Im struggling to beat the encounter with the young drake at the engwithin digsite, my party is a paladin/wizard, a monk/ravager, xoti as pure priest, and eder as swashbuckler. going in at level 4. The drake tears through my party with its breath attack early on, while i cant get close enough to get it prone due to the high amount of young panthers around. any advice would be helpful

Approach the drake from the ramp to the upper right with one of your characters. Once combat starts, backpedal up and to the left where the tent is. Have Eder block the choke point while everyone else switches to ranged weapons. Take care to fight during the day, as I remember the panthers receive combat bonuses at night. Resting with food helps too, in the tavern you can steal several servings of Mariners' Porridge in a container next to the fire.

• Like 1

You can also sneak past them to avoid the encounter. After you reach the pillar in the dungeon below, they'll disappear. If you want to fight them, you'll want a means of healing yourself. The cinder bombs you can buy or steal in Port Maje will also help, as you can blind the panthers, boars and drake when they swarm you with them. Charming one or more of the beasts (with a cipher or druid) can also make things much easier, as will chanter or ancient druid summons.

What about turning down the difficulty setting for this fight?

Besides that: luring enemies one by one with noisy spells (for example Dazzling Lights) or traps almost always works. 

13 hours ago, Mr.Unsatiable said:

wont that result in me not getting aloth?

No. The animancers + Aloth will have left the cage when you come back and you can recruit him then. But you won't be able to recruit him before going into the arena's belly of course - only after. I mean unless you sneak to the adra pillar, trigger the scripted scene and sneak back to recruit Aloth... and only then really clear the whole digside with him. That's also possible - but a bit weird imo.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

This and Port Maje Gorecci Street are like the 2 most difficult encounters in the whole game - so no shame to struggle, lower the difficulty or even skip it.

I usually try to use Eder with a pistol & shield to sneak near the powder barrels in the corner, ignite the barrel with a pistol shot, wait a little to lure enemies and then Escape (rogue active ability) like hell to the stairway, where the rest of the party is waiting.

The powder barrel explosion should deal significant damage to the drake and hopefully some panters and boars too.

Then its a nasty fight on the stair bottleneck. Don't be shy to use any consumables (healing potions, cinder bombs) you might have found up to this point - you'll never get better use from them.

I tend to do a strange thing.

There is a gunpowder barrel in the Arena.

I sneak down to the tent in the arena (position super important) near the tent, hugging the wall. Then I use sparkcrackers to attract beasts near gunpowder. Eder uncloaks and shoot barrel, barrel explodes. Rest is fighting with tent as chokehold.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Frak_the_2nd said:

I tend to do a strange thing.

There is a gunpowder barrel in the Arena.

I sneak down to the tent in the arena (position super important) near the tent, hugging the wall. Then I use sparkcrackers to attract beasts near gunpowder. Eder uncloaks and shoot barrel, barrel explodes. Rest is fighting with tent as chokehold.

It's not strange, it's the best approach.

• Like 3

On 2/21/2022 at 9:31 AM, Mr.Unsatiable said:

my party is a paladin/wizard, a monk/ravager, xoti as pure priest, and eder as swashbuckler. going in at level 4.

if you're not opposed to hiring an extra mercenary just for this fight, get a druid who has hold beasts and charm beasts. that'll really help things along.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kaylon said:

It's not strange, it's the best approach.

Yeah, it's clever, not strange. :)

It can be optimized by using spells for luring the enemies (instead of using Sparkcrackers). This works just as fine as long as the enemies are already hostile (red circles) and spares you consumables. 

Sparkcrackers is the only thing that can lure neutral NPCs (blue circles, for example shopkeepers or enemies which are not hostile yet) - so I try not to use them as long as there's alternatives.  

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods