The Cinema and Movie Thread

Amentep

Parasite

I have no complaints about the movie itself. It was perfectly fine. I just don't understand what made it so great to win oscars and whatnot.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

My issue with Army of Darkness was it became a little too self-aware re the OTP slapstick. It was still funny but each bit went on too long.

ED2 was just right of a mix for me.

Darkman also had the mix of dark and weird humor to awful situations to it that I guess I like. Laughed like a loon in many spots, loved Liams perofrmance. "Take the ******* elephant!" And the cigar cutter guy. Felt like a comic book film back then.

His spidey films were fun. Didnt like andrew garfields, and havent seen the newer ones.

Couldnt get into Raising Arizona, found it weirdly boring.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

5 hours ago, kirottu said:

Parasite

I have no complaints about the movie itself. It was perfectly fine. I just don't understand what made it so great to win oscars and whatnot.

People in the AMPAS voted for it. That's all there is to it.

Personally I thought it was a brilliant film and Bong Joon-ha is a fantastic director. Of the nominees in the category that year only The Irishman really rivals Parasite for me.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

4 hours ago, KP wants Blue Velvet said:

People in the AMPAS voted for it. That's all there is to it.

Personally I thought it was a brilliant film and Bong Joon-ha is a fantastic director. Of the nominees in the category that year only The Irishman really rivals Parasite for me.

I think the movie just left me cold, because I didn't like any of the characters. Then again, I don't think I was meant to like any of the characters.  

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Fantastic news! Vinegar Syndrome is putting out a new 4K blu-ray of Miami Connection:

https://vinegarsyndrome.com/collections/frontpage/products/miami-connection

VS-395_slipcover_front_PRE_720x.jpg?v=16

As you know, I'm a big fan of terrible movies and this is one of my favorite terrible movies of all time. It's a masterpiece of hilarious ineptitude. I've long wanted to own a copy of this to have forever, but the old Draft House Films blu-ray has long been out of print. I'm glad I didn't take a chance and buy a used copy of the old blu-ray. It's in good hands with the fine folks at Vinegar Syndrome. I'm happy to give them my money (I ordered New York Ninja and Pizza Girls while I was at it). They genuinely care about the movies they print, they won't sell you some crappy VHS rip.

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Diary of a Lost Girl (1929). It's always good when a film starts off with a huge text dump like this one did:

Spoiler

"Due to censorship, Diary of a Lost Girl was shortened and changed drastically. In 1997, a reconstruction and photochemical restoration of the film as it had originally been intended was created by The Fondazione Cineteca di Bologna, the Deutsche Filminstitut - DIF, Frankfurt am Main, and the Frederich-Wilhelm-Murnau-Stiftung, Wiesbaden. It is based on the dupe negative from the Danish Film Institute, Copenhagen. Most of the missing scenes were added from a contemporary copy from the Archivo Nacional de la Imagen - Sodre, Montevideo. The reconstruction of the edit that was shown in the film's premiere is based on comparisons of the surviving copies, as well as the censor records of the Filmoberprufstelle Berlin. The wording of the German intertitles was created with the aid of German-French intertitles from a copy at the Cinematheque Royale de Belgique, Brussels. A few surviving German titles from a copy at the Archivo Nacional de la Imagen - Sodre, Montevideo served as a model for the typography. The master negative of this edit was used for the 2K digital version. For this HD mastering, the image has been corrected in places, and heavy damage to the film has been retouched."

You could've just said "this was hacked together from ten different surviving versions of the film". There are some scenes (just some - presumably from one of the more inferior masters that they used) that look like this, so if fidelity of ancient film is a requirement of yours, beware:

Turns out, the six or seven second .gif I made was over 200 MB and nothing will host and play it as a .gif - a huge amount of noise makes for very large gifs, particularly at 1080p. Okay, here we go, 54 MB @ 540p is a little more manageable:

mpc-hc64_04ZAhbr0WP.gif

mpc-hc64_eeSpBBRgmr.gif

A couple of oddities, but nothing too distracting, really... :p I can't understate how cruelly unfair it is that so relatively little of the 20s were filmed and especially how little of it was filmed with sound, and never mind any of it being in the least bit interesting. Anyways, the last film was basically Lulu is a clueless/self-destructive womanizer*, and this film was instead Lulu is not a womanizer...but everyone treats her like she is, so then she - surprise! - becomes one. I have to say, big improvement: didn't think I'd ever even sort of really like a silent film, but this was oddly mesmerizing and at least a little brilliant. Strangely, it's literally the same director, lead actress, and year of release as Pandora's Box, but I don't know, I enjoyed it a lot more. The style of everything was different, and I think the weirdly intense soundtrack helped a bit, too - it's amazing what a good soundtrack can sometimes do.

Spoiler

For a film with multiple suicides, rapes, and dead children, it was a bizarrely upbeat film with a sweet message about love, forgiveness, and acceptance. Also, possibly the earliest filmed instance of the "nice guy" phenomenon - to proposition, get turned down, pathetically beg, be concretely rejected...and then immediately turn around and call the object of your affection, and I quote, "a filthy sl*t", :rolleyes:. Such a contradictory and detestable utterance did not go unpunished, fortunately...though I would say, given the circumstances, it was not punished near enough.

Also, the secondary lead actress, Edith Meinhard, has the unusual fate of having been in a pile of German films prior to and during World War 2...and having never been found either dead or alive after the conclusion of the war, :huh:.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 3

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

For the random and quirky film trivia element:

https://mashable.com/article/daniels-story-of-a-girl-everything-everywhere-all-at-once

The filmmakers reached out to Nine Days' lead singer, John Hampson, who Scheinert said was "enthusiastically supportive." Now a teacher with teen sons who "love the multiverse" idea in the script, Hampson did Daniels one better than allowing them use of the quoted lines.

"Not only are the lyrics in the movie," Scheinert explained, "the song itself is in the movie three different times, and they're all actually custom covers that he created for us."

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Now We're in the Air (1927).

LydcmSK.jpg

A 27 minute-long fragment of an originally longer slapstick silent comedy. It was really terrible and...slapstick is just the worst. My curiosity only goes so far here, I'm afraid.

23 hours ago, Keyrock said:

I think I saw smoke coming out of my phone as it tried to load those gifs. 

.gifs are not a great medium for high resolution and high quality video recordings...but they take seconds to make with the screenshot/video/gif-maker tool I have and I can force the rest of you to see them because they automatically play, unlike linking an .mp4 or something. On the other hand, when I try to upload the .gif to Dropbox and it tells me that is has vastly exceeded the maximum file size limit for like a 6 second gif, I should maybe possibly potentially consider a different approach.

Edited by Bartimaeus
I wrote the title of the film wrong

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

2 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

.gifs are not a great medium for high resolution and high quality video recordings...but they take seconds to make with the screenshot/video/gif-maker tool I have and I can force the rest of you to see them because they automatically play, unlike linking an .mp4 or something. On the other hand, when I try to upload the .gif to Dropbox and it tells me that is has vastly exceeded the maximum file size limit for like a 6 second gif, I should maybe possibly potentially consider a different approach.

use .gifv

• Hmmm 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

5 minutes ago, Sarex said:

use .gifv

.gifvs don't automatically embed and play, afaik, and literally the entire point is to make the rest of your guys' eyeballs be forced to see what I'm posting because I know clicking a link is too much trouble for somebody just casually scrolling by, :p

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

.gifvs don't automatically embed and play, afaik, and literally the entire point is to make the rest of your guys' eyeballs be forced to see what I'm posting because I know clicking a link is too much trouble for somebody just casually scrolling by, :p

Spoiler

tumblr_mw66lkNnMa1r2dgsfo1_500.gifv

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sarex said:
  Hide contents

tumblr_mw66lkNnMa1r2dgsfo1_500.gifv

The extension says .gifv, but it's actually a .webp, that relatively new-ish format that's suddenly become very en vogue as of the last few years for cheap and quick downscaled/cached images, animated or not. I didn't think of using that...but on the other hand, I don't have anything that can convert to that either, so I guess it still doesn't help, :p.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Hmmm 1

23 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

The extension says .gifv, but it's actually a .webp, that relatively new-ish format that's suddenly become en vogue as of the last few years for downscaled/cached images, animated or not. I didn't think of using that...but on the other hand, I don't have anything that can convert to that either, so I guess it still doesn't help, :p.

There is this https://imgur.com/a/Awhev

edit: oh and btw, you can use this for .webp Photopea | Online Image Editor

Edited by Sarex
  • Like 1

Please, for the love of all that's good and right in the world, stop it. The only thing that's worse than Mari is Mari with what looks like heavily oversaturated and hyperbright colors. Yikes, I feel like that image directly penetrated my eyes and singed my brain. Feels like Words Bubble Up Like Soda Pop, except... worse.

Edited by majestic
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Gasp! 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

16 minutes ago, majestic said:

Please, for the love of all that's good and right in the world, stop it. The only thing that's worse than Mari is Mari with what looks like heavily oversaturated and hyperbright colors. Yikes, I feel like that image directly penetrated my eyes and singed by brain. Feels like Words Bubble Up Like Soda Pop, except... worse.

Spoiler

qnK2ZqE.gif

• Gasp! 1

On 4/10/2022 at 4:32 AM, Bartimaeus said:

A couple of oddities, but nothing too distracting, really... :p I can't understate how cruelly unfair it is that so relatively little of the 20s were filmed and especially how little of it was filmed with sound, and never mind any of it being in the least bit interesting. Anyways, the last film was basically Lulu is a clueless/self-destructive womanizer*, and this film was instead Lulu is not a womanizer...but everyone treats her like she is, so then she - surprise! - becomes one.

Huh, very progressive for the 20s, having a female character be a womaniser.

• Like 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

8 minutes ago, KP wants Blue Velvet said:

Plot Twist: Laura Dern plays Admiral Holdo in the new David Lynch movie.

• Hmmm 1
  • Gasp! 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

4 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

David Lynch doing a Star Wars film would be something.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

1 hour ago, Keyrock said:

david-lynch-what-did-jack-do.gif

• Haha 1