Not sure why I have such a fascination with this ability, but had a few questions on it. Ill start with the things I know:

-Blood Frenzy applies to ability crits too, not just melee or physical attacks

-The DoT does not stack, it only can get refreshed

However, I started wondering, does this also apply to any status effect on crit, not just damaging abilities? And what about if an ability has secondary effects? For example, if you cast say Shining Beacon on an enemy, it (as I understand it) rolls twice, once for the damage and once for the debuff separately. Does Blood Frenzy essentially also get two chances to crit and apply its DoT?

I think my brain likes the idea of turning debuff abilities into damaging ones through unconventional strategy, even if the damage isnt enormous.

Edited by Porkchopsandwiches247

I didn't check Shining Beacon's rolls - but I strongly suspect every hit roll applies Blood Frenzy on crit. I haven't tried Storm of Holy Fire but I also guess this should be great because of the multiple AoE "impacts". 

The best candidates are pulsing spells and offensive phrases though. Slicken, Binding Web, Tanglefoot, Chillfog, Wicked Briars and all that stuff that pulses every 3 secs. Rays will even pulse every second instead of 3 secs. Unfortunately Walls and also the drop traps from Footsteps of the Beast are hazards and won't apply Blood Frenzy. 

The seal of the Weyc's Wand however should apply Blood Frenzy since it's a weapon ability - and it pulses every second...  

Edited by Boeroer
  • Thanks 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Just now, Boeroer said:

I didn't check Shining Beacon's rolls - but I strongly suspect every hit roll applies Blood Frenzy on crit. I haven't tried Storm of Holy Fire but I also guess this should be great because of the multiple AoE "impacts". 

The best candidates are pulsing spells and offensive phrases though. Slicken, Chillfog, Wicked Briars and all that stuff that pulses every 3 secs. Rays will even pulse every second instead of 3 secs. Unfortunately Walls and also the drop traps from Footsteps of the Beast are hazards and won't apply Blood Frenzy. 

The seal of the Weyc's Wand however should apply Blood Frenzy since it's a weapon ability - and it pulses every second...  

Thanks for the info as always.

4dmg/3sec for 6 sec isnt gamechanging by any stretch, but does add kind of a fun synergy for a class based on those types of abilities. Now you should be able to get somewhat reliable damage out of even a pure debuff spell like Spreading Plague, which has multiple hits as well as two different status effects being checked. Maybe even debuff chants like A Long Nights Drink can now sort of turn into a damage aura. In theory this should mean even weird spells like Touch of Rot which has an instant damage component + a DoT component should be getting 'double' hits...unless that is based off of the same roll?

Another random question in case anyone knows: do retaliation attacks from say Flame Shield proc this if they crit? If so, is it based on who was the caster, or who has the Flame Shield?

I'd test myself but unfortunately at the moment don't have a high enough level character after clearing out some of my saved games lol

On 2/14/2022 at 5:03 PM, Porkchopsandwiches247 said:

spells like Touch of Rot which has an instant damage component + a DoT component should be getting 'double' hits...unless that is based off of the same roll?

Actually, there is just one roll, and the mention "avec effet supplémentaire" in french — with suplementary effect I guess.  But Druid get some spells with many hit-rolls, like Wicked Briars, Nature's terror etc (2 hit rolls) and even more (3 hit rolls) with Venombloom. That mean 2 or 3 chances to crit and then, to apply Blood Frenzy. 

35 minutes ago, Porkchopsandwiches247 said:

Another random question in case anyone knows: do retaliation attacks from say Flame Shield proc this if they crit? If so, is it based on who was the caster, or who has the Flame Shield?

With regular Flame Shield (wizard and priest of Magran), the MC Barbarian apply Blood Frenzy on reliatation when this last crit. In the case of Darcozzy Paladin- Barbarian, the Flame Shield will apply Blood Frenzy when crit whatever the character under the shield effect. This one depend of the Paladin-Barbarian. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Constentin Lévine said:

Actually, there is just one roll, and the mention "avec effet supplémentaire" in french — with suplementary effect I guess.  But Druid get some spells with many hit-rolls, like Wicked Briars, Nature's terror etc (2 hit rolls) and even more (3 hit rolls) with Venombloom. That mean 2 or 3 chances to crit and then, to apply Blood Frenzy. 

With regular Flame Shield (wizard and priest of Magran), the MC Barbarian apply Blood Frenzy on reliatation when this last crit. In the case of Darcozzy Paladin- Barbarian, the Flame Shield will apply Blood Frenzy when crit whatever the character under the shield effect. This one depend of the Paladin-Barbarian. 

Appreciate the information!

I think I might actually be rolling a Priest of Magran/Furyshaper Shaman now...sounds like it could be a lot of fun!

• Like 1

I guess with a Fire Godlike (Battle Forged retaliation) Darcozzi or Wizard or Priest of Magran + Magran's Blessing shield you'll get three chances to apply Blood Frenzy - because those three flame shields will stack.

Fire Godlike SC Barb with Barbaric Retaliation + Sun & Moon + Magran's Blessing should get 3 (full attack, dual flail heads + bash) + 2 (Battle Forged + Fire Shield) = 5 chances to apply Blood Frenzy when receiving a crit. ;) 

A Wizard with Zandethu's Fury could stack its terrify retaliation + Fire Shield (shield) + Flame Shield + Battle Forged + M's Piercing Sigil (or Cloak of Death - those two don't stack properly)... also 5 chances, but already when getting grazed (I think). :)  

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

10 minutes ago, Boeroer said:

I guess with a Fire Godlike (Battle Forged retaliation) Darcozzi or Wizard or Priest of Magran + Magran's Blessing shield you'll get three chances to apply Blood Frenzy - because those three flame shields will stack.

Fire Godlike SC Barb with Barbaric Retaliation + Sun & Moon + Magran's Blessing should get 3 (full attack, dual flail heads + bash) + 2 (Battle Forged + Fire Shield) = 5 chances to apply Blood Frenzy when receiving a crit. ;) 

A Wizard with Zandethu's Fury could stack its terrify retaliation + Fire Shield (shield) + Flame Shield + Battle Forged + M's Piercing Sigil (or Cloak of Death - those two don't stack properly)... also 5 chances, but already when getting grazed (I think). :)  

Thats true, I hadnt consider Fire Godlike because I like going Island Aumaua since they get the most story based responses (even if their gameplay passive is the worst of all lol), but Fire Godlike gets quite a few themselves, so that wouldn't be bad at all.

If I remember correctly, Fire Godlike's retaliation passive doesnt scale (or does very very poorly compared to PoE1), so is normally pretty useless outside of the +1 to armor. But with Blood Frenzy, it actually has the potential to do some decent extra damage. I doubt it would count towards Interrupting Blows passive, but thatd be interesting too if so. And with Brute Force, itll target the lowest of Deflection and Fortitude, so should have good accuracy to get those crits.