About Van Buren

SteeL

I don't agree with Carsten's opinion about turn based games either, but in general he is fair and he listens to other people's arguments. It is hard to have a reasonable discussion when people are insulting you every other sentence like the people at DAC were. Carsten does not shy away from responding to criticism, and if you present enough reasonable points, he will take them into consideration. That's much better than if he just rolled over to everything the fans said?

Not getting into the type of game conversation, but I have found that there really isn't much of a correlation between Amazon.com sales ranks and how well a game is actually selling.

It seems to be very hard to acquire accurate results on sales, although I assume that the publishers do have them.

Also - I must buy a copy of Silent Storm.

It's also turn based, has destructible environments and you control a squad (like in JA or FOT I guess). Later on you get laser weapons and PanzerKleins (power armor) just like everyone else did back in WW2. :lol:

(It's an alternate history WW2 actually)

I am thinking of picking it up. It is getting good reviews on GameSpot and elsewhere.

The only problems with Obsidian buying the license would be (1) Would Interplay want to part with such a famous License, and (2) How much would it go for? Obsidian is new, and as such probably doesn't have pocketbooks with high six digit values just for a license. As sad as it is, Fallout 3 will probably never be made.

That's a really pessimistic approach. Why do you think it will _never_ be made? That's non-sense. One day or another, one way or another, it will be finished. Either by interplay, or by someone who will want to revive history and buy the lisence from Interplay.

And as for the lisence price, as far as I heared, it would cost at least a couple of million $.

Only a couple of Million US $? Well, let me just pull that right out of my butt and get the deal going. :rolleyes:

That's a rather strange place to keep your money in..

I use a bank myself.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

The only problems with Obsidian buying the license would be (1) Would Interplay want to part with such a famous License, and (2) How much would it go for? Obsidian is new, and as such probably doesn't have pocketbooks with high six digit values just for a license. As sad as it is, Fallout 3 will probably never be made.

That's a really pessimistic approach. Why do you think it will _never_ be made? That's non-sense. One day or another, one way or another, it will be finished. Either by interplay, or by someone who will want to revive history and buy the lisence from Interplay.

And as for the lisence price, as far as I heared, it would cost at least a couple of million $.

I'm with you, brother! :) We should belive, how sad grand dady Lenin... :)

I'v got e-mail from Feargus, here it is:

===================

Hi,

Thanks for the e-mail and the support. Maybe we will work on Fallout in the future, but probably not anytime soon.

Sincerely,

Feargus Urquhart

CEO

Obsidian Entertainment, Inc.

===================

Actualy, he didn't tell anything... waiting...

I'v got e-mail from Feargus, here it is:

===================

Hi,

Thanks for the e-mail and the support.  Maybe we will work on Fallout in the future, but probably not anytime soon.

Sincerely,

Feargus Urquhart

CEO

Obsidian Entertainment, Inc.

===================

Actualy, he didn't tell anything... waiting...

So we can rule out that Projext X is FO3 then (?) Then we're down to what? .. :

KOTOR (97% chance)

Cyberpunk crpg (1% chance)

Jefferson crpg (1% chance)

Brand new crpg (1% chance)

Hope is dimming for a new top-angle-view-mystAry-engine-FR-6member-party-crpg it seems.

ACK! :)

Knowing Interplay, they would do a Fallout 3 on the consoles and change everything about it.  Sort of like Ultima X has no relationship at all to the previous games in the series and is a slap in the face to the loyal fan of the single player series.

Ouch! :)

I sincerly hope not, I'm still in pain after the last two kicks in the FO fanbase's groin. :angry:

I emailed Tim Cain to inquire if Troika wanted to aquire the Fallout license from Interplay. Here was his reply:

I wish Troika has the kind of money to make a serious bid for the Fallout license. However, despite rumors to the contrary, Interplay is NOT selling the Fallout license right now. I have spoken with them personally, and I have talked to other people who have made them offers. They have rebuffed all offers made to them to date.

It looks like they are holding onto the license for now. Let's see what the future holds...

Tim.

It looks like Interplay is holding out, even thought they have had many offers. It would be just like them to go bankrupt and take the fallout license with them...

You guys probably already know this - but as much as you'd like to know what we're working on, we're probably 10x more excited to be able to tell you and others we're doing. You trying telling friends, "I'm working on an unannounced project". It gets old fast. :(

-Ferret

Designer on Project X

I emailed Tim Cain to inquire if Troika wanted to aquire the Fallout license from Interplay. Here was his reply:

I wish Troika has the kind of money to make a serious bid for the Fallout license. However, despite rumors to the contrary, Interplay is NOT selling the Fallout license right now. I have spoken with them personally, and I have talked to other people who have made them offers. They have rebuffed all offers made to them to date.

It looks like they are holding onto the license for now. Let's see what the future holds...

Tim.

It looks like Interplay is holding out, even thought they have had many offers. It would be just like them to go bankrupt and take the fallout license with them...

However, despite rumors to the contrary, Interplay is NOT selling the Fallout license right now.
They decided to study if they should sell the rights for pcgames based on the Fallout license or even for a broader deal in December actually, for the first time in all these years. Having said that

They have rebuffed all offers made to them to date.

This is true, so no need to dwell on this issue for now, just wait a few months. And let the Obsidian guys do their thing.

Who owns the rights to wasteland?

EA, which licensed it out to Brian Fargo's inXile. And it's too bad, since he's going to make a crappy console shooter out of it.

There are no doors in Jefferson that are "special game locked" doors. There are no characters in that game that you can kill that will result in the game ending prematurely.

You guys probably already know this - but as much as you'd like to know what we're working on, we're probably 10x more excited to be able to tell you and others we're doing. You trying telling friends, "I'm working on an unannounced project". It gets old fast. ;)

-Ferret

Designer on Project X

Then tell us. :D

In the name of Allah the Compassionate and the Merciful,

"OMG PLZ 1 OF U COMPANIES MAKEE FALLOUT 3 IT WOULD B SO GOOD TRUST ME MAKE IT PLZ ILL SUCK UR WANK WHATEVER U WWANT

'n plz haev appearance wif CYRUS he could be liek licking titz and you go "HYE CYRUS WAT UP DAWG" and he wud go liek "Killin' some puk azz mudafukas"'

Children, Fallout 3 is dead. Let us look forward to Obsidian's new game, and stop talking about nonsense.

Allah Akhbar!

"OMG PLZ 1 OF U COMPANIES MAKEE FALLOUT 3 IT WOULD B SO GOOD TRUST ME MAKE IT PLZ ILL SUCK UR WANK WHATEVER U WWANT

'n plz haev appearance wif CYRUS he could be liek licking titz and you go "HYE CYRUS WAT UP DAWG" and he wud go liek "Killin' some puk azz mudafukas"'

Children, Fallout 3 is dead.  Let us look forward to Obsidian's new game, and stop talking about nonsense.

Allah Akhbar!

If you manage to convince 50 people to stop whining about Fallout 3, I will not only convert Islam, but I will also open all posts* with "In the name of Allah the merciful and compassionate."

*All posts for 1 day.

I'd like to see Fallout 3, provided it was co-designed by MCA and JE and they were given an unlimited budget to make it.

Not gonna happen, though.

There are no doors in Jefferson that are "special game locked" doors. There are no characters in that game that you can kill that will result in the game ending prematurely.

I agree MCA and JE would be the best 'new generation' people to work on Fallout (the 'old generation' being Tim Cain and Troika guys). I am worried that **** don't want to sell the license, this tells me that unfortunately they're not just about to go bankrupt. i'd pay good money to see that hellish company die.

Children, Fallout 3 is dead. Let us look forward to Obsidian's new game, and stop talking about nonsense.

Allah Akhbar!

Man, I am rather surprised by this but I absolutely agree with Ayatollah on this one.

I dislike being associated with Interplay. Please refrain from calling the company "hellish" in the future.

But they'll die alright, with no good projects on the horizon and but a half dozen experienced people left.