverted. The difference is, with The Last Jedi, I expected a bad Empire remake, and I got a movie that made me think Attack Of The Clones was a good idea, and nothing ever should make anyone feel like that. Here I expected good things in a certain way, and expectations were once again subverted.

Except in a good way. Out of all the things I expected of this film, it being a legitimately good movie was definitely not among them. Funny that, but somehow, it is. It's well executed, the actors are all delightfully into and great in their roles, particularily Pedro Pascal who is just the best. Hell, there's a digitally de-aged, super creepy Nicolas Cage appearing every now and then who is giving his hammiest performance, and as a bonus, Cage actually says "not the bees" in the film.

The film just works in every way. As a silly comedy, as a Nicolas Cage action film, and as an adult character drama. Yes, this is partially a meta joke, but not entirely. It really is all that, in a nice package that's good looking, and it certainly deserved more than not even making its budget back at the box office. Looks like Nicolas Cage's handler was right in the film. There simply is no place for adult character dramas without mass appeal any more. I guess the action at the end was too little, too late, or the film was too much of everything and delightfully meta at the same time for most.

I don't know. All I know is that I expected this to be the most fun I had with a live action film in a while, and that was true - and it was also a good deal more. If anyone of you liked 7 Psychopaths, give this a try.

This is next on my watch list.

6 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

It has magical dwarves and fairies, robots and nukes, Nazi wizards and German war propaganda

• Like 1
  • Gasp! 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

@KP wants Blue Velvet Well now I have to watch it.

EDIT:

Wow! This movie starts off as a mess and all over the place, but then it all starts coming together and when it does it's so powerful and emotional that I can't help but agree with KP, it's one great movie. I won't say anything else, as I agree with KP.

Edited by Sarex
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Sarex said:

@KP wants Blue Velvet Well now I have to watch it.

EDIT:

Wow! This movie starts off as a mess and all over the place, but then it all starts coming together and when it does it's so powerful and emotional that I can't help but agree with KP, it's one great movie. I won't say anything else, as I agree with KP.

Racoonatouille!

• Like 1

Yeah, I don't normally go for wacky silly insane stuff, but Everything Everywhere at Once is an exception.

Spoiler

Kinda got some Millennium Actress vibes from it. Very different, yet some similarities too...stylistically and some of the ideas as well. Regardless, really good...and if you can get all three of us to agree that something is really good great, it must be, right?

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 2
  • Gasp! 1

6 hours ago, majestic said:

Okay, guess I'm going to watch that film too. :o

I don't want to oversell it, so maybe only read this after you've seen it:

Spoiler

No, really, don't read this:

Spoiler

I haven't watched any other 2022 movies (I think?), and I probably won't, but I think even if I had watched a hundred others...probably even a few hundred others, it'd still be movie of the year.

Of course, that may be more a function of me mostly hating everything.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Gasp! 2

27 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Yeah, I don't normally go for wacky silly insane stuff, but Everything Everywhere at Once is an exception.

Reveal hidden contents

Kinda got some Millennium Actress vibes from it. Very different, yet some similarities too...stylistically and some of the ideas as well. Regardless, really good...and if you can get all three of us to agree that something is really good great, it must be, right?

But it didn't have Nazi wizards, so we can say it really isn't everything.

19 minutes ago, majestic said:

Okay, guess I'm going to watch that film too. :o

Well if you like it, then I think we can conclude that it is a great movie that appeals to people with varied tastes.

EjlNIVWU4AAywV0.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Gasp! 1