What You've Done Today - Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life

Hurlshort

5 minutes ago, Hurlsnot said:

I have my first cold since before the pandemic and it suuuuuuuuuucks.

Had that last year, was probably the worst cold I ever had. I even used a nose spray to cope with it, and sticking something up my nose and snorting an aerosol from it is very high on my list of not fun things to do, like driving rusty nails through my scrotum or watching nuTrek. So yeah, get better soon, and for once you don't need to feel bad about man-fluing. :p

Edited by majestic

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

I can't even remember the last time I had an actual cold or flu, at least one that was worse than my normal allergies to make me notice. A benefit of an isolationist/asocial lifestyle. I suppose.  😄

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Other than getting the rona earlier this year, I haven't been really sick in a while. I get some digestion issues and insomnia though. That's better than a cold at least.

Today I went to work. I've been an independent contractor for a minute and I'm making about 50-100% more than I did as an employee. I'm going to make as much money as I can doing this over the summer and then look to getting a 9 to 5 outside of Houston specifically and maybe (hopefully?) Texas generally. It's time to run away from the hurricanes.

• Like 3

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

1 hour ago, LadyCrimson said:

I can't even remember the last time I had an actual cold or flu, at least one that was worse than my normal allergies to make me notice. A benefit of an isolationist/asocial lifestyle. I suppose.  😄

In the same boat so to speak... 2.5-3 years since the last common cold. I love it. One of the perks of working from home I guess, you don't get exposed to all those people in the office and trains.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Its one of my brothers 40th birthdays this week and we have booked an Easter weekend at  a mountain resort  called Sani Pass. SA offers 3 types of main holiday destinations that include beach, game reserve and mountain resorts. Everything was fine until the province where we going was hit by the worst floods in living memory. Now we not sure if the Cpt family should go because of all the damage done to infrastructure like water supply and roads. But I think we will still go, Im flying out at 3pm today if everything is till happening  

https://www.booking.com/hotel/za/sani-pass-resort.en-gb.html?aid=330631;label=msn-vGhbmuGGDLKc8ZoXRP6liw-2971246154%3Atikwd-16754163194%3Aloc-168%3Aneo%3Amte%3Alp164220%3Adec%3Aqssani pass hotel website;sid=a9d006787ba00c2a461db12b3f22e5d5;dest_id=-1237281;dest_type=city;dist=0;group_adults=2;group_children=0;hapos=1;hpos=1;no_rooms=1;req_adults=2;req_children=0;room1=A%2CA;sb_price_type=total;sr_order=popularity;srepoch=1649837307;srpvid=8b1e393d96870114;type=total;ucfs=1&#hotelTmpl

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Continued from previous episode:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Levolt room (700ish sq ft supposedly, if it was perfectly square and empty I guess) air filter unit: $161
Replacement filters, 2pk: $80
How often you'll have to replace the filter, even if you blow the loose dust off once or twice to extend them, depending on fan speed used/other factors: 2-4 months

😡😡🤬  in my old fart brain, such shouldn't be more than $15 for one considering how often needs replacement.

But the one I bought a couple years ago seems to help allergies a lot - dust, particles in the air etc. So I grudgingly ordered another one. Found a somewhat cheaper 2pk of replacement filters ($50), maybe they'll be the same/work just fine. They are both going in my room in Sac. so I can have at least one allergy-free space. If I wanted to fill the whole house with them the annual cost would be stupid.

I should have gone into the air filter replacement business.

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 2
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Sister's monitor wouldn't turn on, so had got her a replacement.  Was going to throw it out today, and on a lark decided to plug it and check....then it turns on.  I let it be for 4 days then tried again with different cables.  Well guess she got a $400 monitor for now reason :lol:

Strange, had though it was an issue with the board, or the button. Maybe it still is.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

2 hours ago, Malcador said:

Sister's monitor wouldn't turn on, so had got her a replacement.  Was going to throw it out today, and on a lark decided to plug it and check....then it turns on.  I let it be for 4 days then tried again with different cables.  Well guess she got a $400 monitor for now reason :lol:

Strange, had though it was an issue with the board, or the button. Maybe it still is.

Have had a couple of funky monitors that would seem like they were dead for a bit, would suddenly resurrect because of something strange like switching the cable, then months later would suddenly "die" again, and rinse and repeat. It's really annoying when it happens. My assumption is something somewhere in it is getting rattled/unrattled because of using and messing around with the monitor, leading to seemingly random life and death.

• Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

There's a chance it is a damaged aluminum electrolytic capacitor, but then the monitor would actually turn on (i.e. the power light would most likely indicate it is running) but the backlight of the panel would stay off and you'd just not see any image. That randomly can and will still work for a while whenever the electric field doesn't collapse immediately or remains stable enough to sustain the drain of the backlight, at least until it dies completely. Not sure if that's the issue here, but it fits the descriptions.

• Like 1

https://www.iol.co.za/news/10-heartbreaking-pictures-that-show-the-true-extent-of-kzns-flood-damage-c91570a5-8dec-4066-b041-36fdd478f28c

These floods in the province I have travelled to has caused the deaths of over 300 people so far, their is no water supply   in parts of the province where their is flooding. Here are some photos of the devastation

From Easter we will in mountains where they havent been hit by the rains so at least I will be able to take a normal bath🛁

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Watched some nature parks of the world documentary with Obama narrating, on Netflix. It was pleasant enough, and Obama's voice was apparently smooth enough sounding or whatever that I fell asleep in my little recliner after an episode and a half, waking up at 5am.

...maybe that recliner will go in my room too. Hubby may never see me again etc. Although, to quote him:

"You are NOT allowed a mini-fridge in there!"

🤪

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

G decided she want's to renew the lease for this house for one more year. The owner is a family friend and the rent is pretty reasonable for the area. I tried to persuade her to do something else but she's comfortable with her situation and doesn't want to rock the boat. So I dropped it. I'm planning on retiring at the end of next year (possibly) so this time next year I'm going to be a little bit more insistent. We'll cross that river when we get there. 

• Hmmm 1
  • Gasp! 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

If I don't become ill within the next couple of days, it'll be a minor miracle. My nieces went from minor cold-like symptoms at the beginning of this week to full-on flu symptoms suddenly as of yesterday and today. I've spent many hours being right next to them while they've been coughing and sneezing on me since they've staying home from school, and now it's Easter break. Prognosis seems...uh, less than great.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Sad 5

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

6 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

G decided she want's to renew the lease for this house for one more year. The owner is a family friend and the rent is pretty reasonable for the area. I tried to persuade her to do something else but she's comfortable with her situation and doesn't want to rock the boat. So I dropped it. I'm planning on retiring at the end of next year (possibly) so this time next year I'm going to be a little bit more insistent. We'll cross that river when we get there. 

GD you too young to retire, what are you going to do if you retire and arent you worried you will get very bored ?

John Milton 

1 hour ago, BruceVC said:

GD you too young to retire, what are you going to do if you retire and arent you worried you will get very bored ?

Won't retirement just give him more time to post here all day? :cat:

• Haha 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

33 minutes ago, Amentep said:

Good point, maybe he could be a  moderator so he is kept extra   busy :-

• Hmmm 1

John Milton 

3 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

If I don't become ill within the next couple of days, it'll be a minor miracle. My nieces went from minor cold-like symptoms at the beginning of this week to full-on flu symptoms suddenly as of yesterday and today. I've spent many hours being right next to them while they've been coughing and sneezing on me since they've staying home from school, and now it's Easter break. Prognosis seems...uh, less than great.

Get well soon in advance! ;(

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Amentep said:

A fate worse than death.

• Haha 2
  • Gasp! 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Wrong thread

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

This mountain resort we staying is amazing, I havent been here for 30 years and lots has changed and its vastly improved

Their are all these activities like archery, trout fishing, putt-putt, golf, horse riding and other fun things to do

The only problem is its .....raining so we cant do much outdoor events. Hopefully the rain stops sometime over Easter 🌧️

• Like 1

John Milton 

Some of us decided we cant sit inside the hotel and waste the Easter weekend so we went for a 2 hour hike despite the bad weather. I took this photos to capture the beauty of this mountain region and the resort from a hill

20220416_103337.jpg

20220416_104254.jpg

20220416_104313.jpg

20220416_104430.jpg

20220416_112521.jpg

20220416_114253.jpg

20220416_1125251.jpg

• Like 4

John Milton