The Cinema and Movie Thread

Amentep

Wow, that's a lot of X-Men. I think I've seen half of them and remember less than that.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Just now, KP wants Blue Velvet said:

Wow, that's a lot of X-Men. I think I've seen half of them and remember less than that.

13 movies over 20 years - so not quite 1 a year.  Mind you it really didn't pad out until the spin-offs started after the second cycle picked up.  Also, Marvel's done 27 in less time so unless you're series is one character (Bond) you're probably going to rack up a lot of movies.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

6 minutes ago, Amentep said:

13 movies over 20 years - so not quite 1 a year.  Mind you it really didn't pad out until the spin-offs started after the second cycle picked up.  Also, Marvel's done 27 in less time so unless you're series is one character (Bond) you're probably going to rack up a lot of movies.

Yeah, I remember as a kid really loving the first X-Men in theatres and it seemed that most superhero movies around that time put out a sequel every 2-3 years. Marvel's really changed things in regards to output and as a consequence I can't clearly remember most of the movies they put out, they've blurred together for me. I'm also less interested in superheroes now than I was as a kid or up to my mid 20s, so that could be a factor.

Now when I think about it, the Matrix was really ****ing cool to have seen as a kid. I think I watched it in the cheap second run theater that closed and it was, to the yung me, the best thing I had ever seen. Wish I would have caught the newest, but I guess I'll be able to see it soon enough.

Edited by KP wants Blue Velvet

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I didn't see the Matrix until years after it released.  The trailers didn't grab me (and to be honest, I wasn't wowed by it when I did see it, I liked it but it wasn't as big for me as it was for a lot of people).

I may try to watch the four films again at some point, though.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

4 hours ago, BruceVC said:

I have decided to watch all the X-men movies I havent seen before in the correct order which should be 

• X-Men Origins
  • X-Men Days of Future Past
  • X-Men Apocalypse
  • X-Men Dark Phoenix 

Im excited :dancing:

Rememember, if you get the bluray of X Men Days of Future Past, there's the option to watch the Rogue Cut version of the film....

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Since we were unmotivated/tired hubby and I finally saw SW: Rogue One last night. It's been in my (short) Prime watchlist for years, haha.

At the least I didn't end up walking away like I did trying to watch Solo.  It felt like it at least sorta tried to stay closer to the spirit of the first movies. I liked the robot. But they kept having these moments where I felt like we were supposed to care about chrs. demises or happenings and I didn't care at all because they gave me no reason to. The original SW trilogy is no characterization masterpiece, mind, but even less here then in those. Or maybe I just found the two leads unsympathetic, dunno. Still, it was at least watchable and there was no "I hate sand" type cringe...

Sidenote: Last time I saw Forest Whitaker in a "sci-fi" role was in Battlefield Earth. From his small role/makeup/acting in Rogue One, I have decided he should stay far away from any more sci-fi roles.

• Haha 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

death on the nile

why is this movie so long but all the side character have so little time to show their personality

first death took one hour to happen

though the visual are impressive

the obsession with all the rich people stuff are the same with the last movie

6 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

Since we were unmotivated/tired hubby and I finally saw SW: Rogue One last night. It's been in my (short) Prime watchlist for years, haha.

At the least I didn't end up walking away like I did trying to watch Solo.  It felt like it at least sorta tried to stay closer to the spirit of the first movies. I liked the robot. But they kept having these moments where I felt like we were supposed to care about chrs. demises or happenings and I didn't care at all because they gave me no reason to. The original SW trilogy is no characterization masterpiece, mind, but even less here then in those. Or maybe I just found the two leads unsympathetic, dunno. Still, it was at least watchable and there was no "I hate sand" type cringe...

Sidenote: Last time I saw Forest Whitaker in a "sci-fi" role was in Battlefield Earth. From his small role/makeup/acting in Rogue One, I have decided he should stay far away from any more sci-fi roles.

That was probably the first Star Wars movie I've seen that actually felt like a solid sci-fi drama, rather than space opera fantasy. But I agree that the character development aspect wasn't very good.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Those clear visors seem to have no practical purpose.  Good to have pointless melodrama with Gosling

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Apocalypse was such a disappointment I didn't bother with Dark Phoenix. And I say that as a fairly big fan of the films. Days of Future Past even makes up for Last Stand. But Days of Future Past is where the franchise ends, if you ask me.

On a related note, I'm starting a Spider-Man marathon. Never owned a Spider-Man movie before, never even watched a Spider-Man movie more than once before. But once I got out of No Way Home, I knew I had to buy the whole kit and caboodle the second it was available. And now it is.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Spiderman is the perfect everyman fantasy. He's not a space alien, a super scientist, or a cybernetics expert; just a mostly average guy who has a weird accident. That's probably one reason why he (and Batman) have such an enduring fandom.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

afd9320e97955447b6091caf88bd067e--louise

The poster actually appears in the movie itself:

mpc-hc64_IK0mGKoBHd.png

Pandora's Box (1929). German silent films are sort of like delving into an alien culture that inexplicably decided to take up film-making. I mean, that might be all silent films, but I've only seen two, and they were both German, so obviously I can only generalize about the German ones. Anyways, from what I could tell, the gist of the movie is that women, especially those of a certain variety, are the root of all evil in the world. What particular variety of women would that be? Well...I'll let you, the viewer that did not watch the film, guess.

Spoiler

The film ends with Lulu, pictured above, being murdered by Jack the Ripper, if that tells you anything.

• Like 2

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

I got about twenty minutes into Sean Baker's Red Rocket (2021), who also made one of my favorite movies of all time, The Florida Project...but I started getting really skeeved out with it and didn't really want to watch it anymore. I had skipped RLM's video about it because I was looking forward to it, but I now just decided to watch RLM's video about it...and yeah, I guess I now understand why I was getting so uncomfortable with it, even though nothing much had materially happened yet. Looks like a brilliant movie, but it was probably a good decision for me not to finish it. Gross, stressful misery has its limits for me.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

On 3/30/2022 at 5:04 PM, Bartimaeus said:

when movies were a relative new medium, the notion of motion pictures as an artform were an unbounded concept. five minutes o' film showing a woman cleaning out a fireplace were thought no less movie worthy than birth of a nation... and in retrospect, probable more worthy. great sculpture and paintings ordinarily capture a single moment w/o requiring a narrative to be evocative. what makes motion pictures different? so we got un chien andalou and the like.

is unfortunate movies now has a recognized form, but am also admitting a few o' the early great works o' film impress us less than they is s'posed to. am suspecting the urge to achieve edgelord status were no different 'mongst the "legit" art crowd o' the 1900s than it is today.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I once watched the French film "Jeanne Dielman, 23, quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles", which was nearly three and a half hours long and yet whose plot could be fully described in but a handful of sentences because it was 95% performing mundane tasks and routine (albeit beautifully shot!), while the other 5% could perhaps be considered to be part of some kind of narrative. It was an oddly enjoyable film, but I don't think it would fly for most audiences. Pandora's Box was a pretty normal film in comparison to that, but it was also enjoyable enough...though perhaps not without a little bit of cheating. I don't have as much appreciation for the "great works" as film aficionados do - culturally significant they may have been, if I can't really find them significant or at least enjoyable now myself, I'm not going to twist myself into knots trying to change that.

50 minutes ago, LadyCrimson said:

That re:View made me want to rewatch Raising Arizona more than anything else. I will go to my grave saying it's the best Nic Cage movie. Don't @ me.

As for Darkman, I remember being lukewarm on it when I saw it forever ago. I didn't hate it, but for whatever reason it didn't really work for me, and I'm a big fan of Sam Raimi (he's the only reason I have any interest whatsoever in Doctor Strange 2: Multiverse Boogaloo). I rate it well below the first 2 Spiderman movies and light years below Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Wanted to watch Rising Arizona as well, but sadly it's not available in english on Amazon Prime. Big sad.

• Sad 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."