Food Thread - Obsidian Gormand's Edition

ShadySands

Just now, KP on top of ZA WARUDO said:

How does that work out? The pre-made stuff as seasoning usually turns me off.

I only use premade ranch because I actually kinda like it but you can make your own as well. Here's one I just googled so no idea how it turns out. I also throw a handful of prunes in because it gives it that, well..

47565009.jpg

• Gasp! 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

10 minutes ago, KP on top of ZA WARUDO said:

Hmm, I think I'll try this the next time I make burgers. About how many patties per pound?

Out of a 2.25 lbs package of ground beef I usually make 6 burgers, so 12 patties. That works out to 5.3 patties per pound. It's not an exact science, I just form roughly inch and a half diameter balls for each patty. I generally cook on one notch below max heat. You will likely get a bit of burn you need to scrape with your spatula, that's just extra flavor. Do all your prep ahead of time because once the meat hits the pan it's very quick, little to no time to do anything else.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

12 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

I only use premade ranch because I actually kinda like it but you can make your own as well. Here's one I just googled so no idea how it turns out. I also throw a handful of prunes in because it gives it that, well..

47565009.jpg

Wow, I can say that isn't what I thought powdered buttermilk would be. I'm not sure if I can find that, so when I make this I'll probably just bite the bullet and do pre-made.

5 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

Out of a 2.25 lbs package of ground beef I usually make 6 burgers, so 12 patties. That works out to 5.3 patties per pound. It's not an exact science, I just form roughly inch and a half diameter balls for each patty. I generally cook on one notch below max heat. You will likely get a bit of burn you need to scrape with your spatula, that's just extra flavor. Do all your prep ahead of time because once the meat hits the pan it's very quick, little to no time to do anything else.

Thanks, next time I do burgers I'll smash them and see how it does.

• Thanks 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

My kitchen got subjected to a number of strange things over the Christmas and New Years period. Not at least because of that female friend I had staying at my place for a month. Rum Balls, Feta and Ham Filos, Pizzas (New York style), pan cakes. Egg Fried rice (with ham, green onions, carrots and some interesting sauces),  various curried. Now in pondering if I should have a go at Kimchi Stew 🍲 

Got a lot of leftover Kimchi that needs to be used soon

• Like 3

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

33 minutes ago, Gorth said:

My kitchen got subjected to a number of strange things over the Christmas and New Years period. Not at least because of that female friend I had staying at my place for a month. Rum Balls, Feta and Ham Filos, Pizzas (New York style), pan cakes. Egg Fried rice (with ham, green onions, carrots and some interesting sauces),  various curried. Now in pondering if I should have a go at Kimchi Stew 🍲 

It sounds like you guys had a great time, where is she from and where did you take her to in Oz and what did you generally do ?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

1 hour ago, BruceVC said:

It sounds like you guys had a great time, where is she from and where did you take her to in Oz and what did you generally do ?

My, are we curious... 😁

I think I may have covered it in the what you did today thread, but short recap, she's an old friend that I got to know online originally, while playing Star Wars the Old Republic. It turned into a real life friendship. This time around, she came and stayed at my place for a full month. Working from home some of the time, which meant she would work from home at my place and I would work in the office here in Brisbane (we work for competing products). When not working, she would split her time with me and her family up here. Her brother, in-law and a little niece that was born while borders were closed and nobody could visit each other. When not with her family, she and I would go to the theater and watch stage productions, try out Halal Snack Packs (https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/LocationPhotoDirectLink-g255068-d12435083-i299586287-Eat_Fresh_Takeaway_House-Brisbane_Brisbane_Region_Queensland.html), cook our own stuff (hence my previous post, a lot of the new things we tried out, get drunk, fool around, go for long walks, whatever two people do living under the same roof for a while. And no, it's not a "romantic relationship". She's 27 years younger than me 😝

We are very close friends however.

• Like 1
  • Gasp! 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

9 hours ago, Gorth said:

It's simple, but kimchi coleslaw just slaps.

7 hours ago, Gorth said:

we work for competing products

I wouldn't mention that, yall don't want the firms yall work for to send out a hit squad on yall.

• Gasp! 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Kimchi coleslaw?  Can't say I ever had it, but my brother's a big kimchi fan.  I'll  have to ask if he has next time we talk (assuming I remember this)

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

5 minutes ago, Amentep said:

Kimchi coleslaw?

Yeah, it's nice to do with leftover kimchi if you want something different.

• Thanks 1

On 1/29/2022 at 9:45 AM, Gorth said:

My, are we curious... 😁

I think I may have covered it in the what you did today thread, but short recap, she's an old friend that I got to know online originally, while playing Star Wars the Old Republic. It turned into a real life friendship. This time around, she came and stayed at my place for a full month. Working from home some of the time, which meant she would work from home at my place and I would work in the office here in Brisbane (we work for competing products). When not working, she would split her time with me and her family up here. Her brother, in-law and a little niece that was born while borders were closed and nobody could visit each other. When not with her family, she and I would go to the theater and watch stage productions, try out Halal Snack Packs (https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/LocationPhotoDirectLink-g255068-d12435083-i299586287-Eat_Fresh_Takeaway_House-Brisbane_Brisbane_Region_Queensland.html), cook our own stuff (hence my previous post, a lot of the new things we tried out, get drunk, fool around, go for long walks, whatever two people do living under the same roof for a while. And no, it's not a "romantic relationship". She's 27 years younger than me 😝

We are very close friends however.

I wanted  to mention this earlier but its normal and healthy  to have platonic relationships with women, I consider my friendships with my lady friends  to be equally as important as the physical\sexual relationships I have with women

And you brought  up  this possible  age barrier with your friend , if she was 20 and you were 47 I would say its unusual but if she is 25-28 ( or older ) and you 52 or older its really not such a big deal unless you want it to be

I dont think the age gap should be a reason you think " I cant try to date her" because sometimes in life many other more important things can influence a relationship and the age is not necessarily one of those

Also I have dated lots of single moms and I find them generally to be very reasonable about lots of thing but is she a single mom?

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

1 hour ago, BruceVC said:

Also I have dated lots of single moms and I find them generally to be very reasonable about lots of thing but is she a single mom?

Oh no, she isn't. It was just unusual for me to actually have any close friends at all (after not having had that for decades). Anyway, I'll let hear from me in a week or so when I've tried the Kimchi stew

• Like 1

In an attempt to eat healthier, but not too healthier, I got a nutribullet blender for Christmas and have been makink smoothies. I tried a combo of bluberry, blackberry, raspberry, strawberry and banana and it was alright (too many seeds). Then I tried peach, pineapple, kiwi, grape and banana and its delicious. Actually, the older the banana the better, for me.

• Gasp! 1

21 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

In an attempt to eat healthier, but not too healthier, I got a nutribullet blender for Christmas and have been makink smoothies. I tried a combo of bluberry, blackberry, raspberry, strawberry and banana and it was alright (too many seeds). Then I tried peach, pineapple, kiwi, grape and banana and its delicious. Actually, the older the banana the better, for me.

Are you dumping fruit trays into your blender?

I am terrible at making a decent fruit smoothie. It always comes out as too bitter, or too seedy. 

I have managed to master the protein shake. 1 1/2 cups of oat milk, 2 scoops or organic powder, and 1 frozen banana. That's a pretty decent start to my day. The oat milk is probably too much sugar, but whatever. I gave up my orange juice habit at least.

Flapjacks with maple syrup. I tried out this high protein pancake mix:

qaRClLB.jpeg

It's not bad. Had someone just handed me a plate of these flapjacks I would never have suspected that they're not just plain ol' regular flapjacks.

Side note: I rarely do sweet breakfast, I'm usually a greasy breakfast guy. I do corn beef hash & eggs, bacon & eggs, sausage & eggs... Basically, some manner of greasy meat product & eggs. My dad is a sweet breakfast guy and my mom often doesn't have breakfast at all. My sister has changed her diet so many times that I have no clue what she does for breakfast these days 

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

1 hour ago, Keyrock said:

qaRClLB.jpeg

It's not bad. Had someone just handed me a plate of these flapjacks I would never have suspected that they're not just plain ol' regular flapjacks.

Side note: I rarely do sweet breakfast, I'm usually a greasy breakfast guy. I do corn beef hash & eggs, bacon & eggs, sausage & eggs... Basically, some manner of greasy meat product & eggs. My dad is a sweet breakfast guy and my mom often doesn't have breakfast at all. My sister has changed her diet so many times that I have no clue what she does for breakfast these days 

A greasy breakfast is always my favorite 🍳

John Milton 

4 hours ago, Keyrock said:

qaRClLB.jpeg

Lately I've been eating granola with yogurt or protein shakes because they're healthier, but when I do eat something else for breakfast I like sweet and meat. Chicken and waffles is top tier, but pancakes and meat (usually sausage) is high up their as well. As far as mixes go, the kodak stuff works good for me. There's some protein stuff that is just nasty and best not to talk about.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KP the Torque Dork said:

Chicken and waffles is top tier

I've never actually had chicken & waffles. I feel that I need to rectify that soon because I'm failing at being a proper southerner. :facepalm:

• Gasp! 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

2 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

I've never actually had chicken & waffles. I feel that I need to rectify that soon because I'm failing at being a proper southerner. :facepalm:

Do that as soon as you can.

2 hours ago, ShadySands said:

Me too, but minus the coffee.

when we were gainful employed, breakfast was, as often as not, a weekend luxury. 

HA! Good Fun!

ps we had coffee once, as a kid. don't recall specific other than it tasted vile. then we had again, once, in university when studying for midterms and trying to stay awake. our recollection o' the flavour is it were akin towhat water would tase like if it were run through a rusty pipe, over and over and over again. s'posed we were tasting "the good stuff," with the proviso, "coffee is an acquired taste."  we didn't have the patience or inclination to acquire. 

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I'm making my world household famous chili to take on the road with me. It's one of the best take along meals since it keeps for a long time and it's just as delicious nuked as it is when initially cooked. That pretty much applies to any soup/stew, I guess.

I should expand my soup/stew repertoire. I make delicious chili and beef stew but I rarely try anything else. I made a halfway decent chicken & dumplings once, but it could stand to improve.

• Gasp! 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸