The TV and Streaming Thread: Where is Ricky Gervais when you need him???

Zoraptor

1 hour ago, Sarex said:

Looks very over the top, so it will either be very good or very bad.

Taika Waititi with Rhys Darby automatically means a combination of utter deadpan and completely over the top. Kind of weird that it works so often, really.

(And the trailer has Jethro Tull in it. My dad would like to put in a request for the next promos to feature something from The Incredible String Band or Steeleye Span, thanks HBOMax. And could you please decouple yourselves from Sky here too, if you're taking requests?)

14 hours ago, Amentep said:

we first started reading moon knight back in the early 80s and thought it were a bit uneven with the writing, but when it were good, it were better than almost anything else we read in comics at the time... and for a long time afterwards. always thought it were a mistake to make moon knight part o' the regular marvel line-up, 'cause the most compelling aspect were marc spector's madness, which were not portrayed as funny or quirky but were a real disability and the title character never knew what was real and what were madness. 

'course daredevil and other nyc heroes ain't any more real than moon knight, but have them interact with moon knight were, in our estimation, a mistake, 'cause as an audience we knew matt murdock while unwell in his own way were not delusional. moon knight were best when you didn't know any better than marc spector whether or not he were fighting crime or just his own demons while perhaps confined to an asylum. 

am nevertheless at least cautiously optimistic 'bout the new marvel show. hawkeye genuine impressed us, so am willing to give moon knight a few episodes o' our time. 

HA! Good Fun!

ps we knew almost nothing o' the young avengers and kate bishop, 'cause such is the point when we sorta stopped with most comics. am glad we didn't know kate bishop from the comics, 'cause after seeing hawkeye we went and looked at her print origins. *groan* we woulda' never given hawkeye a chance if we had read young avengers stuff.  is perhaps why am assuming they go a different way with moon knight than print and we will not initial hold it against 'em for doing so. disney, surprising, has built up some marvel good will with us. 

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

*EDIT* Wrong topic.

Edited by Agiel
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

8 hours ago, Gromnir said:

we first started reading moon knight back in the early 80s and thought it were a bit uneven with the writing, but when it were good, it were better than almost anything else we read in comics at the time... and for a long time afterwards. always thought it were a mistake to make moon knight part o' the regular marvel line-up, 'cause the most compelling aspect were marc spector's madness, which were not portrayed as funny or quirky but were a real disability and the title character never knew what was real and what were madness. 

'course daredevil and other nyc heroes ain't any more real than moon knight, but have them interact with moon knight were, in our estimation, a mistake, 'cause as an audience we knew matt murdock while unwell in his own way were not delusional. moon knight were best when you didn't know any better than marc spector whether or not he were fighting crime or just his own demons while perhaps confined to an asylum. 

am nevertheless at least cautiously optimistic 'bout the new marvel show. hawkeye genuine impressed us, so am willing to give moon knight a few episodes o' our time. 

HA! Good Fun!

ps we knew almost nothing o' the young avengers and kate bishop, 'cause such is the point when we sorta stopped with most comics. am glad we didn't know kate bishop from the comics, 'cause after seeing hawkeye we went and looked at her print origins. *groan* we woulda' never given hawkeye a chance if we had read young avengers stuff.  is perhaps why am assuming they go a different way with moon knight than print and we will not initial hold it against 'em for doing so. disney, surprising, has built up some marvel good will with us. 

First, read the Hawkeye series by Matt Fraction and David Aja from 2012. That's where Kate Bishop comes into her own and it is also the main inspiration for the TV show. Regarding Young Avengers, you might want to try the 2013 series by Kieron Gillen(yes, the PC game journalist is now an acclaimed comic book writer) and Jamie McKelvie. It is really quite good and Kate Bishop features extensively in it.

Regarding Moon Knight, the run by Doug Moench and Bill Sienkiewicz from the early 80s is probably the only one really worth reading. As you say the writing is not always great, but Sienkiewicz's work is always great, even if this came before New Mutants and Elektra: Assassin where he really knocked it out of the park.

Anyway, I also really enjoyed that trailer, and it made me really hopeful for the series, when I was figuring it would be totally ignorable.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Dear Amazon, could you at least put up a 1440 trailer, maybe?

...not that we can tell anything about the show itself from this type of teaser video. In fact I like the brief making-of better than the finished product.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

42 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

Holy crap, now theres 20 rings! Were going to need more Hobbits.

wut.gif

There was always 20 rings.  The One Ring was the issue, the ring Sauron created that gave him dominion over the other rings (and thus the other ring bearers (except, IIRC, the dwarves ended up being resistant to the detrimental effects of the rings, and partially the elves...sucked to be human ring bearers, cause you got to be ringwraithed).

• Like 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

9 rings for mortal men doomed to die, 7 rings for the dwarven kings on their thrones of stone, 3 for the elven lords sipping chardonnay in their treetop swimming pools, one ring to rule them all, hash naz grimbatûl etc etc and yeah I can't be bothered looking it up.

The elven rings were made by Celebrimbor alone, independently of Sauron, so don't have a corruptive effect though they are bound to the One Ring in terms of power output. The Dwarven rings exacerbated the users' negative racial traits- greed, mostly, with a bit of jingosim- but their stubborn nature could not be overcome by them alone. And yeah, men are feeble and corruptible, so for them it's wraith time.

Wouldn't be at all surprised if the Dwarven Rings barely get dealt with at all though.

• Like 2

What We Do in the Shadows: s3 1-4

Holy **** this is brilliant.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Since I have the rona and nothing else better to do, I broke down and watched a tv recommendation that a very good friend of mine made about 8 years ago.

True Detective, Season 1 kept my attention through all 8 episodes and seemed to avoid jumping the shark.

I have to imagine that I was the last hold out, but just in case I'm not...you should watch it.

• Like 2

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

51 minutes ago, Achilles said:

Since I have the rona and nothing else better to do, I broke down and watched a tv recommendation that a very good friend of mine made about 8 years ago.

True Detective, Season 1 kept my attention through all 8 episodes and seemed to avoid jumping the shark.

I have to imagine that I was the last hold out, but just in case I'm not...you should watch it.

Its a good series and worthy of binge watching all seasons 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

peacemaker s01e04

still have the dialogue so stupid it couldn't possibly be funny but somehow even more hilarious

and the extended version of duck debate at the end are amazing

watch this as weekly release are very painful

recommend wait for whole season

Yellowjackets

I quite liked it, but I just couldn't believe people wouldn't be attracted to Christina Ricci's character. Christina Ricci one of the most beautiful women ever. So what if she acts bit crazy? So what if she wears glasses? She still looks like Christina ****ing Ricci. 

• Like 1

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

That reminds me, I need to watch that Lizzy Borden show that Ricci was in...

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man