About Van Buren

SteeL

I don't see the problem in submitting ideas and the devs actually using them for a change. For that I think he's pretty cool.

On the other hand if you challenge any of his ideas he seems to ignore you? Perhaps I'm being to sensitive and stuff, vagina.

>*

Maybe, but not the part where he is asking fans to "give us ideas to use, and then charge you for."

More twisted logic. So devs shouldn't ever ask for fan input, because then they are cheating you out of your money? How does that make any sense?

Give me a break. When the devs ask for input on a game, everyone always thinks how cool it is that they actually get a say in a game. No one thinks 'Crap! I am getting screwed!'.

@Mega: Yeah, he does seem to tend to ignore some people that disagree with him. But for the most part he seems to respond to any problems people have. *shrugs*

I don't see the problem in submitting ideas and the devs actually using them for a change. For that I think he's pretty cool.

What, like the Bioware-sponsored NPC contest in BG2?

OMG MY THEIF NPC CAN LIEK THROW A SIMITAR AND ALWAYS MISS AND THEN HE FEELS BAD AND DONATES MONY TO THE CHURCH.

There are no doors in Jefferson that are "special game locked" doors. There are no characters in that game that you can kill that will result in the game ending prematurely.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - else one very-very intresting project in post-nuclear world

www.stalker-game.com

took a look, and found atmospheric. it's not exactly a fallout-kind of world, but really real looking. don't think that i'll be able to play it on my system, though... :)

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

Bioware, and Black Isle from the dvelopers I actually like and pay attention to I think have the beest way of dealing with fans. In most situations that is as no one is perfect. i'm sure Obsidian will continue BIS' tradition of that considering that most fo them come from there. No worries.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

It was Feargus who pulled people off of Jefferson to work on Icewind Dale 2, a "slamdunk" that was supposed to be done in 4 months but took much longer. Black Isle was working on Torn using the Lithtech Engine and ultimately Torn was cancelled by Black Isle because the engine wasn't a good fit for the game they wanted to do. Maybe there was some pressure from Interplay management for both of the above but Black Isle was partly at fault.

Iolo, that has nothing to dow ith interacting with fans which is what I was talking. I agree that Feargus made some questionable businessdecisions..

I'm wondering if Feargus would have cancelled Jefferson and VB in the way IPLY did, or what he would have done if he hadn't had left BIS. Though I doubt I'll get him to comment publically...

Hopefully, Feargus does comment on what happened at Black Isle shortly before he left. But Jefferson being cancelled was because Interplay didn't want to pay for the license fees. Of course that didn't stop them from buying Exalted license so that can make bad console games a few weeks later. :lol:

If anyone from Obsidian made any sort of comment on even the slightest possibility of acquring the FO license, that comment will inevitably get twisted into "Obsidian are going to get the FO license!" and the rumour mill begins to churn.

Well, on Gamespot (or was it spy?) Feargus already said that he would love to do Fallout 3 but lacks the money for aquiring the license and getting it done on his own. However, IPLY giving it to them to finish it would be the best solution but this probably won't happen.

Knowing Interplay, they would do a Fallout 3 on the consoles and change everything about it. Sort of like Ultima X has no relationship at all to the previous games in the series and is a slap in the face to the loyal fan of the single player series.

I disliked how Carsten didn't accept criticisms towards his ideas at a certain DaC thread. I read the exchanges between him and some forum users, and felt he couldn't stand up for his points, neither was he accepting criticism. I like it when developers interact with fans willing to give input, but Carsten isn't shaping up to be a JE Sawyer, which is a pity.

I disliked how Carsten didn't accept criticisms towards his ideas at a certain DaC thread. I read the exchanges between him and some forum users, and felt he couldn't stand up for his points, neither was he accepting criticism. I like it when developers interact with fans willing to give input, but Carsten isn't shaping up to be a JE Sawyer, which is a pity.

Please do also read on Silver Styles forums. Carsten is really open to discussions, I found the guys at DaC just bashing on him for some reason I didn't really grasp. Tell them that TB doesn't sell like ice at the beach these days and they go mad.

TB is the best combat system if you want to play a complex battle. If all you want to do is shoot stuff and blow up people then play a FPS.

Carsten doesn't take criticism well.

First I agree with you on TB. But Carsten had been bashed for saying that TB doesn't sell that well (he didn't say it doesn't sell at all which it does) and that pausing battles is a good compromise. For that people went at him. Do you really, really thought that was a fair discussion on DAC?

Maybe you should read the thread regarding the user interface on Silver Style forums which was more civilized. Here Carsten answered stuff like this:

"You're right. Even if only some and not all characters show that effect. Our graphicians already know the issue and will solve it."

Well his comments about how Silent Storm wasn't selling well (he said 24,000 copies?) and that Nival the developer would go out of business soon were unnecessary and not true. Just going by the sales rank on Amazon, I would say Silent Storm is selling reasonably. TOEE (okay so the fact that it was D&D obviously helped) was turn based and was a number 5 seller on NPD numbers for two weeks of the first month it came out. Turn based games can sell, at least more than what he was implying. He could have handled the situation better than that as there were many Silent Storm fans there.