By the way: it may seem odd but there are some offensive spells that are tagged as "melee". They might be able to apply the Mage Slayer's Spell Disruption to enemies...?
That's not for single class Mage Slayer obviously, just saying.

Edit: checked in game: "melee" spells don't apply Spell Disruption :sadpandaface

Now that I know about the synergy between Effort's Hemorrhaging enchantment and Mage Slayer's Spell Disruption I would totally go for Mage Slayer. :) Just because it's so unusual and I personally like trying out things not many have done before.  

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

1 hour ago, Boeroer said:

Seriously people, this is the renaissance of the Mage Slayer (Utimate run? ;) )! 

I'm agree with you, when I tried Mage Slayer with Effort, I was really happy at the point I noticed that in the topic chapter (effort & avenging storm), not in commentary! Actually, I thought about Mage Slayer since 2018, but never found a perfect place in my party for him, because of stronger malus. Now, it is different.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Boeroer said:

By the way: it may seem odd but there are some offensive spells that are tagged as "melee". They might be able to apply the Mage Slayer's Spell Disruption to enemies...?
That's not for single class Mage Slayer obviously, just saying.

Edit: checked in game: "melee" spells don't apply Spell Disruption :sadpandaface

Yes Spell Disruption is from melee and weapon. That also exclude the AoE of melee weapons, and their abilities.. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

SC Mage Slayer with Effort sounds really interesting. I was wondering, if you empowered Driving Roar while wearing least unstable coil, would you get multiple procs of empowered being if you hit multiple foes? I don't recall reading about any barbarian abilities discussed in connection with LUC.

I would look about that, since Driving Roar should work, maybe Dazing Shout too. Barbaric Roar maybe work, I dont think about Barbaric Shout. 

Then after some test, it appears that dont work with Least Unstable Coil. I suspected that because of the similarity with some other spells that proc the LUC, but not. I took a look again by the way to other Barbarian's PL8-9 abilities, and SC barbarian is not great for Least Unstable Coil. 

Edited by Constentin Lévine
  • Like 1

Gracefully there is Blood Surge to make SC Barbarian really offensive even in longer fight, and carnage applies Hemmorhaging (and so Spell Disruption) but only with BPM that give to Carnage the possibility to crit.

Because of the impossibility to use scroll, Mage Slayer with Effort is more potent to disabling spellcasters when multiclassed with Spellcaster in my opinion, particularely with druid or chanter (Refreshing ressources, Her Revenge can crit a multiple time each enemies, and because of Troubadour's 3s).  But offensively, SC barbarian are really strong.

Edited by Constentin Lévine
  • Like 1

Yes, I can see that a Mage Slayer/Troubador wielding Effort would be extremely powerful. Thanks for the recommendation. For the Howler, I'd probably want to go with Spirit Frenzy, which can also crit I believe and give you additional chances to proc Hemorrhaging.

Spirit Frenzy can crit, yes. And it also lowers fortitude vis stagger which is nice for Dazing Shout/Driving Roar bc. both target fortitude. With a SC Mage Slayer + Effort that would be my pick over Blood Frenzy.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Constentin Lévine said:

I would look about that, since Driving Roar should work, maybe Dazing Shout too. Barbaric Roar maybe work, I dont think about Barbaric Shout. 

Then after some test, it appears that dont work with Least Unstable Coil. I suspected that because of the similarity with some other spells that proc the LUC, but not. I took a look again by the way to other Barbarian's PL8-9 abilities, and SC barbarian is not great for Least Unstable Coil. 

LUC multi proc isn't tied to the number of targets but to the number of attacks.

Driving Roar and Dazing Shout are each 1 AoE single attack. It's not always obvious.

Instruments of Boundless Rage should be 2 Separate attacks.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Elric Galad said:

LUC multi proc isn't tied to the number of targets but to the number of attacks.

Driving Roar and Dazing Shout are each 1 AoE single attack. It's not always obvious.

Yes I know that, I suspected that the knock down effect could be an "on event" triggering stuff, an maybe the damage too. 

Instrument of Boundless Rage give 2 inspirations, yes, but many abilities are working in the same way. 

31 minutes ago, Constentin Lévine said:

Yes I know that, I suspected that the knock down effect could be an "on event" triggering stuff, an maybe the damage too. 

Instrument of Boundless Rage give 2 inspirations, yes, but many abilities are working in the same way. 

Did anyone try Heart of Fury ? It could be 1+1/target

6 hours ago, Elric Galad said:

and

47 minutes ago, Constentin Lévine said:

Strike the Bell, Sap, Flame of devotion and some others could work for the Least Unstable Coil with Mortars, or multi-projectiles weapons, since the ability trigger an effect when scoring hit. Instrument of Boundless Rage dont use the weapon, and Heart of Fury dont proc an effect on hit..

• Like 1

BTW, I have decided.

I'm gonna run with a SC Mage Slayer, even though furrycosplayshaping wardmonster most likely is more powerful. Companions will be their default class. Eddie the Fighter, Alotta the Wizzard, Xoti the priest of zombies, Blue fuzzball as a wild mind (more strategic fun) cipher, Tech9 as druid and ... well, you get the idea.

MS seems like fun challenge that has not been theorycrafted to death. This will be different with lots and lots of new ideas 🙂

• Like 3

That party sounds like a lot of fun. I'm currently trying a mage slayer/troubadour howler as Constentin Lévine suggested. I think I am going to run two chants, most likely Soft Winds (for healing, interrupts and some damage) as well as Thick Grew Their Tongues (to facilitate the interrupts). I'll have two other chanters in my party to sing other chants like Long Night's Drink, etc. Also, I'm going to use the Hylea background to get Hylea's Bounty. It's too bad that you can't drink potions as a MS, and I'll miss access to Luminous Adra Potion, but Hylea's Bounty will help make up the gap in skill points.

• Like 1

PoE's Edér was a Rogue in the first iterations of the game. They had to change it to Fighter because playtesting showed that player characters who weren't sturdy needed a tanky party member as soon as possible. 

So - in a way - Edér being a mix of Rogue and Fighter in Deadfire is the most "canony" version you can do. ;)

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/1/2022 at 9:49 PM, dgray62 said:

That party sounds like a lot of fun. I'm currently trying a mage slayer/troubadour howler as Constentin Lévine suggested. I think I am going to run two chants, most likely Soft Winds (for healing, interrupts and some damage) as well as Thick Grew Their Tongues (to facilitate the interrupts). I'll have two other chanters in my party to sing other chants like Long Night's Drink, etc. Also, I'm going to use the Hylea background to get Hylea's Bounty. It's too bad that you can't drink potions as a MS, and I'll miss access to Luminous Adra Potion, but Hylea's Bounty will help make up the gap in skill points.

How is your Howler after some time in game? 

Very powerful and sturdy. Hylea's Bounty nicely makes up for the lack of skill points (due to no Luminous Adra Potion), and with the healing from a pet, Soft Winds and the DoC breastplate has been sufficient to keep howling. I've been alternating Thick Grew Their Tongues and Soft Winds with brisk recitation on, although I wonder if a different set of chants might be better.