I was doing some theorycrafting with this weapon (since its available pretty early), and want to see if I have this right…

You can upgrade it to have a stacking -5% recovery for 30 sec, or a -10% stacking recovery for melee weapons only for 30 sec.

Normally this is only so so because of the slower reload speed of pistols, but what if you combined it with the oddities of Clear Out, which as I understand actually can be made to work if you equip a ranged weapon in your primary hand a melee weapon in your offhand?

It shouldnt be impossible at all to get a -50% recovery time bonus (possibly even more) with one use of Clear Out, and then you end up attacking like a pyscho with your offhand melee weapon. And as a weapon enchant, it should stack with other speed buffs like Frenzy, +dex buffs or even Streetfighter…

Just how low can recovery go if this works as I imagine lol

I'm doing something similar with Scordeo Edge/Trophy in my current playthrough with Xoti modded into a Shattered Pillar monk.  Whispers of the Wind will hit with both Edge and Trophy stacking the attack speed and accuracy buffs as well as Resonent Touch stacks.  And then combined with Heartbeat Drumming, Blade Cascade, etc you have an auto attacking machine gun.  Others had pointed this strategy out so certainly not my discovery.

Note that the latest version of BPM increases the wound cost for both WotW and Resonent Touch but it still feels really strong. 

Just now, crdvis16 said:

I'm doing something similar with Scordeo Edge/Trophy in my current playthrough with Xoti modded into a Shattered Pillar monk.  Whispers of the Wind will hit with both Edge and Trophy stacking the attack speed and accuracy buffs as well as Resonent Touch stacks.  And then combined with Heartbeat Drumming, Blade Cascade, etc you have an auto attacking machine gun.  Others had pointed this strategy out so certainly not my discovery.

Note that the latest version of BPM increases the wound cost for both WotW and Resonent Touch but it still feels really strong. 

Yeah, Whispers of the Wind is nuts lol. Late game Monk in general.

I was thinking more along the lines of how it could work for multiclassing but the strategy you mention sure as hell works too haha

With single-handed Scordeo's Trophy and the modal you will most likely see the best results I think - using the -5% recovery variant which works for everything, not only weapon attacks. I mean it works with spells and whatnot, too. The -10% variant doesn't.

The best way to stack it is using Wall of Draining imo because WoD constantly effects all new stacks, too.
With Driving Flight it would be twice as fast. With Wall of Draining all stacks will get prolonged which makes it very easy to just pile up more and more of it. You can't get to -100% (not with reloading because the is a floor cap due to the reloading animation and not with anything because the -5% stacks aren't just summed up) - but you can get really low recovery in rel. short time, slinging spells very quickly - or when at very low recovery summoning stuff like Caedebald's Blackbow or so. I could also see the -10% variant being fun with Citzal's Spirit Lance. :)  

Maybe with Clear Out one can stack the first few instances faster, but with WoD you can stack a lot more after some time. 

Other abilities that might work well: Whirling Strikes, Heart of Fury, Barbaric Retaliation...? I can see Heart of Fury as "charger" - and then do very fast Driving Roars or so. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Whirling Strikes do work well with it indeed. I used the melee -10% variant and usually stacked 6-7 charges per use. Whirling Strikes do work with Driving Flight, that's why it is arguably optimal.

Please note that the -10% stacks "additively" as stacking +~11% recovery speed.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Elric Galad said:

Whirling Strikes do work well with it indeed. I used the melee -10% variant and usually stacked 6-7 charges per use. Whirling Strikes do work with Driving Flight, that's why it is arguably optimal.

Oh wow, didnt even consider Driving Flight in combination with Whirling Strikes...thats kind of nuts. I might have severely underestimated a SC Ranger lol

5x -10% stacks are not quite as good as one -50%, so not quite as amazing is it mightve first appeared. But that still has to be pretty crazy.

50 minutes ago, Elric Galad said:

yeah this is very important to realize.

i was a bit disappointed, because it's not that the bonus increases (like mob stance), which would give you increasing returns, it's individual instances of -10% recovery time bonus being added together via inversions, which gives you linear returns. so it's not super great, but it's still good

To be fair a stacking behaviour like in mob stance would be easily far too strong. You'll receive the recovery speed increasement of 3-4 points in dexterity with one shot, and as pointed out there are easy ways to accumulate shots.

What's the best scordeos trophy-ability against single enemies though? Clear Out has the advantage to hit the initial target twice iirc

Edited by Bosmer

1 hour ago, Bosmer said:

To be fair a stacking behaviour like in mob stance would be easily far too strong. You'll receive the recovery speed increasement of 3-4 points in dexterity with one shot, and as pointed out there are easy ways to accumulate shots.

What's the best scordeos trophy-ability against single enemies though? Clear Out has the advantage to hit the initial target twice iirc

Twinned Shot probably. Hitting vs Deflection is usually easier.

But cost-effectively, I would say that speed increase are probably the way to go.

But the real answer is probably Wall of Draing.

5 hours ago, Bosmer said:

I dont recall there being a multi-hit ability on single enemies...Whispers of the Wind doesnt work on just one, right?

I think your best bet might actually just be to slap on the Rushed Reload modal with Dual Wielding. If you can still reliably hit with the ACC penalty you should pile up shots pretty fast (particularly with other speed buffs like Frenzy or Swift Strikes), and by putting a melee weapon in your offhand youll only be shooting with Scordeo's Trophy. I forget if Blood Thirst from a Barbarian applies to reloading, might be kind of an interesting strategy to fire off shots every time you get a kill, speeding you up even more.

Actually, can you use Riposte from Rogue to trigger shots from guns with the primary weapon trick? Could be kind of fun to speed up more and more as enemies miss your character. Combine with Toutilo's Palm for even more of a chance for a retaliatory full attack on a miss.

1 hour ago, Porkchopsandwiches247 said:

Actually, can you use Riposte from Rogue to trigger shots from guns with the primary weapon trick? Could be kind of fun to speed up more and more as enemies miss your character. Combine with Toutilo's Palm for even more of a chance for a retaliatory full attack on a miss.

Yes Riposte is a full attack (without full attack penalty btw) and will lead to shots if you dual wield with a melee weapon. So yes, if you have a bunch of low-accuracy mobs and high deflection this is definitely a viable strategy. 

You can wear Gipon Prudensco or Nomad's Brigandine and become immune to disengagement attacks. Whenever you break engagement all disengagment attacks will miss, giving you the chance for a Riposte. It's a lot of moving in and out though and too tedious for my taste. 

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods