The TV and Streaming Thread: Where is Ricky Gervais when you need him???

Zoraptor

2 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

After all these years I'm still wondering if Guinan was, evolutionary speaking, a pre-Q.

Guinan was QAnon.

/ducks thrown tomato

//runs away

///hides

• Gasp! 3

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Wait, I just learned this new Star Wars show with Bobby Fat is out? Somehow nobody at all is talking about it. Is it that bad?

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

10 minutes ago, Lexx said:

Wait, I just learned this new Star Wars show with Bobby Fat is out? Somehow nobody at all is talking about it. Is it that bad?

No, worse.

Well, and there's this bit:

Boba_1x3_1.jpg

Edited by majestic
  • Gasp! 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

I confess, I don't get the hate for the space vespa gang.  I haven't seen them in context of the show, but it seems kinda like the usual "I'm on the internet and I must show how I hate everything and I couldn't on Mandalorian so I'm going to nit-pick the Boba Fett series apart" kind of thing.

But since I haven't seen it, it could also be godawful in ways that I cannot know without having seen it.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

24 minutes ago, Amentep said:

I confess, I don't get the hate for the space vespa gang.  I haven't seen them in context of the show, but it seems kinda like the usual "I'm on the internet and I must show how I hate everything and I couldn't on Mandalorian so I'm going to nit-pick the Boba Fett series apart" kind of thing.

Maybe, but I by far and large hated much of The Mandalorian and very vocally stated so here on the forums, so while I too haven't watched The Book of Boba Fett (yet, that is), I can still be rather vocal about absolutely hating the design and the idea of a cyberpunk biker gang riding colorful vespas in a gritty Star Wars setting on Tatooine. :p

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

1 hour ago, majestic said:

Maybe, but I by far and large hated much of The Mandalorian and very vocally stated so here on the forums, so while I too haven't watched The Book of Boba Fett (yet, that is), I can still be rather vocal about absolutely hating the design and the idea of a cyberpunk biker gang riding colorful vespas in a gritty Star Wars setting on Tatooine. :p

I'm not saying you can't hate, I'm not saying people in general (or you specifically) didn't hate the Mandalorian either.  I'm not even saying there may not be legitimate reasons to hate the Vespa gang.

But, given the context of Tatooine and its position as a hub for smuggling, I think it should be easy to assume the gang got a series of space-vespa-bike-things that had 'fallen' off the back of a (space) lorry with the bikes having been intended for some other planet entirely other than Tatooine.  Or someone paid a debt off to a gangster with bikes and the gang received them for reasons.  Or a ship crashed and these bikes are the salvage.  Or the gang is from somewhere else and has fallen on hard times and has been stuck on Tatooine with the bikes that they refuse to give up even if means being stuck longer. 

Just hating the vehicles because they're 'colorful' (which is what I've read a lot of) doesn't make a lot of sense to me.  They probably just haven't been on Tatooine long enough to get faded by the suns (and/or are actually being taken care of by people who have the resources to take care of them AND flaunt those resources a bit).  

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Not really liking Boba Fett all that much myself. I don't agree with the complaints that they're ruining the character because he never really was more than a cool looking suit of armor, at least from the movies . My problem is that it's one of those shows that answers every little detail about what happened to him since we last saw him and a lot of those answers aren't very satisfying. He also alternates from being the baddest badass to the assest bad who is ass.

The Vespa gang is more than a bit out of place but it also has Danny Trejo so I think they cancel each other out

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

1 hour ago, kirottu said:

I still don't know why Boba Fett wants to be a crime boss now. Especially since he doesn't seem to want to do any crime.

He's trying to draw someone out by disabling the crime organization maybe? No clue, I've seen none of the SW TV shows, just randomly guessing from what little context I have.

I haven't seen it either but I'd tend to expect those problems to be due to a more meta explanation: role sanitisation.

SW specifically (and Disney in general) have a habit of telling you that leads are in a dodgy profession to set them up with antihero cred, but they seldom actually show them doing bad stuff even when logically they should. And when they do do bad things it's almost always because a redemption ark is incoming or they're mind controlled or whatever. So you would have Boba Fett becoming a crime lord, but also not doing crime lordy stuff like death stick peddling and bumping off rival corner boys because drugs are bad and you simply can't have Marlo from The Wire as a lead in SW.

Probably the best example is Han Solo, whose role as a smuggler got so sanitised that Lucas felt it necessary to retcon Han shooting Greedo first (which was entirely on Lucas, of course). What was Han smuggling for Jabba? Medical supplies, fluffy bunny toys and blankets for orphans? You'd think so... If you're told that someone is a crime boss or smuggler for a crime lord or whatever and they don't behave like it you tend to get ~cognitive dissonance~ from the contradiction.

It's also why I have no expectations for them doing a 'bad guy' series like Darth Bane or whatever. Villain protagonists like- 'realistically' portrayed crime boss- Tony Soprano, Walter White, Vic Mackey or Dexter Morgan may get plaudits for depth of character etc but they're fundamentally incompatible with being kid friendly.

Edited by Zoraptor

6 minutes ago, Zoraptor said:

I haven't seen it either but I'd tend to expect those problems to be due to a more meta explanation: role sanitisation.

SW specifically (and Disney in general) have a habit of telling you that leads are in a dodgy profession to set them up with antihero cred, but they seldom actually show them doing bad stuff even when logically they should. And when they do do bad things it's almost always because a redemption ark is incoming or they're mind controlled or whatever. So you would have Boba Fett becoming a crime lord, but also not doing crime lordy stuff like death stick peddling and bumping off rival corner boys because drugs are bad and you simply can't have Marlo from The Wire as a lead in SW.

Probably the best example is Han Solo, whose role as a smuggler got so sanitised that Lucas felt it necessary to retcon Han shooting Greedo first (which was entirely on Lucas, of course). What was Han smuggling for Jabba? Medical supplies, fluffy bunny toys and blankets for orphans? You'd think so... If you're told that someone is a crime boss or smuggler for a crime lord or whatever and they don't behave like it you tend to get ~cognitive dissonance~ from the contradiction.

It's also why I have no expectations for them doing a 'bad guy' series like Darth Bane or whatever. Villain protagonists like- 'realistically' portrayed crime boss- Tony Soprano, Walter White, Vic Mackey or Dexter Morgan may get plaudits for depth of character etc but they're fundamentally incompatible with being kid friendly.

No comment on Boba Fatt, I stopped caring about anything Star Wars well over a decade ago, but these points you bring up mirror my own criticisms of the vast majority of movies, shows, and vidya games, for that matter, about age of sail pirates. They almost always present this weird romanticized version of pirates. Oh they're crass and rough on the outside, but they have a heart of gold. No! Pirates are terrible people. They're criminals. They loot and pillage, they murder and rape. These people are not heroes, they're not even antiheroes, they're scum.

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

37 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

No comment on Boba Fatt, I stopped caring about anything Star Wars well over a decade ago, but these points you bring up mirror my own criticisms of the vast majority of movies, shows, and vidya games, for that matter, about age of sail pirates. They almost always present this weird romanticized version of pirates. Oh they're crass and rough on the outside, but they have a heart of gold. No! Pirates are terrible people. They're criminals. They loot and pillage, they murder and rape. These people are not heroes, they're not even antiheroes, they're scum.

This is always a matter of historical khan-text. 

I'll show myself out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The Cleaning Lady has been an enjoyable drama thus far, although it seems like there are way too many adverts. Lots of moral grayness on all sides, and things look dire for her sick kid.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

On 1/26/2022 at 4:17 AM, Amentep said:

But since I haven't seen it, it could also be godawful in ways that I cannot know without having seen it.

in the context o' the show, the biker gang reminded us o' the following:

'course the sw version is more sympathetic 'cause in their corner o' tatooine there is no jobs due to the capitalist oppressors exploiting the population. therefore, our youthful malcontents is instant swayed to join bobba's robin hood army 'cause in truth all they want is to be useful and so they do good as they ride into battle on their shiny but curious cheap looking bikes. 

doesn't help that bobba is a doughy and curiously stoopid protagonist who is nevertheless trying to channel elements o' robin hood and a man called horse

is not quite camp 'cause is an absence o' self-awareness. 

am not watching more o' bobba, so have not seen the mandalorian episode. maybe things get better but were not trending in such a direction. we didn't stop watching bobba 'cause o' the tunnel snakes, who woulda' worked better in ice pirates as 'posed to a sw vehicle, but they didn't help neither. 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

5 hours ago, rjshae said:

Is Resident Alien the funniest comedy on TV? It's got my vote.

I haven't seen it so can't say, but I've heard nothing but good things about it.  Right now the funniest current comedy I'm watching is the US version of Ghosts, which I find hilarious.

10 hours ago, rjshae said:

Is Resident Alien the funniest comedy on TV? It's got my vote.

I just started watching this too. I usually prefer my comedies blacker, but the cast is so likeable (especially the kid and Asta and Darcy) that now I don't want bad things happening to them. So far it's funny and very watchable. :yes:

legend of vox machina

predicatable story and familiar fantasy setting

as someone never watch a full episode of critical role a lot of inside joke are possibly pass by unnoticed

but the show doesn't feels self indulgent or left new audience out

movement are fluid voice acting are obviously natural

even singing bard are tolerable

worth watching for anyone interested at fantasy

Edited by uuuhhii

Saw two episodes of that Korean zombie Netflix show "All of Us Are Dead."  The first episode was a pretty good start. The brief prologue, with this scene of a ... suitcase ... 5-10 seconds of utter weird. Nice little horror-visual, almost funny moment.

With 12 episodes, despite a fast pace re: outbreak, they're doing a bit of chr. building re: the highschool kids and some adults, including some pretty horrid school bullying situations where I think one of them is the catalyst for why the zombie virus ends up existing. Doesn't seem to be breaking any molds but it's ok for zombie show. Definitely gloomy vs. humorous. I have the feeling I'm going to think they should have left it to be 10 episodes but we'll see. Anyway, won't break Squid Game's popularity but so far it's entertaining enough for the genre.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts