Qatar 2022 - The Thread!

Katphood

Well, damn I missed it.

Canada qualified sadly, hopefully they get smoked.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

The original video is Not Available in Your Country.

Wild stab at it being Italy v N. Macedonia though. Poor old Italy, hasn't been the same in WCs since finishing behind New Zealand in 2010.

(Here, all the other Oceania nations voted to hold our tournament outside the international window, which really made me laugh. Just a shame Aus isn't still there as the reaction from them would have been even funnier)

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Malcador said:

Well, damn I missed it.

Canada qualified sadly, hopefully they get smoked.

Congratulations to Canada for a fine qualification run. They look pretty solid. The USMNT is one game away now; they just need to avoid getting destroyed by Costa Rica on Wednesday.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

The English players are currently discussing boycotting the WC because of Qatar's rather spotty human rights records... Nothing may come of it though, leaving it at discussing it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

USA USA USA.... wait.... which world cup is this? FIFA? Oh... never mind.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

2 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

USA USA USA.... wait.... which world cup is this? FIFA? Oh... never mind.

Yeah, World Cup, not World Series. This one has a lot of foreign teams in it 😝

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

9 hours ago, Zoraptor said:

The original video is Not Available in Your Country.

Wild stab at it being Italy v N. Macedonia though. Poor old Italy, hasn't been the same in WCs since finishing behind New Zealand in 2010.

(Here, all the other Oceania nations voted to hold our tournament outside the international window, which really made me laugh. Just a shame Aus isn't still there as the reaction from them would have been even funnier)

Yeah, poor Italy. I have always been an Azzuri fan but damn...they missed one penalty which sent them straight to playoffs. 

Meanwhile, my country(Iran) has qualified. Yay!

• Like 1

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

1 hour ago, Katphood said:

Yeah, poor Italy. I have always been an Azzuri fan but damn...they missed one penalty which sent them straight to playoffs. 

Meanwhile, my country(Iran) has qualified. Yay!

Congrats on qualifying :)

As for Italy... I can't find the link now, but the BBC pointed out some structural problems that has existed for several years now. Winning the UEFA Championship masked these problems for a while, but then they returned with a vengeance. The article looked at the lack of youth and grassroot work, how no Italian club teams have won anything for more than a decade and how insignificant the number of *young* players is in the system. Basically Italian football is dying of old age with no young stars to step in and step up to the plate :(

• Sad 2

@GorthHey we made it to the Rugby Sevens WC finals several times. Now the actual Rugby WC, that is a different story. In fact I suspect the FIFA Team USA could beat the Rugby Team USA.... in rugby!

But our women's team could beat them both. In EITHER sport! 

Edited by Guard Dog
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Here's hoping Flick can redeem the team after 2018.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

12 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

@GorthHey we made it to the Rugby Sevens WC finals several times. Now the actual Rugby WC, that is a different story. In fact I suspect the FIFA Team USA could beat the Rugby Team USA.... in rugby!

But our women's team could beat them both. In EITHER sport! 

The USA women's team is indeed world famous in football circles for their skills and achievements over a number of years 👍

I'm routinely astounded the US Men's Team keeps qualifying considering how its reputation for mediocrity has reached memetic levels.

Edited by Agiel
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

4 hours ago, Agiel said:

I'm routinely astounded the US Men's Team keeps qualifying considering how its reputation for mediocrity has reached memetic levels.

Why ? It's CONCACAF, need to be pretty poor to not qualify.

Edited by Malcador

59 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Why ? It's CONCACAF, need to be pretty poor to not qualify.

That's probably true of most regions not in Europe or South America. We all know which region's teams will be playing in the final few games. At least for now.

9 minutes ago, rjshae said:

That's probably true of most regions not in Europe or South America. We all know which region's teams will be playing in the final few games. At least for now.

Yep, but in terms of qualifying the US has a fair amount of leeway in terms how far they can let their quality dip before it becomes an issue.  And with the country's size and wealth, that helps as well.   All the irritating homerism has started here, the WC draw is a Big Deal here in Canada complete with moronic promos :lol:

1 minute ago, Malcador said:

Yep, but in terms of qualifying the US has a fair amount of leeway in terms how far they can let their quality dip before it becomes an issue.  And with the country's size and wealth, that helps as well.   All the irritating homerism has started here, the WC draw is a Big Deal here in Canada complete with moronic promos :lol:

Mmm, yes well China didn't qualify, so size and wealth don't always matter. 😉 Anyway, less wealthy nations often do well in sports as it's a road out of poverty for some players.

Well yes, it doesn't always matter, as I wrote - it helps, in terms of getting quality staff and facilities and size helps for talent pool.  Smaller, poorer nations have to wait for a good generation. 

Iran vs US in group, haha. Shame KSA wasn't there too.  Canada probably won't get out of their group, with Belgium and Croatia.

8 hours ago, Malcador said:

Iran vs US in group, haha. Shame KSA wasn't there too.  Canada probably won't get out of their group, with Belgium and Croatia.

Iran vs. US? Hmm. Well we'll see how good Qatar is at event security then. If it was at a more neutral site it would be a fun matchup. As it is, Qatar has rumored links with Islamist extremists.

• 7 months later...