Hi everyone

Sarex

23 minutes ago, Humanoid said:

As a career rogue, to be thrown into a starting dungeon filled with enemies completely immune to sneak attacks was not an experience I was prepared to suffer and I abandoned the game pretty quick. So in the end, MoTB was a victim of DnD rules for me. But I tried.

I never finished MotB either, but I'm not a big fan of 'eating' mechanics in console games, either.  Not really a fan of them in PnP either, and usually played where you only paid upkeep in town and as long as your visits weren't infrequent to town, the assumption was made you were repairing equipment and restocking food/water.  So food, water and equipment status only mattered if you were away from town for a significantly long time.

• Gasp! 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Since I live in the country with the worlds largest GDP per capita currently, throughout my life I have had spouts of moments where's I've had enough disposable income to blow on consoles AND PC hardware (who needs cars and wives and stuff right?!).  Whilst I've had some fun with consoles and some of my greatest franchises started on consoles, I always find myself reverting back to Windows, simply because it feels more independent and there's tons of crap you can download like mods and stuff.

I'll probably never buy a console again, especially now that the quality of gaming laptops has grown significantly in recent years, plus more and more PC games like Grim Dawn are integrating controller support fairly well nowadays.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, ComradeYellow said:

Since I live in the country with the worlds largest GDP per capita currently, throughout my life I have had spouts of moments where's I've had enough disposable income to blow on consoles AND PC hardware (who needs cars and wives and stuff right?!).  Whilst I've had some fun with consoles and some of my greatest franchises started on consoles, I always find myself reverting back to Windows, simply because it feels more independent and there's tons of crap you can download like mods and stuff.

I'll probably never buy a console again, especially now that the quality of gaming laptops has grown significantly in recent years, plus more and more PC games like Grim Dawn are integrating controller support fairly well nowadays.

Well said Comrade, PC and Windows ARE the only gaming platform for serious gamers !!!!

Have you ever looked into the number of Mods available for consoles, its shocking and terrible 

• Thanks 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

1 hour ago, BruceVC said:

Well said Comrade, PC and Windows ARE the only gaming platform for serious gamers !!!!

Have you ever looked into the number of Mods available for consoles, its shocking and terrible 

You may not get mods with consoles, but you know what you also never get with consoles?  To spend hours troubleshooting why your audio driver and your graphics card decided to start fighting with your OS when you booted up a new game to play. Shocking and terrible indeed!

😉

• Thanks 1
  • Gasp! 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

The only games I've seen with a good amount on mods for consoles are Skyrim and Fallout 4, and those are both Bethesda games.

Almost all console abandonware games from the days of yore are available for download on PC with the right know-how, and much of them have mods that improve visuals, framerates, and gameplay.  Plus most new games come with zero issues with launch errors unless your PC is either defective or cluttered with malware.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Amentep said:

You may not get mods with consoles, but you know what you also never get with consoles?  To spend hours troubleshooting why your audio driver and your graphics card decided to start fighting with your OS when you booted up a new game to play. Shocking and terrible indeed!

😉

Yes I agree that PC can be more problematic and games can sometimes be difficult to run. But PC  games are generally more  stable nowadays on release ( minus exceptions like Cyber which becomes more and more stable with each patch ) and also troubleshooting driver issues is much easier than the old days before Plug and Play and convenient  things like Windows Updates 

What game did you experience those audio and graphic problems with and what OS do you use?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

16 minutes ago, Amentep said:

😉

God created PCs to test the faithful

Edited by Malcador
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

58 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

Yes I agree that PC can be more problematic and games can sometimes be difficult to run. But PC  games are generally more  stable nowadays on release ( minus exceptions like Cyber which becomes more and more stable with each patch ) and also troubleshooting driver issues is much easier than the old days before Plug and Play and convenient  things like Windows Updates 

What game did you experience those audio and graphic problems with and what OS do you use?

Oh I don't remember what I had, I just remembered hating trying to figure out why stuff wasn't working together - my least favorite aspects of PC.  

• Like 1

The biggest advantage of PC is mods, so if you want to play as a redheaded Jill Valentine wearing a tiny bikini and being chased by a T-Rex, then PC is where it's at. The advantage of consoles is that stuff just works (Todd_Howard.jpg)... Except when it doesn't. I guess PC can also potentially have nicer looking pixels, but even last gen consoles have some really good looking pixels, so whatever. I mean, I think even SNES and Genesis era pixels still look quite good, but you go forward one gen to the early days of polygons and you get some really ugly pixels... I don't know where I'm going with this.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

14 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

I don't know where I'm going with this.

Something about a badly pixelated Resident Evil 9 taking place on an Island with Dinosaurs.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

1 hour ago, KP the meanie zucchini said:

Something about a badly pixelated Resident Evil 9 taking place on an Island with Dinosaurs.

Dino Crisis?

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

27 minutes ago, Amentep said:

Dino Crisis?

Hot damn, it already exists. And is on console to boot. Sorry @Keyrock, you'll have to find another example that only mods can do.

• Haha 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

1 hour ago, Amentep said:

Dino Crisis?

33 minutes ago, KP the meanie zucchini said:

Hot damn, it already exists. And is on console to boot. Sorry @Keyrock, you'll have to find another example that only mods can do.

Does Dino Crisis have a thicc Jill Valentine wearing barely anything and with jiggle physics?

• Haha 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

11 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

Does Dino Crisis have a thicc Jill Valentine wearing barely anything and with jiggle physics?

Jiggle physics didn't exist in the 90s so no. I guess we'll have to wait for the remaster. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Gasp! 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, KP the meanie zucchini said:

Jiggle physics didn't exist in the 90s so no. I guess we'll have to wait for the remaster. 

Dead or Alive had proto-jiggle physics with bouncing breasts mode in 1996.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Hmmm 1
  • Gasp! 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

22 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

I like the first one, and I love the second one, but the third one I didn't realize how surprisingly mediocre it was until I re-visited and played all of them through probably 4-5 years ago now. Even the music is pretty bleh, which is a little shocking for Rare at that time.

I'm one of the people who liked the first one more. Not for any particularily objective reason. The second one plays better still than the first one, has more to do, arguably better designed levels and more gameplay elements with the animal companions more varied and interesting, and different gameplay mechanics between Dixie and Diddy.

And yet... nothing in Donkey Kong Country 2 comes close to the atmosphere of Gorilla Glacier, or the jungle levels set at sunset. I also - not surprising, is it - like the art style of the first one more.

I agree on the third one, I only noticed after I got my SNES mini not that long ago and installed a couple more games through hakchi2. I had fond memories of it, but the actual game wasn't nearly as good as the other two, and it also didn't do too well with the emulation, but that's not entirely the fault of the game itself. It's just a bit... uninspired. :)

Edited by majestic
  • Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

1 hour ago, Keyrock said:

Dead or Alive had proto-jiggle physics with bouncing breasts mode in 1996.

Those usenet debates about whether that was the end of society as we knew it or not was fun.

15 minutes ago, Amentep said:

Those usenet debates about whether that was the end of society as we knew it or not was fun.

I got a kick out of the pearl clutching.

• Haha 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

DKC2 lacked the little/large buddy dynamic that actually had gameplay implications when it came to dealing with enemies. Then DKC3 went about re-implementing it in the worst possible way with characters the average player would feel nothing for.

...but at least it wasn't DK64.

• Like 1

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

28 minutes ago, Humanoid said:

but at least it wasn't DK64.

imgbin-donkey-kong-64-donkey-kong-countr

Moved a number of posts (that had little to do with gaming) to a new thread in WoT...

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein