Pathfinder Wrath of the Righteous, Part 3

ShadySands

6 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

which stats is iv as 'posed to v? could advise if we know where is the shortfall.

Leadership and Logistics, and they're actually at III, not IV. I've got the XP to progress at Leadership, but it hasn't been happening, while Logistics legitimately lacks XP.

I already failed the quest and I'm not going to do the Midnight Fane all over again (surely the failure can't be that consequential in terms of finishing the game?), but yes, if you have info on this, I am interested. It would be nice to know what I may have done wrong, or what may not have happened that should have. Thanks in advance.

there is decrees linked to level-ups. you gotta make sure the right decrees is addressed'.

for logistics, upgrade outposts and making sure you max building efforts is important. seriously need every outpost slot filled to get a few o' the outpost slot upgrade options. did you max drezen buildings? 

for leadership, you gotta win battles, but if is seeming stuck, then serious double-check decrees to see if any is leadership. alternative, make a save and perhaps skip a few days and see what happens.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

The Logistics one is simple enough: I clearly didn't build enough stuff. So that one's on me, sure. So many buildings seemed not worth it that I didn't bother -- but obviously I should have, for the Logistics gains. (Oh heck, in this game you really have to read the fine print. A case in point: when defending the inn in early game, Irabeth shouts: "Kill the arsonists!" That's your only clue that the arsonists are indeed the key and the only key to the whole battle.)

The Leadership one is odd, as it was stuck for some time, and nothing happened despite me winning more battles. So, a bug, perhaps? I waited quite a few days (like, 50+) because I wanted to do all the relic stuff before I went to the Abyss. But nothing happened on the Leadership front.

Thanks!

Can you please post instructions how to make a celestial velociraptor o'holy smite, Gromnir? The concept's too hilarious not to use, plus very appropriate in the combined world of silly by definition alignments and Owlcat's curious belief that lawfulness = uncompromising brutality. 🦖

As for Wendy, does she really give "T-thanks for t-t-rusting me bonsai baka-chan... *blush*" spiel at some point? I only met her briefly so far, but she didn't give me an impression of anime waifu type of woman. Also, her original art > that fanart. :yes:

lann as a zen archer/hunter (divine hunter) makes the celestial velociraptor a thing. best build for lann is probable 1/19 zen archer/divine hunter, but what you gain late you lose earlier, when the game may actual be tougher, particularly on harder difficulty levels. legendary proportions, now that there is dinosaur bones aplenty, is endgame win, but is a whole lotta levels you go through to get to that point. one o' the nice things 'bout zen archer with three levels is you use wisdom instead o' dex for your accuracy, so you are gonna get considerable early and mid game use from enlarge person coupled with your hurricane bow. three levels o' zen also provides you for free most o' the costly archer feats you want and allows you to ignore many shot and rapid shot in favor o' other feats. boosting wisdom as a primary attribute also allows you to be a bit more creative with your domain selection as most domain powhaz is dependent on either class level or wisdom modifier.

however, for the velociraptor itself, no matter what, add one point o' intelligence at level four, and then go all strength. 

for the sub-class, pick aggressor with the bleed quality and the slight ab boost it offers. aggressor also provides free power attack. a downside to raptor is early it does kinda weak damage and power attack mitigates this shortcoming. do NOT take weapon finesse as recommended, 'cause relative quick your dino's str is gonna be better than its dex. weapon focus (other natural, 'cause talons is other), blind fight and combat reflexes is likely your first three feats. am always choosing blind fight early for animal companions 'cause in battles with foes who have annoying gaze attacks, your velociraptor will be unaffected, and you are not gonna be having partywide death ward for a considerable period of time. 

outflank is a must and so too is seize the moment. is likely a good idea to go with shake it off, but is other ways to boost saves, so is not essential. your celestial animal companion will eventually have sr 25, which in pnp would be nice but given the wotr stat bloat is kinda worthless. save bonuses is thus kinda important, though if you go aeon or angel you is gonna have abilities or spells to grant all kinda partywide immunities. 

at this point all the feat essentials is fulfilled. congrats... though you likely wanna take improved critical, but remember talon is "other" and not claw. 

if you got a skald in your party, some o' this may change, 'cause skalds are able to add natural weapon attacks to your entire party, including your dino, which makes the critter even more insane. with a skald going full beast totem you will have more than 10 attacks per round and seven/eight o' them will be full ab... full ab with the benefit o' smite which adds character level to damage and ignores dr.

the only downside to the celestial velociraptor with smite is the alignment o' the critter remains neutral, so you will not be able to use paladin's bestow grace to boost saves, but as we noted earlier in the thread, with item/spell boosted charisma not only will your smite provide a decent attack bonus, but you should put skill points into umd so your dino will be able to use spells from scrolls. doesn't take much imagination to think how best to use scrolls to sooper power your animal companion.

HA! Good Fun!

ps if you make a main character hunter and really want the velociraptor, perhaps you could try a dual wielding, hasty halfling so you may mount your raptor and ride into battle, though am honest not sure how mounted combat would work with the current free smite for the raptor. being able to smite an unlimited number o' times is serious overkill, but am not having considered how to trigger smite with a mounted character so as not to interfere with the rider's actions.

Edited by Gromnir
  • Thanks 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Thanks a lot! Saved for future. As for

skill points into umd so your dino will be able to use spells from scrolls. doesn't take much imagination to think how best to use scrolls to sooper power your animal companion

my imagination isn't good enough to come up with anything but self buffs I'm afraid, but it produced this instead, so that's still a win:

reading-dino.jpg

• Like 1

Sheesh. I am now in the Abyss. Two observations:

1) Either the Owlcat people are fairly poor designers, or they really want to make things inconvenient for the player. This city is really quite annoying to navigate. And when I say annoying, I mean that there's difficulty without purpose. I like a challenge if there's a reward, but there's none here that I can see.

2) They have borrowed very heavily from the Drow city in Baldur's Gate II. It probably doesn't count as plagiarism, but surely an awful lot of stuff has been lifted from there.

Wendaug is so stupid

Spoiler

I went ascension ending this time and she turned down more power to try to carve out a little bandit kingdom or something that was quickly destroyed. 

She normally never sees the end of the game since I always pick Lann because she's so betray happy but if you don't recruit or kill her in Neatholm then you can pick her up in Lann's last quest

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

7 hours ago, xzar_monty said:

Interesting: in the Abyss, I became one of the fighters (i.e. slaves) in the battle arena, and my Azata fast healing disappeared. It didn't come back even after I became free again (i.e. finished that quest).

fast healing for your main character during act 3, w/o some special other ability, is the result of the proximity to the sword of valor. in the abyss you shouldn't be fast healing unless you took the marvelous endurance sooperpower.

HA! Good Fun!

ps @xzar_monty

am apologizing for forgetting to mention, but am believing the kobold letters decree also need be researched to advance leadership ranks, and if were your first run o' wotr, is extreme ez to overlook this obscure detail. is quite possible you never even went back to talk to the kobold near leper's smile.

HA! Good Fun!

4 hours ago, ShadySands said:

Is the Dark Fate (elves just being ****ty) really the cause of the Drow in Pathfinder? 

no.

wait, you wanted more?

https://pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Drow

the dark fate stuff is the big reveal o' the fifth installment o' the third pathfinder 1e adventure path, and the process o' transformation is a bit more complex than owlcat's wotr implies. is a whole lotta sh!tty elves and they got little chance o' becoming drow. w/o unique circumstances and/or direct demon lord intervention, an elf becoming drow doesn't happen even if the elf is the most hedonistic and sinister a$$bag who having suffered terrible betrayal wishes to punish all elves, but it could happen and the winter council doesn't want such info known.

HA! Good Fun!

ps look at us nerding out. *groan* thanks for ruining our day... not that we blame shady. am now gonna need play rugby w/o a mouth piece, bench press past our limit or something equal stoopid and jocklike.

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Gasp! 1

I believe the Kaylessa/Forn Autumn Gaze story was another backer quest, which might explain why it doesn't 100% jive with Pathfinder's background. If you so happened to bring a certain companion to the random event you do get a moment of surprising empathy:

8RHyMPf.jpg

Though rather predictably your stock goes up a couple of points for her if you decide to let her do the deed.

Edited by Agiel
  • Like 2
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

13 hours ago, Gromnir said:

no.

wait, you wanted more?

https://pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Drow

the dark fate stuff is the big reveal o' the fifth installment o' the third pathfinder 1e adventure path, and the process o' transformation is a bit more complex than owlcat's wotr implies. is a whole lotta sh!tty elves and they got little chance o' becoming drow. w/o unique circumstances and/or direct demon lord intervention, an elf becoming drow doesn't happen even if the elf is the most hedonistic and sinister a$$bag who having suffered terrible betrayal wishes to punish all elves, but it could happen and the winter council doesn't want such info known.

HA! Good Fun!

ps look at us nerding out. *groan* thanks for ruining our day... not that we blame shady. am now gonna need play rugby w/o a mouth piece, bench press past our limit or something equal stoopid and jocklike.

I went down the rabbit hole and spent half the night* reading Pathfinder lore.

So, thanks? :lol:

*I guess it was technically early morning

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

On 1/22/2022 at 4:43 AM, Gromnir said:

am apologizing for forgetting to mention, but am believing the kobold letters decree also need be researched to advance leadership ranks, and if were your first run o' wotr, is extreme ez to overlook this obscure detail. is quite possible you never even went back to talk to the kobold near leper's smile.

I don't remember this at all, so you're probably right: I never went back. Was there an invitation to go back, or something?

As for the Sword of Valor / fast healing thing, that was my bad. Sorry.

38 minutes ago, xzar_monty said:

I don't remember this at all, so you're probably right: I never went back. Was there an invitation to go back, or something?

no.

the kobold gave you advice pre drezen and is our guess you are supposed to intuit the importance of returning to him. no invitation.

am recollecting his decree requires 21 days to complete, so is a significant amount of time invested and am believing it may be a leadership advancement prerequisite.  even if not a prereq per se, am guessing is near impossible to achieve leadership five w/o completing the decree.

no doubt most folks who completed the beta return to the kobold w/o a second thought, but for a person playing wotr for the first time, is an easily overlooked task.

HA! Good Fun!

• Thanks 1

Thanks. Sheesh. This kind of stuff really doesn't make you think that the good folks at Owlcat are expert designers(*).

I particularly dislike metagaming, so I'm one of those people who are very prone to missing stuff like this.

(*) Another example of this kind of stuff: it took me about two minutes to recognize that something fishy is going on with Camelia, and I'm pretty sure this goes for the vast majority of people who play the game. And sure enough, it turned out that something very fishy indeed was going on. How's that for unsubtle writing.

Btw, another peculiarity in the game: after about level 3, I don't think I've ever failed a Persuasion/Bluff/Diplomacy/Intimidate check in a dialogue, nor a Trickery check in disabling traps or opening locks. All the difficulties for those have been set at a level where a character specializing in this stuff will basically always succeed. It's not really a problem, but it is odd. Generally, in cRPGs, stuff like this remains a challenge throughout the game.

1 hour ago, xzar_monty said:

Btw, another peculiarity in the game: after about level 3, I don't think I've ever failed a Persuasion/Bluff/Diplomacy/Intimidate check in a dialogue, nor a Trickery check in disabling traps or opening locks. All the difficulties for those have been set at a level where a character specializing in this stuff will basically always succeed. It's not really a problem, but it is odd. Generally, in cRPGs, stuff like this remains a challenge throughout the game.

player are going to load after a fail anyway

so might as well set dc on low

sand dialogue skill check are effected by difficulty for some reason

so lower difficulty before retry a skill check are convenient

After much procrastination I managed to knock this out:

i5jhu8bexld81.jpg

Because on a world countless lightyears from our own mothers still use Royal Dansk Cookie tins as a sewing kit container.

Edited by Agiel
  • Like 4
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

our sewing kit is held w/i a royal dansk cookie tin, although likely as old as Gromnir and is red.

HA! Good Fun!

• Haha 1

Very nice art, Agiel. :yes:

My sewing kit consists of one black and one white spool that are kept wherever cats cannot reach them. I keep nails, screws, clippies and other random doodads in my royal dansk cookie tin so that dragon would probably be even more disappointed. 

(Also from everything I saw so far it seems that I should avoid playing Azata lest I want diabeetus or at very least, teeth plaque. 🤔)

• Thanks 1