Is Avowed just Pillars 3 by another name?

Anyway, I realize there's no data out there on this game past what's in the trailer, but...is this PoE 3 altogether yet name?

What I mean is, this wouldn't be the main establishment to radically change its show in its third portion. GTA 1 and 2 were these small hierarchical driving games before out of nowhere becoming goliath, 3D universes with GTA3. What's more, obviously, Fallout 3 radically changed the introduction of that establishment (for better as well as more regrettable). So I'm contemplating whether Avowed is doing likewise for the PoE establishment, and assuming this is the case, is it just called Avowed for advertising reasons?

Or then again is it own thing incidentally turns out to be set in the PoE universe?

Well, no, it is not isometric team based tactical RPG. GTA1&2 and Fallouts were single character games so jump into third/First-person is more natural fit.

We really don't know much about Avowed outside the announcement trailer so it is difficult to say. Some claim that it is an attempt to salvage IP by moving to a different RPG subgenre after Deadfire flopped, but I don't buy it - Feargus Urquhart (Obsidian CEO) was talking about "Skyrim-like" project in PoE universe long long before Deadfire underperformed, so I find it likely that it was always intended to happen. 

By not using "Pillars of Eterntity" IP Avowed clearly sperates itself from it's isometric cousins. As such the game can tie as much or as little to PoEs games as it wants. I think the message it is sending is rather clear - it is its own thing, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were some bones thrown to the fans of PoE series. While some might claim that Avowed is not using PoE IP to not humper it sales, I am not sure if I buy it. While clearly not that many people care deeply for PoE IP, I don't think it is widely hated either. Companies always pick existing IPs over new ones, so it seems to me like an artistic statement more then anything.

According to Windows Central preview the game seems to be using more elements from PoE series then I expected. Hopefully, we are not too far from a gameplay reveal at this point. 

At any rate at this moment for us, fans of PoE1&2, Avowed is the only new installement in that universe that we can look forward to. 

Edited by Wormerine

5 hours ago, Wormerine said:

At any rate at this moment for us, fans of PoE1&2, Avowed is the only new installement in that universe that we can look forward to. 

This is why I don't want it to be a prequel, I want to know the consequences (at the scale of Known Eora) of the events of Deadfire.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ordo! said:

This is why I don't want it to be a prequel, I want to know the consequences (at the scale of Known Eora) of the events of Deadfire.

Me too.  I'm not a big fan of prequels in general.  the end of deadfire would have interesting potential story wise.  that being said, a prequel makes sense because you aren't stepping on the POE fan base who like isometric, and you aren't making new players have FOMO regarding the set up to the story.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ordo! said:

I think it is likely that  Avowed will be set after the events of PoE2. According to the leaks Avowed will be taking place in Living Lands - it's not inconceivable as it sounds like a good setting for the game, and trailer could very much show Living Lands. Assuming the setting is correct, in the trailer we can see Aedyr's forces, which makes me think that The History of Eora, Volume XII: The Reclamation of the Living Lands book from the Forgotten Sanctum DLC has been teasing Avowed. It reads:

"The forces of the faithful left Aedyr with an exhortation from the Héamecwyn still ringing in their ears.

'Let not the sullen, wild people of that lawless continent continue to suffer beyond the guiding hand of The Queen That Was And Shall Be Again! Deliver them of their savagery that they might join us in civilization and reap soon the rewards of their newfound piety.

'As your Queen demands, so too do I: take up the burden of empire. Free them from themselves.'"

That said if Avowed will be focusing on its own story the time period in which it is set would be irrelevant. If, however, Obsidian gave up completely on continuing Watcher's story in the future the aftermath of the event that took place at the end of Deadfire is a perfect opportunity to bring new audience up to speed, without them having to experience PoE1&2. Assuming of course they want to try wider audience with metaphysical aspects of PoEs, and won't try to craft something more...  digestable. 

Edited by Wormerine
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Wormerine said:

Assuming the setting is correct, in the trailer we can see Aedyr's forces, which makes me think that The History of Eora, Volume XII: The Reclamation of the Living Lands book from the Forgotten Sanctum DLC has been teasing Avowed.

It is my opinion as well, and the fact that the sword in the trailer is "Oathbinder" makes me think that we will play as an agent of Woedica which "leads" the invasion of the Living Lands. (Like in Tyranny).

8 hours ago, Wormerine said:

the aftermath of the event that took place at the end of Deadfire is a perfect opportunity to bring new audience up to speed, without them having to experience PoE1&2

I agree with that, but Obsidian will need to do a much better (digest) introduction to the concept of Eora than in Pillars 1, Deadfire do a much better job in that regard in my opinion.

Also I think that the "monster" at the end of the trailer of Avowed is a Maegfolc. Because of this skull : https://pillarsofeternity.fandom.com/wiki/Maegfolc_Skull.

Maegfolc - or their remains - have been found on most of the known continents of Eora. In the Living Lands, they are rumored to have built cities with great towers that reach beyond the clouds. This helm was recovered by an explorer who claimed to have plucked it from the burial chamber of a maegfolc prince.

Why would the Engwithans place Maegfolcs (a kingdom) in the Living Lands, for what purpose?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Ordo! said:

Why would the Engwithans place Maegfolcs (a kingdom) in the Living Lands, for what purpose?

https://jesawyer.tumblr.com/post/672850479483617280/hey-mr-sawyer-i-was-reading-lore-about-poe-and-i

It is my opinion as well, and the fact that the sword in the trailer is "Oathbinder" makes me think that we will play as an agent of Woedica which "leads" the invasion of the Living Lands. (Like in Tyranny).

The sword, the narration about oaths, Woedica's emblems would support this line of thinking. I was wondering if we could play as Arcane Knight - Aedyr's elite mage/melee hybryd. That could allow for a more defined protagonist while keeping some flexibilty of player's build. That might not be the case as Windows Central preview stated that Avowed

will feature multiple class playstyles

but of course what exactly that means is up to interpretation. 

Edited by Wormerine
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Wormerine said:

Yep (it’s me), I am disappointed that Sawyer did not answer my question but in my eyes it makes more plausible the theory of the implication of maegfolcs in Avowed.
Maybe Woedica is urging Aedyr to go there because of particular Engwithane ruins left there.

45 minutes ago, Wormerine said:

will feature multiple class playstyles

It also reminds me of Tyranny, we are a Tunon agent who was recruited from different backgrounds according to our choice. It could be the same case in Avowed. 

Also our protagonist could be a Watcher, explaining why Woedica chose us.

Edited by Ordo!
  • Like 1