I am thinking about creating a character who is hard to keep down, and who punishes enemies when they are knocked out.

That being said, I want to make sure such a build is viable.

Thus, I have the following questions:

• What happens when a character has multiple revive effects? Do they all activate at once on knockout? Is there a priority list?
    • E.g. Unbreakable (Fighter Ability Level 7 Passive), Survivor's Tusks, Twin Eels, Ring of Reset all on hand.
  • Do revive effects prevent the activation of "on knockout" effects, such as Effort or that one Shock cape?
  • Can the Bone Setter's Torc amulet's Sawbones ability be cast on oneself?

Thoughts?

8 hours ago, hansvedic said:
  • What happens when a character has multiple revive effects? Do they all activate at once on knockout? Is there a priority list?

They will all trigger at once and so all but the first one will be completely wasted.

8 hours ago, hansvedic said:
  • Do revive effects prevent the activation of "on knockout" effects, such as Effort or that one Shock cape?

No, those will trigger just fine. Revive will happen afterwards.

4 hours ago, Kaylon said:

The easiest way to make such build work is to import a second Ring of Reset and refresh its charges after each fight.

That would have been my advice as well.

Just for additional info: you can refresh the charges by stacking two of those rings in the stash. So the second one is just for resetting the charges, you wouldn't use it during combat. 

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

1 hour ago, Boeroer said:

They will all trigger at once and so all but the first one will be completely wasted.

No, those will trigger just fine. Revive will happen afterwards.

That would have been my advice as well.

Just for additional info: you can refresh the charges by stacking two of those rings in the stash. So the second one is just for resetting the charges, you wouldn't use it during combat. 

Darn; well, there goes my idea for a Chanter/Fighter I was going to dub "The Tubthumper". Ah well.

• Haha 1

A character that punishes foes on death is still "viable" and fun!  I ran a Barbarian like that:

Weapon = Effort (Valiant Demise)

Cape = 7 Storms

Armor = Effigy's Husk

Belt = Least stable coil

Helm = Survivor's Tusk

Ability = Vengeful Defeat

You do pretty good damage in an AoE on death, sort of making yourself a bomb.  All of the effects will trigger multiple times a fight if you keep reviving and later in the game you can self res once per rest with The Twin Eels and then switch to Effort for the 2nd death.  Survivor's Tusk can res and clear injuries.

My recommendation would be to start a fight with Twin Eels, jump into a group of foes and do as much damage as you can until you die.  When Twin Eels resses you, switch to Effort and die again.  You now have 2 injuries.  For the next fight, equip Survivor's Tusk and when you die you'll res without injuries and can die/res a few more times.  Once you have 2-3 injuries and Survivor's Tusk is used up you'll want to rest to reset your unjuries, Twin Eels, and Survivor's Tusk.

Also, you may want to use Balance Polishing Mod- the on death effects weren't scaling properly so they were fixed- this really helps their damage in late game. 

By the way: all that item stuff also works on an Essential/Substancial Phantom and Watery Double. Dichotomous Soul summons also work - but without the weapon.

Just outsource the bomb part. ;) 

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

this thread has some info on how it played out.

Dichotomous misses out on Effort and Barbarian's Vengeful Defeat (two of the stronger on death effects) and it might be hard to make sure the twins die before their summon duration ends.  Ditto with phantoms.  But obviously those builds don't have to worry about injuries:)

Edit: Forgot about Shroud of the Phantasm as well for multiple cloning bombs.  You can turn yourself into a cluster bomb 😀

Biggest drawback is that it's not great for boss fights usually, but the fun you have in normal fights is worth it IMO.  You don't have to use it as your MC- could use it for Serafen or Xoti (not Xoti, not sure why I included her) perhaps.

Edited by crdvis16