Food Thread - Obsidian Gormand's Edition

ShadySands

https://www.tocabe.com/

@ShadySands

They  had this authentic Native American restaurant on Diners, Drive-in and Dives. Its in Denver. You should try it, they dont have a huge menu but they do have delicious Bison Ribs 🍖

• Thanks 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I've had it many times and it's pretty good. They have a food truck that used to come to the Denver Fed Center once a week. Of course, I think many of my family's fry bread is better but I grew up with a lot of similar foods.

• Like 2

Free games updated 3/4/21

On 3/1/2023 at 4:03 PM, ShadySands said:

Of course, I think many of my family's fry bread is better but I grew up with a lot of similar foods.

is not uncommon for us to get a hankering for fry bread, but our grandmother made with lard, so it don't taste right to us unless is made with lard. probable the only reason grandma used lard is 'cause such is what we typical had available. unfortunate, we rare have lard on hand anymore, so is equal rare we make fry bread. 

oh well.

our grandfather claimed he preferred absolute ghastly wildrice flat bread/cakes. the wild rice abominations were a pre-colonial staple not requiring wheat flour or baking powder. eating those things is where our lifelong disgust o' wild rice began.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I ended up making ramen. Sauteed some ****ake mushrooms in soy sauce and a few drops of Maggi seasoning and tossed that in with some tofu, wakame, green onion, bamboo shoots, and crispy garlic. Served with some crispy pork belly.

Son ate the pork belly but not the soup. Wife ate the soup but not the pork. I ate all the leftovers.

• Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

Zupa ogórkowa:

j2gUPAD.jpeg

😘

Lessons learned for next time:

1) Use more carrot to balance out the sourness of the pickles a bit more. I want the soup to be sour, but slightly less sour than it came out.

2) A slice of rye bread would go perfectly with this.

Still, definitely a success. It's not quite as good as my dad's zupa ogórkowa, but that's a really high bar to clear. I'm a lot more proficient at cooking Polish soups than I am Asian soups. I mean, I grew up on this stuff.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Thanks 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I made some special burgers yesterday. I wasn't sure if they'd be good but i still gave it a go. I used the standard recipe for the most part but i added ground zucchini and carrot, then i filled them with cheese and grilled them. Turned out pretty good

• Like 3

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

purchased a breville’s polyscience control freak. will be here march 9-14. 

we got plenty o' stainless steel cookware, so we should be good, but am now contemplating buying a decent carbon steel pan. am a big fan o' made in, but am thinking o' going lodge since we have such a good track record with lodge. 

most all our impulse buys nowadays is cooking related. is kinda a sickness.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I'm not even sure it officially qualifies as food.

I just bought a bunch of Huel. It's my second time toying around with plant based meal replacements, the first being one of the early formulations of Soylent. There's something about finding bachelor chow I am fascinated by. Ultra easy low calorie meals. Am I lazy slob who is looking to suck all the joy out of food by turning it into a numbers game? I don't have to answer that and you can't make me.

The Mac and Cheese was bland. This makes total sense for 200 calories at a half serving of Mac and "cheese." It's basically a cheese textured starch powder. Being inoffensively bland is a win.

• Haha 1
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I went to Jasmine Grill, a Mediterranean restaurant in The Queen City, with my sister. I got kofta kebabs with baba ganoush and fatush.

KdZ7Tod.jpeg

Those were some of the most delicious kebabs I've ever had. I'll definitely eat there again.

• Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Spanish garlic soup with croutons:

aPFVfGN.jpeg

Green onions and parsley were not part of the recipe I used but I added them as a garnish. It's quite tasty.

• Like 2

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

If anyone ever happens to go to Melbourne some day and are curious about Danish food. I can recommend the Denmark House. An old establishment and no, nobody in there speak Danish, I tried 😂

But the smørrebrød is just as good, if not better than anything you get back in Denmark and the Aalborg Akvavit (schnaps) is imported. The dark rhye bread is fresh made in house, not the concrete bricks pretending to be bread you get in supermarkets. For me a must go to place next time I get to Melboure 😎

m0wFRO0.jpg

Yes, I got two variants of herring, because I'm a sucker for pickled herrings

twxYMNi.jpg

Edit: Found a Danish letter ø, that I could cut and paste

• Like 4

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

@Gorth

am not a fan o' pickled herring but that spread don't look terrible. am not seeing any rotting walrus/whale blubber but you nordic peoples can be sneaky with the menu. 

unrelated, but as soup has made a few appearances o' late, am gonna share a couple videos from jacques pépin as he is kinda our soup pole star.

had never considered the quick grits as a thickener 'fore we saw the 'bove video. also, to show how flexible is the soup approach, is another variation from 2008.

is so rare one is able to use "unpretentious" and "french" to describe one individual. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Thanks 1

This is a clean out the fridge special:

LIxT8LX.jpeg

Nacho cheese sauce on the bottom, ground pork, rotisserie chicken, cheddar cheese, bell pepper, mushroom, red onion, avocado, and a bit of ranch dressing. The other tortilla goes on top then I cut it with a pizza cutter.

bXcsVxu.jpeg

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/5/2023 at 11:59 AM, Keyrock said:

Zupa ogórkowa:

1) Use more carrot to balance out the sourness of the pickles a bit more. I want the soup to be sour, but slightly less sour than it came out.

late unsolicited advice:

instead o' adding carrot for more sweetness, either make your own pickles or use a brand o' polish dill which is tending towards less vinegar. there ain't no vinegar used in making dill pickles but near every store brand has vinegar. go figure. even if eschewing vinegar, store brand dill pickles is almost invariably gonna be on the sour end o' the spectrum so look specific for "half sour" if you buy from store.

am finding krakus is a nice peppery polish dill w/o too much vinegar.

HA! Good Fun!

2 hours ago, Gromnir said:

late unsolicited advice:

instead o' adding carrot for more sweetness, either make your own pickles or use a brand o' polish dill which is tending towards less vinegar. there ain't no vinegar used in making dill pickles but near every store brand has vinegar. go figure. even if eschewing vinegar, store brand dill pickles is almost invariably gonna be on the sour end o' the spectrum so look specific for "half sour" if you buy from store.

am finding krakus is a nice peppery polish dill w/o too much vinegar.

HA! Good Fun!

I used ogórki małosolne from the Polish store in Pineville; there's no vinegar, they're pickled in brine and they're light years better than anything from Krakus. I'm not going to use a pickle brand I can buy from any ol' supermarket. If my family caught me doing that they'd disown me.:-

• Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

12 hours ago, Keyrock said:

I used ogórki małosolne

am thinking they might disown you anyway if a 2-day pickle is resulting too much sourness. just sayin.

edit:

@Keyrock point possible missed. you expressed the desire to add more carrot to your soup take the edge off the sour from the pickles when the obvious solution is to choose a less sour pickle alternative. is plenty o' authentic polish dill pickles which is existing in the half sour range. ask the grocer in pineville for a recommendation. the soup is not meant to use extreme fermented dills which is gonna result in more sour even w/o vinegar.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Haha 1

@Gorth

we viewed the newish jacques pépin video we linked in the youtube algorithm thread and it occurred to us we did not recognize the brand o' olive oil he uses. is noteworthy monsieur pépin, while not hard up for cash, is rare splurging on exotic and overpriced ingredients when doing his home cooking. he uses mccormick spices, mazzola corn oil, and generic grocery store brand beans. unpretentious.

am mentioning 'cause we didn't immediate recognize the brand o' extra virgin olive oil he uses.

https://cobramestate.com.au/

or 

https://www.cobramestate.com/

not sooper expensive regardless if is ca or australia.

we tagged gorth for this 'cause is likely he is gonna have ez access to cobram australia olive oil.

we didn't start using costco for anything but gasoline until the pandemic, but am admitted a limited convert to the warehouse grocery culture and one item we do not hesitate to purchase is the kirkland brand 2l italian extra virgin olive oil. in spite o' the low cost am having no qualms 'bout the quality. even so, am gonna at least try cobram the next time we run low on olive oil.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gromnir said:

@Gorth

we viewed the newish jacques pépin video we linked in the youtube algorithm thread and it occurred to us we did not recognize the brand o' olive oil he uses. is noteworthy monsieur pépin, while not hard up for cash, is rare splurging on exotic and overpriced ingredients when doing his home cooking. he uses mccormick spices, mazzola corn oil, and generic grocery store brand beans. unpretentious.

am mentioning 'cause we didn't immediate recognize the brand o' extra virgin olive oil he uses.

https://cobramestate.com.au/

or 

https://www.cobramestate.com/

not sooper expensive regardless if is ca or australia.

we tagged gorth for this 'cause is likely he is gonna have ez access to cobram australia olive oil.

we didn't start using costco for anything but gasoline until the pandemic, but am admitted a limited convert to the warehouse grocery culture and one item we do not hesitate to purchase is the kirkland brand 2l italian extra virgin olive oil. in spite o' the low cost am having no qualms 'bout the quality. even so, am gonna at least try cobram the next time we run low on olive oil.

HA! Good Fun!

It's my staple virgin oil 😎

I sometimes get the less strongly flavoured variant, but mostly I get the one below 👍

wrufDUM.jpg

• Like 2

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

made beans and greens

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1021902-braised-white-beans-and-greens-with-parmesan

we don't much follow the 'bove recipe but our version is a close approximation and is one o' the few ways am willing to eat kale. am making 'bout 1/2 what is called for in the nytimes version and even so am only using 1/2 C o' chicken stock as posed to 2C and am adding 2x as much red pepper flakes. added 4 cloves garlic, but that were 'cause one o' the cloves were just a wee little thing. ordinarily we skip the fennel and use more onion. today was "ordinarily."  broccoli rabe or escarole is gonna be our go to greens, but we also like kale for this concoction, so we used one fair sized bunch o' kale. no mozzarella in our version but we do use a decent amount o' parmesan. obvious if you want more healthy you are gonna reduce cheese. we chose not to reduce the cheese.

the times for cooking in the linked recipe is wrong for us. it always takes more than four to six for the kale begin getting wilty and our single can o' cannellini beans (again, am doing 'bout 1/2 the recipe) demands at least the eight minutes to be reaching proper tenderness. admitted, to begin having the kale become wilted we cook covered medium-low as 'posed to uncovered medium.

to finish am adding a healthy drizzle o' olive oil and fresh grated parmesan . no lemon juice, though that would bring brightness to the dish.

am not a vegetarian by any means, but we do enjoy beans and greens.

HA! Good Fun!