The All Things Political Topic - Those who do not move, do not notice their chains

Gromnir

23 hours ago, Hurlsnot said:

The Bene Gesserit were right.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

https://www.thefashionlaw.com/lego-name-in-copyright-lawsuit-over-leather-jacket-design/

@Gorth

Gorthfuscious I am shocked and disappointed by this latest criminality committed by Denmark, I cannot believe you Nordic people are so dismissive of IP and copyright laws? I dont know what is worse, this callous infringement or the massive NZ KFC chicken smuggling syndicate that was exposed ? ( @Zoraptor I didnt notice you acknowledging  this moral decay in your country ? )

:teehee:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

7 hours ago, BruceVC said:

https://www.thefashionlaw.com/lego-name-in-copyright-lawsuit-over-leather-jacket-design/

@Gorth

Gorthfuscious I am shocked and disappointed by this latest criminality committed by Denmark, I cannot believe you Nordic people are so dismissive of IP and copyright laws? I dont know what is worse, this callous infringement or the massive NZ KFC chicken smuggling syndicate that was exposed ? ( @Zoraptor I didnt notice you acknowledging  this moral decay in your country ? )

:teehee:

An example of artist trying to market themselves and cash in by using design flaws in copyright system.

Like how they registered their copyright two months after LEGO published their set

Argument is that LEGO copied their arrangement of the elements as art in elements itself are different from the original piece and  you can't copyright jackets.

Arrangement of elements claim is mainly based on feeling to see art on jacket (which can't be copyrighted)  as LEGO has added some elements in it and removed other elements.

Feeling based claim get boost from that LEGO's set is official Netflix Queer Eye product and as the jacket was used in the show the set clearly tries to imitate spirit of the jacket and therefore spirit of the art in the jacket.

Interestingly artist has not sued actually breakers of his copyright Netflix and Queer Eye, which used jacket without getting permission from the artist. Although artist gifted the jacket to member of Queer Eye in hopes that it will used in the show, which gives implied permission to use it in the show, but as this LEGO set is marketing for the show implied permission to use the art becomes more muddy. And it seem that they have used in Queer Eye multiple pieces from this artist and this jacket was only one which they have not got license to use art in the marketing of the show.

But in the of day it looks like one of those copyright cases were person sues big company in hopes to get settlement, because copyright court cases are long and expensive. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Elerond said:

An example of artist trying to market themselves and cash in by using design flaws in copyright system.

Like how they registered their copyright two months after LEGO published their set

Argument is that LEGO copied their arrangement of the elements as art in elements itself are different from the original piece and  you can't copyright jackets.

Arrangement of elements claim is mainly based on feeling to see art on jacket (which can't be copyrighted)  as LEGO has added some elements in it and removed other elements.

Feeling based claim get boost from that LEGO's set is official Netflix Queer Eye product and as the jacket was used in the show the set clearly tries to imitate spirit of the jacket and therefore spirit of the art in the jacket.

Interestingly artist has not sued actually breakers of his copyright Netflix and Queer Eye, which used jacket without getting permission from the artist. Although artist gifted the jacket to member of Queer Eye in hopes that it will used in the show, which gives implied permission to use it in the show, but as this LEGO set is marketing for the show implied permission to use the art becomes more muddy. And it seem that they have used in Queer Eye multiple pieces from this artist and this jacket was only one which they have not got license to use art in the marketing of the show.

But in the of day it looks like one of those copyright cases were person sues big company in hopes to get settlement, because copyright court cases are long and expensive. 

I think its ridiculous to sue Lego for something that is so inconsequential. Lets get real for a  moment, its a tiny representation of a jacket on a tiny lego toy. I hope Lego fights this in court for years 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

FL GOP Bill Would Force Teachers To Wear Mics So Parents Can Monitor - Comic Sands

Florida Republicans are once again using their power to fight against teachers and public education.

Conservative Florida representative Bob Rommel recently proposed a bill that puts teachers in the hot seat—and people aren't happy about it.

Rommel publicly pushed the idea of creating a bill to force teachers to wear microphones during school hours.
The reason? So parents could hear and subsequently monitor the lessons being taught to their children in schools.

In the wake of the huge controversy about the teaching of critical race theory—a gruduate school field of study mistaken for teaching an accurate, non-White supremacist version of history—conservative parents and politicians have been fighting tooth and nail to keep educators from teaching anything that might be critical of a White person to their children.

Thus, Rommel has been attempting to create and implement legislation to allow parents to monitor teachers to be sure their children aren't being taught accurate history. He believes he can do so without infringing on teachers' rights.

• Gasp! 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

1 hour ago, majestic said:

Oh, is Lego getting a taste of their own medicine? How... satsifying. :) 

What do you mean, what has Lego done that warrants this ?

John Milton 

I thought that the drone flyovers and sightings would end once the russian ships had left, but it seems reports of drones above protected areas keep showing up. They ought to be pretty stable craft aswell since they've been used in heavy winds, so it's not some small rotordrone going about.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

9 minutes ago, rjshae said:

Wouldn't it be interesting to flip that 180 and let the teachers monitor how parents treat their kids?

Put it on the politicians and let voters monitor how they work?

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

13 minutes ago, Hurlsnot said:

Ok sure, I don't see any potential legal issues with recording a bunch of underage kids and broadcasting it out for everyone. :blink:

This is an overreaction but its because of this irrational and real concern with revisionist history and attempts to teach CRT in schools in  some states. And before someone says " but its not being taught in schools, stop fearmongering BruceVC" 

Thats only  because its been blocked and prohibited in several states or it would be taught 

• Haha 1

John Milton 

4 minutes ago, ComradeYellow said:

Well if American whites stopped acting aggressive, loud, ignorant and fascistic perhaps crap like CRT wouldn't be necessary.  For every action...

So the belligerence and bigotry of some white people means we going to create a selective and misleading view of history and suggest that the success, strength and influence of the US is because of oppression, slavery and racism? It cant  be because of hard work, industriousness, sacrifice and the trials and tribulations of the first immigrants from Europe ?

Yeah right, tell me another one :thumbsup:

John Milton 

On the other side of the world, China's GDP up 8.1% in 2021 which is quite impressive for having a Zero Covid policy and well above the 6% predicted by Chinese analysts (Yes I checked both Chinese and Western sources and they both agree so no propaganda here) but problems do arise in 2022  like Real Estate prices and other things, as the last quarter of 2021 they slowed down to 4% so they're setting a modest 5% for 2022.

We are approaching the Year of the Water Tiger and leaving the Year of the Metal Ox so do expect 2022 to be quite a wild year!  Where Ox is quiet, hard working, tough, and diligent, Tiger is bold and aggressive and hardly adheres to structure so expect political crap to get heated up again.

10 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

So the belligerence and bigotry of some white people means we going to create a selective and misleading view of history and suggest that the success, strength and influence of the US is because of oppression, slavery and racism? It cant  be because of hard work, industriousness, sacrifice and the trials and tribulations of the first immigrants from Europe ?

Yeah right, tell me another one :thumbsup:

What in the world are you talking about? 

KzaM.gif

• Thanks 1

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

2 hours ago, Hurlsnot said:

Ok sure, I don't see any potential legal issues with recording a bunch of underage kids and broadcasting it out for everyone. :blink:

I'm a lot more worried that conservatives fall into the trap of focusing on critical race theory over the actual problem of evolution still being taught in school. When will we go back to properly learn that God Ancient Aliens created all life on Earth?

• Thanks 2

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

12 minutes ago, majestic said:

I'm a lot more worried that conservatives fall into the trap of focusing on critical race theory over the actual problem of evolution still being taught in school. When will we go back to properly learn that God Ancient Aliens created all life on Earth?

Probably more likely to catch them being taught about the War of Northern Aggression.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

39 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

Tbh, every square inch of public schools should be wired for sound and video (except bathrooms of course). :yes:

Well, with smartphones these days, they almost are. 😛

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Hurlsnot said:

Most schools have a few cameras up. But yeah, let's put up high tech surveillance systems. It's not like that money could be better spent anywhere else. 

free money programs is great right up until somebody realizes they need actual pay for the free money.

money is always an issue for schools, and have property taxes pay for public education already leads to shocking disparities in the quality o' facilities. if ultra rich communities wanna spend comical amounts o' money so they may hot-mic their teachers, we say let them do so through private contributions. am suspecting at least a few teachers would quit, but too many o' you vote democrat anyway, so in a state like florida you clowns teaching heliocentrism with spherical planets is already bordering heretical. a few o' you smarty-pants, college educated, lib teachers even suggest that the US civil war was fought 'cause o' slavery.

unfortunate, this silliness need be a state-by-state issue, and as usual schools in less affluent neighborhoods would be the ones to pay the heaviest price as they got less money to spend per student.

instead o' expensive electronic surveillance, could go even more expensive and maybe kill two birds with one stone-- employ those jobless working class people who is part o' the base which desires this kinda nonsense and have 'em act like china/soviet style political officers embedded in classrooms... or perhaps hire steve buscemi(s). 

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

4 hours ago, Hurlsnot said:

That's what I was thinking too... creepy pervs that those politicians are at times 😛

After a few months of listening to how their kids behave in class, some parents might start to have misgivings about the whole thing?

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Does anyone have any resources about the CRT thing? I've only seen brief snippets about it which have given me the impression that anyone opposed to it is either misinformed, or one of those 'You know who talks about race? RACISTS!' idiots who think that acknowledging the racist history of the USA and the flow on effects this has had is somehow a bad thing.