Hi, I just got back to playing this awesome game. I have created a SC Blood Mage with low Might (6 overall), balanced Resolve, and everything else is High.

My spells don't do much damage overall, but I can spam them pretty often. I did some testing with other characters at an early level, and with a high Might stat  they die pretty quick.

A few questions. I'm guessing Might affects Blood Sacrifice, but is there anything else? Second question, is there a way to mitigate the damage loss from low Might?

You can wear items/consumables that raise MIG to at least 10 points and then some that give increased spell damage. For example Blightheart, Harley (pet - it works with spells, too), Griffin's Blade and so on. 

6 is quite low. I wouldn't want to drive MIG to 20 as a Bloodmage, but in Deadfire a malus (-x%) is calculated multiplicatively in most cases (that's why grazes and underpenetration will hurt your dmg output so much) - therefore I wouldn't go beneath 10 MIG (or 8 if you use Breath Blessing points for raised attributes).

• Like 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

1 hour ago, Boeroer said:

You can wear items/consumables that raise MIG to at least 10 points and then some that give increased spell damage. For example Blightheart, Harley (pet - it works with spells, too), Griffin's Blade and so on. 

6 is quite low. I wouldn't want to drive MIG to 20 as a Bloodmage, but in Deadfire a malus (-x%) is calculated multiplicatively in most cases (that's why grazes and underpenetration will hurt your dmg output so much) - therefore I wouldn't go beneath 10 MIG (or 8 if you use Breath Blessing points for raised attributes).

Thanks for the reply. I'm thinking dumping Resolve a bit is a safer bet since Mages have plenty of spells that can mitigate the Deflection loss.

I won’t be more thoughtful than the very knowledgeable people who tackled your question already but i would like to just mention that you don’t have to dump stats on a bloodmage. Neutral everything with a particular focus on Dex, Per, and Int and you will rock. Distribute your points evenly across all stats is also very viable. You can min/max, sure… but having done more playthroughs than I should with all kinds of blood mage stat configurations… it matters little. What matters is how you want to play it. 

• Like 2