Food Thread - Obsidian Gormand's Edition

ShadySands

18 minutes ago, majestic said:

blinking-smile.gif

But pork is haram. It's the haram food. It's so haram that almost nothing else is next to it...

Anyway, kebab pizza is pretty good. It's been a staple of our (numerous) Turkish fast food places for so long that I never would have guessed it originated in Sweden. 

Only if you're muslim, and considering the price of pork compared to other meats here the explanation is an easy one. I've yet to see a pizzeria that doesn't offer atleast one with bacon.

Cool, found this article as one of the sources on wikipedia; https://www.sonomamag.com/swedish-pizza-is-bananas-now-you-can-try-it-in-petaluma/

Someone that's trying to convert Californians to Swedish pizza 😄

• Confused 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

4 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

Only if you're muslim, and considering the price of pork compared to other meats here the explanation is an easy one. I've yet to see a pizzeria that doesn't offer atleast one with bacon.

Cool, found this article as one of the sources on wikipedia; https://www.sonomamag.com/swedish-pizza-is-bananas-now-you-can-try-it-in-petaluma/

Someone that's trying to convert Californians to Swedish pizza 😄

"Curry banana pizza"

No. Please stop.

• Haha 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

5 minutes ago, Space KP, Baby said:

"Curry banana pizza"

No. Please stop.

Not my favourite, but don't dis' it 'til you try it :p I used to chow down pineapple+banana pizza all the time, but without curry

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

16 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

I'm guessing this is one of those instances where the same word means different things in different places, because there's no such thing is pork kebab here. The Greeks here would probably flay you alive for orderding kebab at their places, you can have gyros or souvlaki, both usually made with pork. You see a place advertising kebab, it's most commonly beef or chicken, and sometimes lamb.

In the worst case scenario it is made of old mutton. :p

Edited by majestic
  • Hmmm 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

13 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

If you ever get the opportunity, I highly recommend an Italian beef with hot giardiniera pizza.

Images look pretty close to some of the pizza we can get here, it looks good 🤤

11 minutes ago, majestic said:

I'm guessing this is one of those instances where the same word means different things in different places, because there's no such thing is pork kebab here. The Greeks here would probably flay you alive for orderding kebab at their places, you can have gyros or souvlaki, both usually made with pork. You see a place advertising kebab, it's most commonly beef or chicken, and sometimes lamb.

In the worst case scenario it is made of old mutton. :p

Well, there probably wasn't pork in the beginning, but things evolve. You don't see many of our muslim immigrants eating kebab pizza for that reason.

1 hour ago, Bartimaeus said:

As a pretty proud hater of ketchup, I would at least try the stuff you made to see if I feel any differently about it. Haven't found one I liked yet, but you never know...

the greatest strength o' our ketchup is also its most obvious weakness. 

basic-thegoodplace.gif

am suspecting you are gonna wanna add something to punch it up a bit. 

alternative, find a store brand which has the absolute fewest ingredients, making sure all those ingredients is stuff you recognize and like, then pour into a sauce pan and add jalapenos, lime juice and cayenne if you like american-spicy, or add indian spices if you like indian or... whatever.

btw, we use cherry tomatoes (canned is fine)'cause they have more sweetness than other varieties o' tomato and as you are always adding some kinda sugar to ketchup, you might as well use cherry tomatoes so you are able to decrease your need for brown sugar, molasses, etc.

aside, cherry tomatoes is also the one variety o' the berry which is natural shelf stable and has not been over engineered withstand travel resulting in less tomato taste. cherry is literal the only variety o' tomato we will buy at a supermarket. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

before lent am making a few carnivore meals. is a localish store where am able to purchase quality tasso and excellent andouille, but we gotta make our own pickled pork if am wanting to have good red beans and rice. takes three days to pickle the pork shoulder. three days.

if any southern folk or yanks who like red beans and rice got a great recipe or alternative for the pickled pork, am interested to hear, 'cause for us the pork is always the most time consuming part o' the dish and am never feeling as if we got it right for all the effort.

am also observing how for the past six months it has been difficult to find quality bay leaves.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

• 2 weeks later...

It's easy to stay on a keto diet when I eat polędwica:

eTDWlDu.jpeg

This is for all intents and purposes what we strangely call Canadian bacon here in Murica, except the absolute highest quality Canadian bacon from a deli, not the mediocre stuff you can get from any ol' supermarket anywhere.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

If you want to slow cook a giant roast in the oven, is it better to leave it on traditional bake or does that convection-bake setting work ok and if so how does it affect cooking time? Traditional thought was faster/higher temp = tougher but dunno what it is with these supposed convection ovens now.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

29 minutes ago, LadyCrimson said:

If you want to slow cook a giant roast in the oven, is it better to leave it on traditional bake or does that convection-bake setting work ok and if so how does it affect cooking time? Traditional thought was faster/higher temp = tougher but dunno what it is with these supposed convection ovens now.

not all cuts o' meat are the same. is beef, pork, lamb? "giant roast" is not enough to give good advice, but in general, the tougher the meat, the more am recommending low and slow cooking as 'posed to convection. in theory a convection setting for eye of round should work well as long as you cook on a rack and get full air circulation resulting in a oven-seared roast, but is so difficult to get appropriate collagen breakdown on those leaner cuts. the closer to hooves and/or head for beef, the less likely am recommending convection. prime rib? convection would be our preferred setting in part 'cause you get more even cooking.

reverse sear is our approach to most roast beef, and am going low temp and longer cooking times.

(edit: added underline, 'cause the rack is a vital factor. convection is cooking with a fan and so if you have a roast in a pan with juice and a crowd o' veggies cooking simultaneous, then you are serious undercutting the value and the point o' convection.)

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

Oh, I just meant something like a cross rib beef or giant pork shoulders like from CostCo, alone, no sides.

My mother would toss in cross ribs on a slotted broiler pan, or a simple metal V holder, at some really low temp - 150? 175? I forget - at 8m and it would be done at 5pm, that sort of thing. When I used to do them a lot I'd raise the temp to 225-250 so it would cook faster and it was fine. We're not very picky, just don't want it to chew like leather or something.

The small pork shoulders from the grocery store I was doing in a crock pot since it's intended mainly for my soup and some casual hubby-sandwiches but the ones from CostCo are huge and won't fit in there so...

The oven in this house, that convection fan goes on every time it heats up to temp, even in bake mode. It doesn't stay on the whole time in bake mod, but I find that weird. Don't know the workings of 'em tho, never had one before. I tried using the convection setting but it was browning way too fast so I put it on bake mode.

..at any rate, I think I'll stick to the smaller ones from the grocery store. Just thought I'd try it ... it wasn't all that much cheaper per pound at CostCo anyway.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

made a lent version o' red lentil and carrot soup

we got the original recipe from nyt, (so they deserve credit) and then made small additions/changes. following is the original ingredient list.

3 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for drizzling
1 large onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced

1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 teaspoon ground cumin
¼ teaspoon kosher salt (such as Diamond Crystal), plus more to taste
¼ teaspoon black pepper
Pinch of chili powder or ground cayenne, plus more to taste

(late edit: we ordinary skip the chili powder and/or cayenne and instead add ¼-½ t cinnamon as well as 1 t hot paprika and ½t tumeric)

1 large carrot, peeled and diced

1 quart chicken or vegetable broth
1 cup red lentils

Juice of ½ lemon, more to taste
3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro

assuming we have guests, we ordinarily double the recipe and add an extra carrot (three total... sometimes four) and for lent, to make a bit more o' a meal, we supplement with one o' those small cans o' full fat coconut milk; thai kitchen small cans is 5.5 oz here in the US. am also only adding an additional 2 C broth as 'posed to a quart, so 6 C total. furthermore, when you double, you do not need double the olive oil; go 4 T total. 

'cause is original nyt we didn't post their full recipe, but soup has basic steps which is universal and represent where we created breaks:

1) sauté veggies in oil 'til translucent, though you may go a bit more robust if you wish; 2) add spices and and cook 'bout a minute or two until fragrant then add in paste and/our flour if you if you are using such and fully coat veggies; 2.5) for this recipe, am at the point where we add the carrot and so it is gonna require a 4-5 minutes to soften the tubers-- be careful with your heat; 3) add fluids (plus coconut milk) and lentils then simmer partial covered until lentils is soft, and then a bit longer 'cause truth is red lentils get soft extreme fast-- give it 30-45 minutes; 4) puree with either an immersion blender or by removing half soup to a real blender; 5) serve with lemon, cilantro and a bit o' drizzled olive oil.

'cause is a lentil soup it provides substantial protein sans any meat. the coconut milk makes the soup a bit more filling and perhaps a smidge luxurious. serve with crusty bread.

the leftovers is ok in the fridge for a week, but as with most soup, it freezes exceptional well.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

On 2/6/2023 at 12:20 AM, Azdeus said:

Not my favourite, but don't dis' it 'til you try it :p I used to chow down pineapple+banana pizza all the time, but without curry

If you look at the history of pizza, there were things that were called that in Italy and had nothing to do with what we know as pizza today. Some types of pizza were sweet pies or pancakes.

What we call pizza today was the street food of Naples' workers, a kind of open top sandwich to eat on the go.

• Like 1

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

I'm going to try my hand at making miso soup.

kxvdkum.jpeg

I know I need dashi and I'm not yet adventurous enough to make my own from scratch, so I got concentrated dashi. There are a bunch of varieties of miso paste and I have no clue, so I just picked one. Tofu, ****ake mushrooms, sugar snap peas, and green onions (not pictured) seemed like no-brainers to add and I also got daikon I'm going to put in the soup because I love me some radishes. 

• Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

2 hours ago, Keyrock said:

I'm going to try my hand at making miso soup.

I know I need dashi and I'm not yet adventurous enough to make my own from scratch, so I got concentrated dashi. There are a bunch of varieties of miso paste and I have no clue, so I just picked one. Tofu, ****ake mushrooms, sugar snap peas, and green onions (not pictured) seemed like no-brainers to add and I also got daikon I'm going to put in the soup because I love me some radishes. 

no wakame? 

dashi is extreme simple. compared to chicken noodle soup, miso is ridiculous ez and it takes less than fifteen minutes to make a nice cup/bowl o' soup. what is requiring the most time is the dashi. 

bring a couple squares kombu (1 oz ?) in 2qt water to a good simmer and let simmer fiveish minutes.  take your pot off heat and add 1oz katsuobushi. allow the kombu and katsuobushi to steep for ~five minutes. again, this step is done off heat. strain your dashi through a fine mesh strainer. done. serious, that's it. at this point, all you do for traditional miso is add your miso paste (whisk into your dashi with a fine mesh strainer 'cause you don't want clumps and bits o' paste in your soup) wakame and tofu... and perhaps garnish with the green onions. 

btw, we would also recommend at least firm tofu although soft or even silk is not gonna ruin the miso, but is gonna be a tendency for the tofu to disincorporate if is on the less firm end o' the spectrum. gonna admit for our miso soup we air fry our tofu and make it crispy for a bit more depth o' flavor. sue us.

HA! Good Fun!

• Thanks 1

My miso soup:

gMrLrkz.jpeg

Not authentic since I forgot to buy wakame and I'm too lazy to drive to the nearest asian market. Despite this, the soup is quite good. 

Lessons for next time:

1) Don't forget the wakame, dumbass

2) Use more daikon on account of daikon being much milder than a western radish and super delicious

3) Soft tofu was a good choice, held its shape and melts in my mouth

Edited by Keyrock
  • Thanks 3

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Thanks for that, was curious if soft tofu would hold up. 

I don't cook with a lot of tofu but I make a pork and tofu stir fry with a sweet chili sauce and a decent hot and sour soup and both call for firmer tofu, especially the stir fry.

Was thinking of making a fideo soup today but now I'm considering miso. 

Edited by ShadySands
  • Hmmm 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

Halibut with lemon butter sauce, roasted cauliflower, and a spinach salad. Not bad and healthy.

• Like 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

My wife and my daughter had a steak competition this weekend. I went to the store and got a fair amount of Round Eye Steaks for a decent price, and my daughter has been taking part in FFA (Future Farmers of America) and learning to judge meat (that's what she said.)

My wife did a dry rub, seared it, and then baked it with rosemary and butter. It was decent. But my daughter seared and then basted it on the stove with onions and broth. She won! Now we get to bug her to cook steaks until she moves out of the house.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Hurlshort said:

My wife and my daughter had a steak competition this weekend. I went to the store and got a fair amount of Round Eye Steaks for a decent price, and my daughter has been taking part in FFA (Future Farmers of America) and learning to judge meat (that's what she said.)

My wife did a dry rub, seared it, and then baked it with rosemary and butter. It was decent. But my daughter seared and then basted it on the stove with onions and broth. She won! Now we get to bug her to cook steaks until she moves out of the house.

Child labour alive and well in California 😁

• Haha 4

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

3 hours ago, Gorth said:

Child labour alive and well in California 😁

given our particular frame o' mind, am thinking if we were hurl's wife we would throw the match while not making it look obvious. when we were a crumbsnatcher, we did quite a bit o' work on the ranch 'cause there were always work which needed be done. muck out stables were one o' our least favorite chores, but the mental list o' least favorites were voluminous. the typical kid our age were expected to do chores: cut the grass, shovel snow, clean dishes, kitchen, bathrooms, etc. heck, once we moved to chicago we had a paper route and chores, though no horse stalls so we saw as a major improvement in our quality o' life.

nowadays? in 2023 we wouldn't be shocked if neighbors called child protective services on parents o' kids who were doing as Gromnir; child labour and all that. 

parents gotta be sly and clever in 2023 'cause am understanding cultural norms has changed a bit regarding chores. is probable a good thing for kids to enjoy their youth, so am kinda ambivalent. even so, prepare a couple meals every week don't strike us as particular onerous. have kids be enthusiastic to do what is functional chores? if mrs. hurlshot could take an L to maybe convince hurl's daughter to choose to do cooking, then am calling that a win. same competition and we would purposeful lose to the young person... without making look purposeful. 

aside for @Hurlshot: pineapple juice. eye of round looks a bit like chuck but is near the arse end o' the beast, so is a bit less tough than chuck or cross-rib, etc. nevertheless eye of round is less tender than sirloin or rib-eye or most any other steak cut not meant to be braised. furthermore, particular if you do shopping at a soopermarket, you may get stuck with sirloin which is not worth the money you paid. is an enzyme in pineapple juice which will tenderize even tougher (sh!tty) cuts o' meat. one hour in pineapple juice (and salt) is gonna significant improve what would otherwise be tough meat. won't make the meat taste like pineapple neither. pineapple juice is effective less 'cause it is acidic than 'cause o' the enzyme, but the acidity also helps.

(edit: am not a fan o' marinades save for extreme thin cut meat. if you got time, then am always opting for what amounts to a brine.)

am admitting am kinda surprised by the ffa participation. at least when we were young, 4h and ffa were making the raising o' an animal integral to the program. have you moved somewheres with more space? we s'pose raise a chicken or bunny is possible if you don't have acreage, but no doubt you and your daughter is aware the critter ain't being raised until you may find it a good home, yes? unless things has serious changed, raising an ffa bunny won't necessarily end with an old yeller scene, but you will be selling the critter to somebody who is not looking for a pet.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 3

Mrs. Hurlshot definitely phoned it in a bit on the competition. She has always been really good at cooking meat (I tend to handle vegetables) but I'm pretty sure she was throwing it. She was also a couple glasses of chardonnay in. ;) 

Morgan Hill and Gilroy are pretty decent agricultural areas, even with all the development in recent years. My wife grew up here and can do all the weird farm stuff like strangling chickens or whatever. I'm a city boy compared to her. The High School has a functioning farm with livestock. I was surprised my daughter joined up, but her options for chemistry this year were a teacher she already struggled with or Soil Chem on the FFA track. She is getting good grades in Soil Chem, so I think she made the right choice. She also seems to enjoy the competition side of it and she's not afraid to get her hands dirty. We have plenty of friends with livestock on their property, so she is getting her animal husbandry credit there.

I'm not building a chicken coop, no matter how much my wife and daughter bug me about it. :down:

• Like 1