Feedbackafter 8 hrs

we played it with 2 people in multiplayer and lost the fun after about 8 hours.
You quickly analyzed everything you found.
To get further we need better equipment because a ladybug, treebug or bombadierbug cannot be defeaded with level 1 equipment.
An attack from us does maybe 2% damage while we die after the first hit.
Also you have to harvest better materials for better buildings.
The answer of the Game is........you get better gear for killing those bugs that you cant defeat with your gear.....WTF?
It may be possible with 4 people, but for two I say...no chance.
Maybe the multiplayer isn't balanced yet. The enemies are just too awesome. The health of the bugs should be connected to the number of players.
Also annoying... if you're the host and have to go away from keyboard for some reason... you can't just pause your own character.
If the colleague or colleagues want to continue playing, you have to let the game run and accept your death by dying of thirst, which comes with stupidly damages on your armor.
I know that there was a dedicated server in planning in the far future but this should come soon.
The game looks good and I would like to like it...but my level of frustration is not high enough for the current state.

Speaking from experience of playing as a two player multiplayer, I do not think the enemies were that big of an issue. It was unexpectedly difficult but once I realised that, it was just about having to perfect parry everything.

I personally enjoyed this as it balances out that most enemies can be cheesed with a bow and arrow and I am a big dark souls fan, however I can see how players looking for a casual experience would say the current normal difficulty is more expected on hard then normal.

Agreed with afk thirst death breaking armor being very annoying 

Hmmm. The host AFK issue in a survival game with hunger/thirst is an issue.  I was just in a furniture thread where a sleeping bag was suggested as a new item. Perhaps there would be a way to code that item to freeze or really slow down stat decay of the user rather than just being a mobile bed.

3 hours ago, Alynxkia said:

Hmmm. The host AFK issue in a survival game with hunger/thirst is an issue.  I was just in a furniture thread where a sleeping bag was suggested as a new item. Perhaps there would be a way to code that item to freeze or really slow down stat decay of the user rather than just being a mobile bed.

Don’t think that will work, maybe though if they added a spectate mode that hosts can enter if they are going AFK, or just make it so that you can share the host for saved world or worlds with your friends (that will not need a dedicated server since it won’t be always on). I keep on hearing about the server issues, hopefully the developers will address it soon with some updates to sharing worlds.

Edited by Nicholas Berstecher

21 hours ago, DeadAngel333 said:

Speaking from experience of playing as a two player multiplayer, I do not think the enemies were that big of an issue. It was unexpectedly difficult but once I realised that, it was just about having to perfect parry everything.

I personally enjoyed this as it balances out that most enemies can be cheesed with a bow and arrow and I am a big dark souls fan, however I can see how players looking for a casual experience would say the current normal difficulty is more expected on hard then normal.

Agreed with afk thirst death breaking armor being very annoying 

On the beginning the Bow is no solution. You need to upgrade it on the forge first.
For that one you need 2500 sience points and a huge amount of quarzid to pimp your Bow.
On the beginning...is that a lot. Otherwise you need more arrows than you can carry to bring a bigger bug down.
It shoulnd be to easy but not like that.
The difficulty should incrased more slowly. Big, hard to kill, Bugs are ok but not if the reward is just something casual like a better axe.
Also the Ladybugs are rare and the Treebugs are always in a group what makes the hunt more dangerous and time consuming.
So the reward have to be something special.
For simple tools there must be an easyer way to craft and repair them.

On 07.02.2022 at 14:50, Jetset said:

If you don't like the difficulty, you can turn on the easy game mode or God mode in the difficulty settings at the start of the game. But I assure you, it's much more interesting to look for ways to pass, and they are. Do not try to destroy the bug right away, you can use various tactics. In addition, you can find a full set of bee armor in the anthill, and get materials for crafting Koi armor from the pond. There is a lot of quartzite in all anthills, you can go there in a set of ant armor without fear of being attacked. Knowledge is also given for completing tasks on crafting things, and is also scattered everywhere. You are only at the very beginning of the game, explore the meadow and pond to begin with.

On 2/7/2022 at 6:50 AM, Jetset said:
we played it with 2 people in multiplayer and lost the fun after about 8 hours.
You quickly analyzed everything you found.
To get further we need better equipment because a ladybug, treebug or bombadierbug cannot be defeaded with level 1 equipment.
An attack from us does maybe 2% damage while we die after the first hit.
Also you have to harvest better materials for better buildings.
The answer of the Game is........you get better gear for killing those bugs that you cant defeat with your gear.....WTF?
It may be possible with 4 people, but for two I say...no chance.
Maybe the multiplayer isn't balanced yet. The enemies are just too awesome. The health of the bugs should be connected to the number of players.
Also annoying... if you're the host and have to go away from keyboard for some reason... you can't just pause your own character.
If the colleague or colleagues want to continue playing, you have to let the game run and accept your death by dying of thirst, which comes with stupidly damages on your armor.
I know that there was a dedicated server in planning in the far future but this should come soon.
The game looks good and I would like to like it...but my level of frustration is not high enough for the current state.

It’s definitely possible with 2. Learning the parry timing is critical, but having extra friends help. I’ve killed ladybugs with level 1 equipment. 1 person shooting arrows and the other up close. The bombadiers were much harder with level 1 but also doable. The ladybug gear is worth the trouble for sure. 

To be fair to Jetset, I wonder if the longer fights and more frequent repairs can be fun for a new player who does't have the map memorized and who doesn't know which resources to gather/research and which upgrades to buy first, etc. For experienced players the recent changes are a bit more tedious and/or slightly more challenging...but I haven't heard anyone say it was more fun. The combo/durability changes could definitely skew the sense of progression unfavorably on a first play through.  I do agree with the the other responders; the hurdle expressed regarding the ladybug/bombardier is surmountable especially with multiple people. I can't help but suspect they were trying to fight up close and personal when their current gear, mutations, and skills are suited for sniping/traps.

Edit: I restarted the other day and my best recommendations are getting tier two tools/weapon/armor supplies are:

Tier 2 Ax & Hammer Supplies, Lady Bug Armor: Go to the hedge area and break the spider sacks. Most of them have insect parts including bombardier parts, ladybug heads, gnat fuzz, acid sacks, stinkbug parts and I'm pretty sure I got a boiling gland. I did not get any ladybug parts though. (Not sure if that was just my luck or they are not one of the potential items.) You can avoid the large orb weavers in the area pretty easily. You will have to fight the spiderlings. Go into the lab area at your own risk as there are orb weaver juniors. Some people find them easy and others not so much at the start. Either way you can get the materials for the tier two hammer and ax this way without having to fight the actual enemies that drop them. While in this area shoot down blue berries to make leather. 

Tier 2 Bow: I built stem windows in the openings of the oak tree while the two resident wolf spiders slept inside/underneath.  (You can build other obstructions rather than stem windows but I like how the stem windows look and I can see/shoot through the windows. I can also jump over them in the larger opening to get inside when I want to. You can use grass and thus avoid the need for tier 2 ax for this.) I used some pillars and stem windows between the roots where the third one tends to sleep.  Then I crafted a lot of arrows and sniped the wolf spiders I had trapped letting me obtain the spider fangs I needed for the their two bow.

Lady Bug Armor: I found ladybugs in areas where there were things to jump out of reach on. Shoot, shoot , jump up, shoot, shoot, jump down, shoot etc. It's not a fun method but it's doable. (A tier one bow makes this method a true test of patience so I recommend getting the tier 2 bow first.)  You can build stem windows around a sleeping ladybug but you'll want to have another structure (natural or made) to shoot from. If you are too close to the ladybug it'll charge the walls/windows and destroy the trap.

Unlike the spider 'traps' the ladybug ones are only good for one use as the ladybugs will never spawn in them again. (That I know of at least. Their sleep spawn points don't seem to match.) The spiders have a  good chance of respawning inside the traps. They don't always. Do not think you are safe around the oak tree from wolf spiders until you have confirmed where they are or have already kill them that day. 

Nothing I suggested is relying on glitches so while it may be seen as cheesing by some it's acceptable in my eyes when direct confrontation is not working for you. Play however you find fun. I hope these suggestions are of use.

Edited by Alynxkia

On 2/8/2022 at 5:01 PM, Jetset said:

On the beginning the Bow is no solution. You need to upgrade it on the forge first.
For that one you need 2500 sience points and a huge amount of quarzid to pimp your Bow.
On the beginning...is that a lot. Otherwise you need more arrows than you can carry to bring a bigger bug down.
It shoulnd be to easy but not like that.
The difficulty should incrased more slowly. Big, hard to kill, Bugs are ok but not if the reward is just something casual like a better axe.
Also the Ladybugs are rare and the Treebugs are always in a group what makes the hunt more dangerous and time consuming.
So the reward have to be something special.
For simple tools there must be an easyer way to craft and repair them.

Ladybug can be killed with almost any equipment, the main thing is to constantly bypass it and not fall under a powerful ramming attack, and this can only be achieved by increasing your skill and experience. 8 hours is not a long time to play, and it's too early to attack a bombardier beetle or a ladybug. I will advise you my way of progress in the game, which I succeeded in: The first stage after creating basic equipment: create an armor from an acorn and a shield from a weevil. The second stage: dig up larvae and caterpillars that dig the ground with a shovel from an acorn near an oak tree (naturally during the day when there are no spiders), make larval armor and a poisonous caterpillar blade. The third stage: using a bow, blade and shield, kill enough ants to make ant armor, a club from an ant, complete the task of BURGL in the anthill and collect more quartzite. The fourth stage: take a stone spear, a shield, make an underwater dagger and collect ingredients for a breathing tube and fins in the pond. The fifth stage: to penetrate deeper into the pond and collect the ingredients for the diver's helmet. The sixth stage: take a shovel and get ingredients for a trident and armor made of KOI scales at the bottom of the pond. Stage seven: complete the BURGL tasks in the pond. Eighth stage: create a forge and upgrade weapons. Only after that it is worth hunting the bombardier beetle and ladybug, you will already have enough experience. In this case, the complication will be smoother. You are trying to skip several stages of development and are surprised by the sharply increasing complexity. As a rule, the game itself prompts, then it's too early for you to fight some opponents and pushes you to look for more suitable ones.

Edited by Feuer

PC/Single player/Mild

A few suggestions. 1. Choosing mild for a beginner is a wise choice. Get to know the gameplay/controls/environment first. Then try normal. 2. Don't rush the game. Play with the long view in mind. If you can't survive an area, avoid it. Don't try to complete everything at once. Take time to build your way around, over or through difficult terrain at a safe distance from enemies. There are many ways to complete a goal without staring eye to eye with a wolf spider at every turn. Think outside of the box. If something isn't working, try something else. Or wait until you are stronger and have better equipment. 3. Observe, observe, observe........stop the mad dash through the grass once in a while. Stay still. Listen. Take time to actually see and hear what's moving around you. Notice the pattern of an Orb Weaver's path. The pop of a web being placed. The sound of grass being pushed aside. The glint of Dew Drops above. The buzz of a mosquitos' wing. The surest way to become someone's meal is to run around like a mad rabbit or a crazed grasshopper. You will also miss those hidden areas and secrets in the blur of green as you rush pass them. Unless you've been spotted by a Wolf Spider, that is......then RUN! Just RUN!  4. Rocks are your friends. Tall wooden sticks. Posts along the pond. Nothing is more satisfying that looking down upon an enemy and raining arrows upon their heads. Just be aware that some spit acid and webs at you. Acid is to be avoided. Webs? How many do you need for that zip line or new bow? If you judge the distance just right, you'll be out of range but they will still decorate the area with thrown webs. Cool. Enjoy. When the game first started, we had to hack at the webs on the ground with Orb Weavers nearby. Don't know how long I had to use the sprig bow before I worked up enough courage to try. (Shudder: bad memory.) And lastly, just enjoy the game the way you want to play it. Don't like the constant battles, goop and gore.......build a mansion on a lily pad and just chill out near the pond. Can't or don't want to fight the Brood Mother high up in her Web Castle in the Gloom and Doom. Let her live 'happily-never-after' far, far, far away from you. You can always wait for another (new and improved) whack-them-over-the-head-weapon in the next update. Love the Death at Every Corner Challenge.....there is always Wow mode.

Is the game perfect? Well, it's getting there. There are many tweaks and changes we are all looking forward to.....but you cannot please everyone. At least the Obsidian team  listens to our ideas and feedback. Which is leaping mountains better than other game developers. Perhaps a little less pain for our new players just starting out? That might be a good thing for them to consider. Other ways to improve lower end armor and weapons without climbing two cliff walls, crawling through hot coal with death by sizzle and two wolf spiders nearby? Definitely. :)