Vinyl changer

Chilloutman

Hello,

I was thinking. I have quite a lot of vinyls home but my old player is dead. I was thinking if I can get some device which would allow me to stack my vinyls and it would change them automatically. I guess its kinda jukebox but for home use? Anyone knows if something like this is still being produced? 

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Jukeboxes are made, but are expensive ($11,000 or more) so I think you're looking for a record player with a stacking spindle.  Unless I'm corrected, I think the last stackable model released in the US was Crossley's Stack-O-Matic range, discontinued in 2010.  Dunno, international record players.  I've heard some of the 2000s era players with a stacking spindle would have a drop in speed while the new record was dropped and started playing; I think vintage versions didn't have that problem ( at least I don't remember the early 60s record player my mom had having any performance issues when dropping a record and starting playing it but this may also depend on make/model).

A stacking spindle would usually allow you to put in 5-7 discs, typically to start, and you could add records as they dropped and finished so could get through a few records before needing to change the whole stack.  Obviously, could only play one side at a time. Apparently people felt like they could damage the record (despite the fact that records since the 50s were manufactured with a raised label area and edges that would prevent the record resting on the groove part of the record below) so they fell out of favor.  So unless there's an international record player still using a stacking spindle, you'd have to be looking for an older model.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Holly hell you are right, its like 10K for jukebox. Wow

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Not a helpful post:

I still have that 45 spindle around somewhere. I used to use it a lot and I never had any damage issues with it.
I'm pretty certain in the US, even cheap turntables, as long as they had the tall pole vs. just a knub, would "stack" two or maybe three LP's - the one I had could, I remember putting two on a time and the top one dropping down.  Edit: this was on a cheap turntable+radio combo unit type thingie.

The only reason for the 45-spindle - outside of stacking - was because of the different hole size/so you didn't have to use those individual plastic hole-fillers in the 45.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

The tall pole is the stacking spindle. The record player you describe sounds like the one we had with the extra piece for the 45 with a large hole.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

• 9 months later...