So, important topic here!

As people quickly discover, you get the option to name some islands. This is worse than having to choose classes I swear!

What naming scheme do you use when naming islands and why?

Currently I'm tempted to use the greek alphabet in order as I discover them. But it seems a bit boring!

Signature: Nerf everything, buff berserker!

In the early days, I chose some sort of fantasy-esque name that obliquely referred to what I found on that island. ("Nexus of Friendship" i think I used for that island where you recruit a xaurip crewmember, as an example)

In the later days, I chose some sort of fantasy-esque progression that corresponded to whatever "theme" my party had. (like if I had a sneaky party, they'd all be named thematically around shadows or darkness or something. A mad-scientist theme would use some sort celestial catalogue-style sequence of letters and numbers.)

In my most recent run, I literally just named them "Point A" "Point B" etc in order of how I found them. So ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Just have gotten lazy. It's hard to keep coming up with new ideas. In my next run I'll probably just resort to "First Island" "Second Island"

Edited by thelee
  • Thanks 1

I usually use a name that has a connection to stuff that happens there and which could have been a name sounds as if the locals could have given it. Like "Mother's Sharp Rock", "Eccea's Final Rest", "Imposter's Abattoir" and so on.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Thanks 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

• 2 months later...

I named them mostly after lore characters - a few island have something that feels already appropriate (Black Isle, Xaur Tuk Tuk), I used Fulvano, Ryona and Eccea a few times plus other characters from gear stories in 1 (like Vierina or Pefrel). I had a St. Ponamu once until the scallawags pack made him a possible canon crewmember. I named one Sanza to see if he has a reaction to that as your financier for the whole thing. Some make sense, some are totally arbitrary.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I follow the British colonial practice of naming lands after real people (be it the one who discovered them, or the royalty that was sitting on the throne at the time). So I ended up with Xotland, The Ederlands, Konstantia, Ishiza, Ruasia, Rekked Lands, Watcher's island, Aloth-of-Sand, Grand Kanaria. Since the wordplay with the names of the other companions does not sound as cool, I add New Yenwood and New Cases Nua for good measure.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

My Rogue chose funny names that would mock or offend people in the game, like "Woedica's Armpit" or "Rangalohi Nui" (galohi means idiot and the Ranga Nui might see the sea charts someday...). There was also "Friend's Feast" for the cannibal island. My Druid, however, chose the most boring names, just whatever would remind me of what I found on the island.

sign.jpg