The TV and Streaming Thread: Now up for syndication...

Amentep

TNG Second Chances 

Riker returns to a planet he left and finds himself.

Once again, the story is hurt by the McGuffin (getting the data), because the interest in this is the two Rikers.  While there is some fun bits, rather than have Data & Worf speculate as to why the Rikers are having trouble getting along, it'd have been nice to actually have the Rikers deal with it (and not in the yelling at each other when forced to work together to get the McGuffin way).

EDIT:

OH I forgot, I watched the first two episodes of ST: Lower Decks' first season.

"Second Contact" - a nice introduction to the basic tone of the series, a bit goofy, but ok.

"Envoys" - Beckett kind of annoyed me in this episode.  Still overall funny.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

19 hours ago, Amentep said:

Riker returns to a planet he left and finds himself.

And a hefty amount of overdue child support ?

• Haha 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Then again, would there even be child support in the Federation ? 

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Well, no skin off my nose either way.  But will root for it being garbage just out of spite.

• Hmmm 1

Is that the one with Daniel Radcliffe?

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Adventure Time - Together Again (2021). I hadn't been terribly fond of the two other short movies they did before this (BMO and Obsidian), probably because they're very different from the original show and felt like they were trying to do too much in too short of a time in a different kind of style, but this one focused purely on Finn and Jake, and I actually really enjoyed it - reminded me of the best parts of the original show. It was a nice send-off to the series on the subject of death and brotherly love...except apparently they're going to make a fourth one that sounds totally dumb, but I'm going to pretend that this was the final one that came out, even if it's not.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

7 hours ago, ShadySands said:

Rewatched Horns on Amazon Prime. I dunno what it is about that movie but I really like it.

I like it up until the ending, then it somehow drops the ball.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

It's got some mildly interesting graphics around it. Machin Shin, words in the old tongue floating around as the trailer runs.

How many watch attempts while angling the camera in different directions?

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

13 minutes ago, Raithe said:

It's got some mildly interesting graphics around it. Machin Shin, words in the old tongue floating around as the trailer runs.

How many watch attempts while angling the camera in different directions?

Loved to see the scene in the snow. It was in the beginning of the comics, but not in the books.

Spoiler

Whitecloaks getting a massive upgrade if they are collecting Aes Sedai rings and burning people at the stake.

I'm not against it, but I'm curious about how they can do it.

Edit: I assume the burning woman is an Aes Sedai. Can't she free and defend herself? The White Tower would probably notice after they collected a few rings. What are they doing about it?

Bigger spoiler below:

Spoiler

Aren't they from the same region where the Seanchan discovered a channeling suppressing herb? Maybe it's that.

Edited by InsaneCommander

sign.jpg

8 minutes ago, InsaneCommander said:

Loved to see the scene in the snow. It was in the beginning of the comics, but not in the books.

If it's the scene I'm thinking of, it was also in New Spring.

And I'm guessing we might have elements told as flashbacks from Moiraine's point of view to help set the story.

Edit: Actually on other thought, the other guy had the nine bees.. It could be Tam's flashback memory of war in the snow and the finding of the babe..

Edited by Raithe
  • Thanks 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

WoT spoilers

Spoiler

The burnt sister is a Yellow, if they stick to the clothing colour == ajah convention they seem to be following, and with a bit of Flanderisation it's entirely possible she literally cannot defend herself. That also, of course, would make it the real world equivalent of burning a nurse at the stake. Tangentially, that's not how I pictured Eamon de Valera Valda. The name implied a slightly different appearance...

I hope that Aiel doesn't turn out to be Tigraine or something stupid like that, would be ludicrous since she isn't even a 'proper' Aiel and was ~9 months pregnant.

Presumably they're cutting out Caemlyn entirely from the first season as that Waygate is not in a city (plus Elayne is a S2 casting). That also presumably means no Loial (don't think he's at the Waygate either), which is a bit of a shame if we are getting The Green Man. OTOH, there's no way they can do the full plot of the series on TV, stuff has to be cut.

Overall pretty good trailer though, a lot better than most modern ones and has plenty of hooks for those familiar and unfamiliar with the books.

Edited by Zoraptor

39 minutes ago, Zoraptor said:

WoT spoilers

Reveal hidden contents

The burnt sister is a Yellow, if they stick to the clothing colour == ajah convention they seem to be following, and with a bit of Flanderisation it's entirely possible she literally cannot defend herself. That also, of course, would make it the real world equivalent of burning a nurse at the stake. Tangentially, that's not how I pictured Eamon de Valera Valda. The name implied a slightly different appearance...

I hope that Aiel doesn't turn out to be Tigraine or something stupid like that, would be ludicrous since she isn't even a 'proper' Aiel and was ~9 months pregnant.

Presumably they're cutting out Caemlyn entirely from the first season as that Waygate is not in a city (plus Elayne is a S2 casting). That also presumably means no Loial (don't think he's at the Waygate either), which is a bit of a shame if we are getting The Green Man. OTOH, there's no way they can do the full plot of the series on TV, stuff has to be cut.

Overall pretty good trailer though, a lot better than most modern ones and has plenty of hooks for those familiar and unfamiliar with the books.

Loial is guaranteed. The actor has been announced and some people believe he can be seen in some scenes. It seems he will be basically like a human, at least in size, though.

Spoiler

Maybe a weak yellow sister could end up like that, but if they are collecting rings, then they must have become capable of dealing with "stronger" Aes Sedai.

sign.jpg

WoT spoilers again

Spoiler

While I generally agree they can deal with stronger Aes Sedai in the books, via subterfuge (arrow in the back being the example Moiraine/ Verin uses, iirc, and it's implied it does happen if the Whitecloaks think they can get away with it). And more directly too, if they have to. When Bornhold came up against damane- likely to be far more dangerous than the average Aes Sedai- on Almoth Plain their losses were 'only' 25 (?) men for the encounter, and the damane also included some Seanchan soldiers with them too. OK, the Seanchan were noted to be complacent too after dealing with disorganised rabble mostly, but still.

The only fundamental problem I see with the rings' presence is the implication they got them all via Torquemada'ing Aes Sedai, and that certainly would need some additional explanation. BUt as previous, personally I'm fully expecting the Ajahs to be heavily Flanderised and that most Yellows will- near literally- only be able to heal.

There is also the oddly truncated trailer 3rd Oath implying they cannot use the power as a weapon full stop, but if that doesn't allow an Aes Sedai to defend/ free herself from being burnt alive... It also doesn't fit with the rest of the trailer either and the power obviously being used as a weapon.

(OTOH I wouldn't think you'd actually need a specific Forkroot equivalent to stop someone channeling. Given you need to be able to stay calm and focused there would likely be numerous alternatives available either chemical or physical, or maybe the series will need hand gestures or something)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zoraptor said:

WoT spoilers again

Hide contents

While I generally agree they can deal with stronger Aes Sedai in the books, via subterfuge (arrow in the back being the example Moiraine/ Verin uses, iirc, and it's implied it does happen if the Whitecloaks think they can get away with it). And more directly too, if they have to. When Bornhold came up against damane- likely to be far more dangerous than the average Aes Sedai- on Almoth Plain their losses were 'only' 25 (?) men for the encounter, and the damane also included some Seanchan soldiers with them too. OK, the Seanchan were noted to be complacent too after dealing with disorganised rabble mostly, but still.

The only fundamental problem I see with the rings' presence is the implication they got them all via Torquemada'ing Aes Sedai, and that certainly would need some additional explanation. BUt as previous, personally I'm fully expecting the Ajahs to be heavily Flanderised and that most Yellows will- near literally- only be able to heal.

There is also the oddly truncated trailer 3rd Oath implying they cannot use the power as a weapon full stop, but if that doesn't allow an Aes Sedai to defend/ free herself from being burnt alive... It also doesn't fit with the rest of the trailer either and the power obviously being used as a weapon.

(OTOH I wouldn't think you'd actually need a specific Forkroot equivalent to stop someone channeling. Given you need to be able to stay calm and focused there would likely be numerous alternatives available either chemical or physical, or maybe the series will need hand gestures or something)

Actually

Spoiler

Aes Sedai do need to use gestures in order to channel, so once she is restrained, Valda can relax and enjoy his wine.

sign.jpg

Spoiler

Whitecloaks with a kill count don't make sense. They're in Andor. Andor has strong ties with the White Tower. If whitecloaks were running around Andor trying to round up Aes Sedai either the Aes Sedai would set a trap for them or queen Morgase would revoke the permission she gave the whitecloaks to enter Andor and sick the army on them. This rule of cool story telling **** needs to stop.

I have had this older anime series in my Amazon Prime watchlist forever. Called Vatican Miracle Examiner it's a series like ... well, imagine x-files or something similar except transferred to religious faith-miracle proving/skepticism. Two priests who are sent to investigate/verify if miracles are really miracles. It has a serious/drama tone with minor horror elements, yet occasionally still feels a bit Scooby-Doo.

Anyway, it has an art style I rather like and the two priests are interesting characters, so I keep trying a couple episodes occasionally. Each "case" goes on for 2-3 episodes.  Today I watched a couple more episodes.  I'm not sure how many are left, but I think I'm going to finally just un-list it. If that Tom Hanks movie Davinci Code or similar was one of your favorite things, one might like it, but it's just a little too plodding (or maybe just takes itself a little too seriously) for me overall.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts